Bradley Train Wreck

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bradley Train Wreck

Postby Valleyball » January 22nd, 2015, 6:31 pm

Yes she announced her "retirement" will be at the end of May.

Ray Lahood has been a rumored replacement for a while.
Valleyball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby saluki762 » January 22nd, 2015, 8:39 pm

I sure hope you guys screw this up.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » January 23rd, 2015, 9:30 am

saluki762 wrote:I sure hope you guys screw this up.

Let's hope they hire Jim useLes back...he was easy to hate and had that basketball program going nowhere fast! Geno is just too darn likable...but I do approve of where he's taken the program, picked right up where Jimmy Boy left off.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Valleyball » January 23rd, 2015, 7:54 pm

I really like Geno. I REALLY wanted him to succeed. But I have to go by what I see. I just don't think he can coach.
Valleyball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby squirrel » January 24th, 2015, 11:26 am

I think Geno can coach, but for a variety of reasons it hasn't worked out here.

I think on the administrative side of things, he's not a program builder. I also think things were so bad when he arrived in Peoria, that rather than target specific things while recruiting, we just acquired players. When those players didn't work out, we kept replacing them. This past year's recruiting class was probably the first where we went after specific needs. Throw in the fact that most of our DI transfers have been wasted on the equivalent of one good player (Grier's offense and Shaw's defense/rebounding), we see the results just simply aren't there. I think it's more that things never gained traction.

But putting a new coach in place now is vital, with 9 players (at this point at least) scheduled to graduate in 2016, you don't want to throw a first year coach into that in that situation in the spring.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » January 24th, 2015, 10:02 pm

Valleyball wrote:Ray Lahood has been a rumored replacement for a while.

The same Ray LaHood who was Secretary of Transportation until recently? And was a Congressweasel before that?
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Mikovio » January 25th, 2015, 9:07 am

Yes Ray LaHood was US Secretary of Transportation from 2009-14. I interned for him while he was in Congress. Not to get political on here but he was a moderate who had friends on both sides of the aisle and sadly his type is endangered in Congress these days, which is a big reason why nothing gets done. I know he works for a prominent law firm now and gets paid very, very well to give speeches across the country. He's a very popular figure and for good reason. He'd be taking a pay cut to serve as president so just the fact he is interested says a lot about his commitment to the university.

As for "UseLes", he's 14-4 and in first place in the Big West and last I checked he has 2 more NCAA wins and 1 more NIT win than ISUr's golden boy Dan Muller. I don't want to bring him back but we could do worse.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MVCfans » January 25th, 2015, 9:33 am

Wessler had a pretty poignant article today addressing the aparthy within the program:

http://www.pjstar.com/article/20150124/ ... B1C43.uxfs
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby squirrel » January 25th, 2015, 11:00 am

Mikovio wrote:
As for "UseLes", he's 14-4 and in first place in the Big West and last I checked he has 2 more NCAA wins and 1 more NIT win than ISUr's golden boy Dan Muller. I don't want to bring him back but we could do worse.

Yeah, and with an overall of 196-209 and 94-143 in league. So even with his tremendous success this year, he is still a loser.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jwa123 » January 25th, 2015, 1:19 pm

I agree with Mikovio about Ray Lahood. Ray Lahood is an honorable man who worked honestly in Washington for the good of his country and for the good of his district. He was not and currently is not a Congressweasal. To implore such terms is to be ignorant of the facts.

I disagree with Mikovio on comparing Jim Les' records againt Dan Mueller. Dan Mueller is in the midst of his third season while Mikovio present the Les record from over a decade. I'm not saying Mueller is a wonder coach or that he is a coachweasal as the jury is still out even among many Redbird fans. What I am saying is you are comparing apples and oranges to make your disparaging comment. Let's revisit this in seven years when if Mueller is still the coach at Illinois State we can compare his 10 year record to the Les first 10 years of coaching.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball