Future Games/Scheduling

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Future Games/Scheduling

Postby Red » August 18th, 2015, 11:10 am

Why are the same two teams playing each other in this again anyway? It would be nice to see a different matchip.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » August 18th, 2015, 2:10 pm

Red wrote:Why are the same two teams playing each other in this again anyway? It would be nice to see a different matchip.

Part of the agreement the first time was a return game to begin with, and I don't think it was supposed to be part of the 24 hour tip off. However, ESPN called and said "Hey, you want a nationally televised game?" and UNI and SFA both said "Yup"
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAndWhite » August 26th, 2015, 4:59 pm

Once again Evansville somehow comes up with a horrible schedule.

Man this is getting depressing.

http://www.courierpress.com/sports/ue/u ... e-schedule

Evansville 2015 nonconference schedule (home games IN CAPS)

11/7 — WABASH COLLEGE (exhibition)
11/15 — SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE
11/17 — MARIAN (NAIA)
11/21 — BELMONT
11/26 — vs. Providence at Wooden Legacy in Fullerton, Calif.
11/27 — vs. Santa Clara/Arizona at Wooden Legacy in Fullerton, Calif.
11/29 — vs. TBA at Wooden Legacy in Anaheim, Calif.
12/1 — ALABAMA STATE
12/5 — at Murray State
12/8 — at Arkansas
12/12 — MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE
12/17 — NORFOLK STATE
12/20 — at Fresno State
12/22 — ALABAMA A&M
PurpleAndWhite
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby AndShock » August 26th, 2015, 7:08 pm

PurpleAndWhite wrote:Once again Evansville somehow comes up with a horrible schedule.

Man this is getting depressing.

http://www.courierpress.com/sports/ue/u ... e-schedule

Evansville 2015 nonconference schedule (home games IN CAPS)

11/7 — WABASH COLLEGE (exhibition)
11/15 — SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE
11/17 — MARIAN (NAIA)
11/21 — BELMONT
11/26 — vs. Providence at Wooden Legacy in Fullerton, Calif.
11/27 — vs. Santa Clara/Arizona at Wooden Legacy in Fullerton, Calif.
11/29 — vs. TBA at Wooden Legacy in Anaheim, Calif.
12/1 — ALABAMA STATE
12/5 — at Murray State
12/8 — at Arkansas
12/12 — MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE
12/17 — NORFOLK STATE
12/20 — at Fresno State
12/22 — ALABAMA A&M

For a while I've thought Evansville should head to the Horizon but I guess the SWAC might be a better fit. That is seriously unacceptable. Marty should be fired today, he shouldn't even get a make-or-break season. You have a solid team in August and you are already playing for 3 games in March. I feel awful for Evansville fans.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » August 27th, 2015, 11:27 am

AndShock wrote:Marty should be fired today, he shouldn't even get a make-or-break season.

He's had like 5 make-or-break seasons. They haven't made it yet. Last year they just wasted the talent on the roster. History says they'll do the same thing again this year.

But at least somebody will score 22ppg and 2 guys will make 1st Team All-Valley. In fact, in the last 4 years, WSU has the most 1st Team selections with 8. 2nd? Evansville with 5. No other team had more than 2. The problem though, is that WSU has an .875 Win% in league and 3 conference championships while Evansville has a .472 Win% in league, and hasn't finished higher than a 5-way tie for 3rd.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAndWhite » August 27th, 2015, 12:57 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
AndShock wrote:Marty should be fired today, he shouldn't even get a make-or-break season.

He's had like 5 make-or-break seasons. They haven't made it yet. Last year they just wasted the talent on the roster. History says they'll do the same thing again this year.

But at least somebody will score 22ppg and 2 guys will make 1st Team All-Valley. In fact, in the last 4 years, WSU has the most 1st Team selections with 8. 2nd? Evansville with 5. No other team had more than 2. The problem though, is that WSU has an .875 Win% in league and 3 conference championships while Evansville has a .472 Win% in league, and hasn't finished higher than a 5-way tie for 3rd.

But guys! It's because the players aren't executing Marty's system well!

:huh: :Bam:
PurpleAndWhite
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Play Angry » August 28th, 2015, 6:45 am

The better games on that schedule are okay (MTE, @ Arkansas, etc.), but holy crap those buy games are a joke.

Serious question: Is this an issue with finances? I cannot believe that a top 50ish team could not muster a better group of one year contracts at market or market-plus rates.

One SWAC/MEAC team is okay, it happens. Four is atrocious and a guaranteed SOS killer.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » August 28th, 2015, 11:18 am

Norfolk isn't the worst team in the world to have on there, but I see 3 SWAC schools.

The real sad thing is the rest of the schedule is tolerable. Not the best, but not harmful, and good enough to offer a couple signature win chances. But 3 SWAC schools.

3 SWAC schools.

There's also 3 OVC schools on there (which is fine because Belmont/Murray). But I'm wondering why UE can't find teams from other conferences to play. A-10, even MAC and Horizon....there's candidates to play out there, and they seem to always lean south with their opponents.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Play Angry » August 28th, 2015, 1:51 pm

Does the DOBO handle the scheduling at UE, or do they have an assistant take the lead on it?

This season is their best (only) chance at an at-large in the last decade and a half from a talent standpoint. Very disappointing. You really couldn't have tried to schedule a weaker slate of buy games.

It's not like people have unrealistic hopes on this either - nobody thinks Alabama State should realistically be replaced with a home game against, say, Indiana. A handful of teams in the RPI 150-250 range would have rounded this out just fine.

Just...ugh.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PurpleAndWhite » August 28th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Play Angry wrote:Does the DOBO handle the scheduling at UE, or do they have an assistant take the lead on it?

This season is their best (only) chance at an at-large in the last decade and a half from a talent standpoint. Very disappointing. You really couldn't have tried to schedule a weaker slate of buy games.

It's not like people have unrealistic hopes on this either - nobody thinks Alabama State should realistically be replaced with a home game against, say, Indiana. A handful of teams in the RPI 150-250 range would have rounded this out just fine.

Just...ugh.

Who wants to see any of those home games, except Belmont?

I am a season ticket holder and I don't even think I will go to most of those games; especially if work is busy as it is looking.

It will be interesting to see how even further our attendance numbers will drop. I cannot see many 3,500+ games; if even 3,000+.
PurpleAndWhite
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball