Next Coach for SIU?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Next Coach for SIU?

Postby rlh04d » December 12th, 2014, 5:52 pm

agrinut wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:There are plenty of reasons for Marshall to stay at WSU, but the failure of others has to be fairly far down that list. They only way I see him leaving anytime soon is if he gets bored and is looking for a challenge. Or if, you know, like the Duke or Kentucky jobs open up.

Indiana..... Next spring

Shaka Smart will be choice #1.

Shaka Smart's existence will help keep Marshall at WSU. He's younger, about as good of a coach, and has a better media presence. And he's from B1G country, when it comes to the Indiana job. And I don't see Marshall wanting to take a job as the second choice.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rlh04d » December 12th, 2014, 5:55 pm

glm38 wrote:At some point though doesn't he have to get CU to at least a sweet sixteen?

You could say the same thing about every coach in Creighton history. It's never stopped Creighton fans before.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » December 12th, 2014, 11:04 pm

glm38 wrote:At some point though doesn't he have to get CU to at least a sweet sixteen?

CU fans are quite impressed by the fact that CU is now in the BIG EAST - they do use caps to type the league name. They are convinced that being in the BIG EAST will raise their level of recruiting past what they could ever have hoped for in the lowly MVC.

McDermott's ability to recruit and coach in the B12 didn't turn out well. Maybe the BIG EAST is his ultimate level. Maybe the MVC was his ultimate level.

Early indications are that the BIG EAST is having an up year, and CU is not. CU isn't looking like an NIT team right now. CU fans aren't going to take that well. They were expecting to be a perennial NCAA team once they got out of the Valley and into a league that regularly got multiple bids.

McDermott showed what he was made of when he took a team starting 3 Sr's (including the National PoY), and a Jr to a 30-point beatdown in the round of 32 last year.

CU fan was expecting a top-3 or top-4 finish in the BIG EAST this year and another trip to the NCAA's. The best CU is likely to do in post-season play is to get a mid-level Valley team in one of the "C" tournaments.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BradleyFan71 » December 13th, 2014, 2:03 am

Drakey wrote:What a coach is paid has nothing to do with his abilities. Didn't Lowerey make $750,000 a year?

That's also close to what Geno is making to coach Bradley every Thursday in St. Louis.
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Dawgbit » December 13th, 2014, 7:35 am

Creighton was the biggest underachieving NCAA tourney team ever while in the MVC.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » December 13th, 2014, 7:44 am

Dawgbit wrote:Creighton was the biggest underachieving NCAA tourney team ever while in the MVC.

Now that they are in the big east they have a lot of competition for that title.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » December 13th, 2014, 11:15 am

Drakey wrote:What a coach is paid has nothing to do with his abilities. Didn't Lowerey make $750,000 a year?

That's just not true. Name who you think are the best 30 coaches in college basketball and tell me how many are making under $1 million. What a coach is paid doesn't have a PERFECT correlation to his abilities, but it has a very strong correlation.

Obviously a coach doesn't BECOME good just because you pay him more. You could pay me $3 million and I'm not going to be able to do a good job as a college basketball coach.

And my point wasn't about starting salary. But it's very difficult to attract good coaches and borderline impossible to keep them if you aren't willing or able to spend competitive wages. The reason I said you wouldn't be able to win as anything more than an exception is because any coach that wins at a school that isn't able to pay a competitive wage will simply leave as soon as they start winning. Ben Jacobson is a huge exception to the rule.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » December 13th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Valley_Fan wrote:
Play Angry wrote:
Valley_Fan wrote:Considering what Creighton has done this year, I don't think we will see McDermott in the Valley for a while.

Yes, that projected final RPI in the high 80s should merit a serious raise and extension.

Considering where you thought they would be.....yes

lol. Please lock him in for a dozen years, nothing would please me more.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » December 13th, 2014, 3:49 pm

Pesky mid-major St. Mary's beats BIG EAST power Creighton today in Omaha.

More incredible things happening this year for McDermott.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » December 20th, 2014, 11:21 am

Frigging brutal loss to New Orleans. NO's first D1 win comes in Carbondale. Cripes.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball