MVC Games - 11/18/15

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games - 11/18/15

Postby BradleyFan71 » November 19th, 2014, 11:42 am

Aargh wrote:I must still be in my kinder, gentler posting mode.

Drake isn't very good. Trust me, that's the kinder and gentler description.

So we're on pace for yet another Bradley/Drake showdown in STL. I can hardly wait!
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PowderBlue » November 19th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Wufan wrote:ISUb goes down to St Louis.

Ugly game. Khristian Smith came out with 2 fouls a little over halfway through the first half and the wheels came off. They looked incredible for the first 9 minutes, flying around on defense, owning the boards, great movement on offense. After that it was just awful. No ball movement. Poor shooting. Guys pointing fingers on defense instead of helping. Bad, bad, bad. Hopefully that isn't the norm. Yuck.

Lansing mentioned in his postgame that the lack of focus has been an issue in practice as well. Sadness ensued.
PowderBlue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby rlh04d » November 19th, 2014, 4:32 pm

PowderBlue wrote:

Ugly game. Khristian Smith came out with 2 fouls a little over halfway through the first half and the wheels came off. They looked incredible for the first 9 minutes, flying around on defense, owning the boards, great movement on offense. After that it was just awful. No ball movement. Poor shooting. Guys pointing fingers on defense instead of helping. Bad, bad, bad. Hopefully that isn't the norm. Yuck.

Lansing mentioned in his postgame that the lack of focus has been an issue in practice as well. Sadness ensued.

I missed this game. Was there a lot of potential I can't see in the box score? 32% at home LOOKS bad, but I learned my lesson about having opinions based on box scores.

I'll hang up and listen.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » November 19th, 2014, 4:38 pm

rlh04d wrote:
PowderBlue wrote:

I missed this game. Was there a lot of potential I can't see in the box score? 32% at home LOOKS bad, but I learned my lesson about having opinions based on box scores.

I'll hang up and listen.

There are only two possible explanations in the entire world, one involves plastic wrap over the basket, and the other involves a basketball with a remote-controlled electromagnet inside being controlled by an assistant on the opposing team.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » November 19th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
There are only two possible explanations in the entire world, one involves plastic wrap over the basket, and the other involves a basketball with a remote-controlled electromagnet inside being controlled by an assistant on the opposing team.

Two possible explanations you say?

jtuner38 wrote:It was either just 1 bad game, or IUPUI is gonna be better then they have been in the past. Simple as that.

Your two explanations are likely more accurate than his.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby COUTEAU » November 19th, 2014, 8:07 pm

MIAMI OHIO....50
ACES............69

go aces
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » November 22nd, 2014, 1:28 pm

Just got around to watching the rest of the Shockers Memphis game. As others have stated a little ragged on offense but great at the other end. At times Baker looks to me like a man playing against boys. He looks like he can get a good shot whenever he wants.

I was impressed with Carter too. He looks bigger and stronger this year. He'll be a load for the rest of the conference.

Evan Wessel? I get that he's a smart player and plays good D. But he looks horrid on offense. If he plays a lot of minutes I could see that being a real liability against the better teams especially come the big dance.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 22nd, 2014, 1:56 pm

glm38 wrote:Just got around to watching the rest of the Shockers Memphis game. As others have stated a little ragged on offense but great at the other end. At times Baker looks to me like a man playing against boys. He looks like he can get a good shot whenever he wants.

I was impressed with Carter too. He looks bigger and stronger this year. He'll be a load for the rest of the conference.

Evan Wessel? I get that he's a smart player and plays good D. But he looks horrid on offense. If he plays a lot of minutes I could see that being a real liability against the better teams especially come the big dance.

Evan does a couple of things better than anyone on the Shockers: set screens, gets loose balls. He is not nearly as talented as any of the other front court players, and he should be backing up Cotton at the three. Coach Marshall did mention that Wessell is 56-1 in games he's played as a Shocker. In games he played in high school he was 85-3 with three or four state titles. In high school football he was 30 something and 4 with three state titles. Kids a winner.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » November 22nd, 2014, 6:42 pm

glm38 wrote:Evan Wessel? I get that he's a smart player and plays good D. But he looks horrid on offense. If he plays a lot of minutes I could see that being a real liability against the better teams especially come the big dance.

I think he's a liability playing the 4 given his size against bigger teams, but I don't think that's a problem in the Valley.

In the Dance, yeah. Hopefully by the time the Dance rolls around WSU will have a better developed 4/5 height lineup. That'll likely depend on Shaq's continued performance and Nurger's development.

As a 3, though, Wessel's tremendous, lack of offensive ability or not.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 22nd, 2014, 7:21 pm

rlh04d wrote:
glm38 wrote:Evan Wessel? I get that he's a smart player and plays good D. But he looks horrid on offense. If he plays a lot of minutes I could see that being a real liability against the better teams especially come the big dance.

I think he's a liability playing the 4 given his size against bigger teams, but I don't think that's a problem in the Valley.

In the Dance, yeah. Hopefully by the time the Dance rolls around WSU will have a better developed 4/5 height lineup. That'll likely depend on Shaq's continued performance and Nurger's development.

As a 3, though, Wessel's tremendous, lack of offensive ability or not.

He can play. I'm not doubting that. But in the past couple of years the games I've seen he's shown an inability to hit even wide open shots. That's often a huge liability.

Shockers looked great overall.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball