Future Games/Scheduling

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Future Games/Scheduling

Postby Play Angry » August 28th, 2015, 6:45 am

The better games on that schedule are okay (MTE, @ Arkansas, etc.), but holy crap those buy games are a joke.

Serious question: Is this an issue with finances? I cannot believe that a top 50ish team could not muster a better group of one year contracts at market or market-plus rates.

One SWAC/MEAC team is okay, it happens. Four is atrocious and a guaranteed SOS killer.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheAsianSensation » August 28th, 2015, 11:18 am

Norfolk isn't the worst team in the world to have on there, but I see 3 SWAC schools.

The real sad thing is the rest of the schedule is tolerable. Not the best, but not harmful, and good enough to offer a couple signature win chances. But 3 SWAC schools.

3 SWAC schools.

There's also 3 OVC schools on there (which is fine because Belmont/Murray). But I'm wondering why UE can't find teams from other conferences to play. A-10, even MAC and Horizon....there's candidates to play out there, and they seem to always lean south with their opponents.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Play Angry » August 28th, 2015, 1:51 pm

Does the DOBO handle the scheduling at UE, or do they have an assistant take the lead on it?

This season is their best (only) chance at an at-large in the last decade and a half from a talent standpoint. Very disappointing. You really couldn't have tried to schedule a weaker slate of buy games.

It's not like people have unrealistic hopes on this either - nobody thinks Alabama State should realistically be replaced with a home game against, say, Indiana. A handful of teams in the RPI 150-250 range would have rounded this out just fine.

Just...ugh.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PurpleAndWhite » August 28th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Play Angry wrote:Does the DOBO handle the scheduling at UE, or do they have an assistant take the lead on it?

This season is their best (only) chance at an at-large in the last decade and a half from a talent standpoint. Very disappointing. You really couldn't have tried to schedule a weaker slate of buy games.

It's not like people have unrealistic hopes on this either - nobody thinks Alabama State should realistically be replaced with a home game against, say, Indiana. A handful of teams in the RPI 150-250 range would have rounded this out just fine.

Just...ugh.

Who wants to see any of those home games, except Belmont?

I am a season ticket holder and I don't even think I will go to most of those games; especially if work is busy as it is looking.

It will be interesting to see how even further our attendance numbers will drop. I cannot see many 3,500+ games; if even 3,000+.
PurpleAndWhite
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby stl scooter » August 28th, 2015, 4:38 pm

My guess is, the SWAC teams aren't looking for return games.
:huh:
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby pafan » August 28th, 2015, 9:24 pm

Former UE assistant Jimmy Elgas handled much of the scheduling, but he left at the end of last season. Don't know who picked that up.

I'd be very much happier if UE had renewed their long running series with Miami (OH) and IUPUI in place of two of these buy games. Or another Summit/Horizon school if they couldn't get IUPUI to agree to play at the Ford Center two years in a row.

If I hadn't already paid for my 2015-16 tickets, I'd probably back out. Which is probably why the schedule was published so late - just beyond the deadline to put down ticket deposits.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Rambler63 » September 1st, 2015, 2:08 pm

Loyola's OOC schedule finally out---

Nov. 13 UTSA
Nov. 14 Eureka
Nov. 18 at New Mexico
Nov. 21 Toledo
Nov. 25 vs. San Diego (Anchorage, AK)
Nov. 27 vs. San Jose State or Toledo (Anchorage, AK)
Nov. 28 vs. TBD (Anchorage, AK)
Dec. 5 Creighton
Dec. 13 at Notre Dame
Dec. 16 Cleveland State
Dec. 19 UIC
Dec. 21 Western Illinois
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » September 1st, 2015, 3:45 pm

Win that Dec. 6 game and there may be a few Valley posters wandering over to Creighton's message board. Fun times.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » September 2nd, 2015, 2:04 pm

Rambler63 wrote:Loyola's OOC schedule finally out---

Nov. 13 UTSA
Nov. 14 Eureka
Nov. 18 at New Mexico
Nov. 21 Toledo
Nov. 25 vs. San Diego (Anchorage, AK)
Nov. 27 vs. San Jose State or Toledo (Anchorage, AK)
Nov. 28 vs. TBD (Anchorage, AK)
Dec. 5 Creighton
Dec. 13 at Notre Dame
Dec. 16 Cleveland State
Dec. 19 UIC
Dec. 21 Western Illinois

Solid, if unremarkable. I'll have to dig into a few of these teams. Who is on the other side of the bracket in AK?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » January 6th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Found on twitter today
Daniel Allar ‏@ECP_Allar 2h2 hours ago

Athletic director @MDSpencerAD announces that Evansville will play its neutral-site tournament in the Challenge in the Music City in 2016-17
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball