Game 11/20

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Game 11/20

Postby PantherSigEp » November 20th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Panthers settling down and wearing out the Bears. 58-45 with 7 mins left. MSU has 15 fouls in the 2nd half. After getting outrebounded 23-12 in the first half the Panthers have done a much better job on the glass in this half. Still losing the overall battle 34-27 but much better than the 1st half. Bozeman has just 4 pts in the 2nd half.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » November 20th, 2014, 9:17 pm

Pulling away. Way to not blow it. Things are looking up.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » November 20th, 2014, 9:22 pm

Tuttle and Washpun both have 12. Mitchell with 11 and Jesperson with 10. Jeremy Morgan has 10 in his first game without getting called for a plethora fouls.

17 fouls for Morgan St (Bozeman now has 3; Panthers drawing a foul on every drive by Mitchell and Tuttle).

67-49 2:50 left
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » November 20th, 2014, 9:26 pm

Just goes to show it doesn't matter how bad a team is at shooting. If you give them 21 offensive boards even the school for the blind is going to hit some shots and close the gap.

Good job by the coaches and Panthers to make adjustments in the 2nd half and really run Morgan St out of the building.

Panthers lose the rebound battle 38-33 but I'll take it after that dreadful first half.

5 Panthers score in double figures led by 13 from both Deon and Jesperson. Really the biggest negatives from tonight, besides that awful rebounding and hustle performance in the 1st half, is the fact that UNI didn't have any meaningful contributions from Matt Bohannon or Nate Buss. They went 0-6 shooting.

Bohannon is especially concerning. I think he hit a 3 in the North Dakota game but he went 0-3 in the first couple minutes against SFA and did the same thing tonight. He took a few games to warm up last year before shooting very well in MVC play but still. This can't be the trend for the rest of the non-con and next year. Thankfully Lohaus and Jesperson have both provided some very productive mins at the 3 on O and D to make up for some of those struggles. If Bohannon and Buss had been rolling to tonight as well, boy, that would've been scary.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » November 20th, 2014, 9:48 pm

Looks like that law of averages thing worked out pretty well in the second half. that and Morgan State fouling "a bit".

Grats on a great second half.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » November 20th, 2014, 11:03 pm

Aargh wrote:Looks like that law of averages thing worked out pretty well in the second half. that and Morgan State fouling "a bit".

I think Cdizzle went into the locker room and told them to rebound and play D. Apparently they had forgotten because they did a heck of a better job at both in the 2nd half.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » November 21st, 2014, 8:08 am

That was a completely different team in the second half. They came out with some fire, and decided to prove they were the better team. If they get that kind of effort all the time they can be scary good. Maybe not Wichita good, but still pretty damn good.

I am not as concerned about Bo or Buss. Bohannon started off dreadfully bad in non-con last year too. Buss just wasn't a good matchup with the big guys Morgan State had. He isn't big enough to defend them plus who knows if his toe was hurting him again or not.

Hopefully they play to their level against North Florida on Saturday instead of playing to the oppositions level for half the game.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » November 21st, 2014, 8:44 am

North Florida isn't terrible apparently. They only lost by 2 at Northwestern last night.

Need to have some fire on Saturday. Unfortunately, its a 1:00 tip off during Football Tailgating and they WAY overpriced tickets ($25) for this one. Announced will be around 3500, but lots and lots of those people will be out in the parking lots...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » November 21st, 2014, 9:22 am

PantherSigEp wrote:
Aargh wrote:Looks like that law of averages thing worked out pretty well in the second half. that and Morgan State fouling "a bit".

I think Cdizzle went into the locker room and told them to rebound and play D. Apparently they had forgotten because they did a heck of a better job at both in the 2nd half.

:dance:

I do what I can. Gotta keep not blowing it until that VCU game! Also, maybe find like 3 ballhandlers that don't get flustered by that time also.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » November 21st, 2014, 10:54 am

Cdizzle wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:

:dance:

I do what I can. Gotta keep not blowing it until that VCU game! Also, maybe find like 3 ballhandlers that don't get flustered by that time also.

This will be the third time Deon has faced VCU. He has 29 points, 12 boards, 7 assists and 7 turnovers in the first two meetings with them.

Wes Washpun had 9 points, 5 boards, 3 assists and 3 turnovers last year

Morgan and Bohannon both played 20+ minutes against them last year

In the two games we have played them, UNI has had 35 turnovers, high for us, but not at the level that "Havoc" is used to turning teams over as it has only led to 8 fast break points for them.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball