MVC Games - 11/18/15

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games - 11/18/15

Postby glm38 » November 22nd, 2014, 1:28 pm

Just got around to watching the rest of the Shockers Memphis game. As others have stated a little ragged on offense but great at the other end. At times Baker looks to me like a man playing against boys. He looks like he can get a good shot whenever he wants.

I was impressed with Carter too. He looks bigger and stronger this year. He'll be a load for the rest of the conference.

Evan Wessel? I get that he's a smart player and plays good D. But he looks horrid on offense. If he plays a lot of minutes I could see that being a real liability against the better teams especially come the big dance.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » November 22nd, 2014, 1:56 pm

glm38 wrote:Just got around to watching the rest of the Shockers Memphis game. As others have stated a little ragged on offense but great at the other end. At times Baker looks to me like a man playing against boys. He looks like he can get a good shot whenever he wants.

I was impressed with Carter too. He looks bigger and stronger this year. He'll be a load for the rest of the conference.

Evan Wessel? I get that he's a smart player and plays good D. But he looks horrid on offense. If he plays a lot of minutes I could see that being a real liability against the better teams especially come the big dance.

Evan does a couple of things better than anyone on the Shockers: set screens, gets loose balls. He is not nearly as talented as any of the other front court players, and he should be backing up Cotton at the three. Coach Marshall did mention that Wessell is 56-1 in games he's played as a Shocker. In games he played in high school he was 85-3 with three or four state titles. In high school football he was 30 something and 4 with three state titles. Kids a winner.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » November 22nd, 2014, 6:42 pm

glm38 wrote:Evan Wessel? I get that he's a smart player and plays good D. But he looks horrid on offense. If he plays a lot of minutes I could see that being a real liability against the better teams especially come the big dance.

I think he's a liability playing the 4 given his size against bigger teams, but I don't think that's a problem in the Valley.

In the Dance, yeah. Hopefully by the time the Dance rolls around WSU will have a better developed 4/5 height lineup. That'll likely depend on Shaq's continued performance and Nurger's development.

As a 3, though, Wessel's tremendous, lack of offensive ability or not.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 22nd, 2014, 7:21 pm

rlh04d wrote:
glm38 wrote:Evan Wessel? I get that he's a smart player and plays good D. But he looks horrid on offense. If he plays a lot of minutes I could see that being a real liability against the better teams especially come the big dance.

I think he's a liability playing the 4 given his size against bigger teams, but I don't think that's a problem in the Valley.

In the Dance, yeah. Hopefully by the time the Dance rolls around WSU will have a better developed 4/5 height lineup. That'll likely depend on Shaq's continued performance and Nurger's development.

He can play. I'm not doubting that. But in the past couple of years the games I've seen he's shown an inability to hit even wide open shots. That's often a huge liability.

Shockers looked great overall.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 22nd, 2014, 7:24 pm

glm38 wrote:
rlh04d wrote:

He can play. I'm not doubting that. But in the past couple of years the games I've seen he's shown an inability to hit even wide open shots. That's often a huge liability.

Evan was a starter for the first 9 games of his sophomore season before having a season ending injury. He shot 40% from three that year.

Last year he missed his first 20 something 3s. It's important that he return to form as a sophomore for him to have any impact.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » November 22nd, 2014, 7:57 pm

glm38 wrote:He can play. I'm not doubting that. But in the past couple of years the games I've seen he's shown an inability to hit even wide open shots. That's often a huge liability.

I agree, but really it's just last year and two games so far this year. He was very productive his freshman year prior to the injury, and he's only taken four shots so far this year. He made his first? three in the exhibition game, though.

So the real question is ... was last year just a matter of losing his confidence and now he'll revert back to being at least a decent offensive threat, or was his freshman year an anomaly?

He wouldn't be taking threes if he wasn't capable of making them. So the question for me is whether he ever gets his confidence back.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » November 22nd, 2014, 9:12 pm

I like Evan's defense even against most bigger players. He is smart and knows how to use his strength, bulk, and quickness to push them out from the block to uncomfortable positions. He doesn't allow them to get the ball down low very often and does a nice job. We'll have to wait and see how his offense and playing time develop, but there is nobody else more effective than he is on defense imo.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball