Bradley Train Wreck

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bradley Train Wreck

Postby unipanther99 » January 30th, 2015, 12:49 pm

If they can't go big, they might as well move out of Carver and go to the the on-campus gym, just as Drake did 20 years ago.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby squirrel » January 30th, 2015, 1:08 pm

bufan42 wrote:5 straight play-in years.

4 under geno ford.

This program is almost 100% irrelevant.

There will be a new coach next year and it desperately needs to be a guy that can instill discipline and credibility to what has become a laughingstock of a program.

And unless Hell freezes over, we will have been a play-in team in 10 out of the 19 years the Valley has had all 10 teams in the tournament, and only won 2 total games from the round.

2 were Molinari (1998, 2002). He has both play-in wins. 1998 Bradley became the first and only play-in team to reach the semis, a mark which still stands.

4 were Les (2003-05; 2011). Record 0-4.

And we've remained on with the last 4 as you noted, with Geno going every year, and also going 0-4.

Overall in the quarterfinals, Bradley is 8-3. The problem has been just getting there.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » January 30th, 2015, 4:25 pm

Dean Wormer wrote:
Play Angry wrote:I would hope they can come up with the cash. Fan apathy is the most dangerous thing of all and it doesn't take many years without hope for it to set in.

Yes indeed. See Evansville before and then after the Steve Merfeld years.

Dean, you beat me to it. Barely over 4,000 for the ISUb game, and that was with 150 ISUb fans in the stands . Team with a 15-5 record, and playing for 3rd place in the Valley. I've always said that if the Aces could put a winning team on the floor, the fans would come back. I'm beginning to wonder if that is true.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PapaBear » January 31st, 2015, 12:57 pm

squirrel wrote:Bradley WILL have a new coach in 2015-16.

The situation is wholly untenable.

No doubt needs to happen--but it would be very costly and we are deficit spending--Since things are sooo bad (and will get worse before they get better)--it might make sense to save a bunch of $$ next year and move back on campus (since our contract with the civic center is up)--get our own parking and concession money etc ( and have the $$ to pay off Ford's contract) and play in a packed house on campus--then maybe the civic center would lure us back with a better $$ deal when we get back on our feet??
Bear down
PapaBear
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BradleyFan71 » January 31st, 2015, 11:35 pm

PapaBear wrote:
squirrel wrote:Bradley WILL have a new coach in 2015-16.

The situation is wholly untenable.

No doubt needs to happen--but it would be very costly and we are deficit spending--Since things are sooo bad (and will get worse before they get better)--it might make sense to save a bunch of $$ next year and move back on campus (since our contract with the civic center is up)--get our own parking and concession money etc ( and have the $$ to pay off Ford's contract) and play in a packed house on campus--then maybe the civic center would lure us back with a better $$ deal when we get back on our feet??

You really think the place will be packed on campus? I highly doubt it if Geno is still around!
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WSpringsBird » February 1st, 2015, 6:32 am

Just curious: How does the timing of all these changes work? I suppose you would normally want the next university president to pick the new AD (assuming that change occurs), with the AD, in turn, picking the new coach. Is there time for all this to happen, given that the new president won't be on board until the second half of the year, at the earliest? Will there be an interim president? Does this time crunch potentially lead to Geno getting another year in the job? For all I know, the answers to these questions have been posted--but I have not seen them.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby squirrel » February 1st, 2015, 1:12 pm

We might do things a little out of order.

We may have a new AD in place before a permanent president. Of course our new president may be a very short term solution (2-3 years). So the board can put any AD in place it wants. Either way the president probably won't have much immediate influence on athletics.

This will all be made clearer before the end of the season.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » February 1st, 2015, 1:26 pm

Maybe the Braves and Bears could just switch coaches a couple years till our coaches contracts dwindle!
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ISUBirds89 » February 1st, 2015, 1:31 pm

squirrel wrote:We might do things a little out of order.

We may have a new AD in place before a permanent president. Of course our new president may be a very short term solution (2-3 years). So the board can put any AD in place it wants. Either way the president probably won't have much immediate influence on athletics.

This will all be made clearer before the end of the season.

Any news on when Cross will be canned? Seems to be a certainty that Cross and Ford will be gone.

As an ISU fan I hope Bradley turns it around. Don't like seeing the rivalry on life support or a university in such bad fiscal shape.
ISUBirds89
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby glm38 » February 1st, 2015, 1:51 pm

bleach wrote:Maybe the Braves and Bears could just switch coaches a couple years till our coaches contracts dwindle!

Ha Ha - that 's a good one. Also everytime I see this thread I think it's just a matter of time before there is a "MSU Train Wreck" or similar thread. We just haven't as bad as Bradley for as long. But I truly don't think we have any hope of being anything beyond mediocre until we get a coaching change. Lusk works hard but he just doesn't seem to be a good coach.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball