Next Coach for SIU?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Next Coach for SIU?

Postby dean_siu » December 10th, 2014, 11:20 pm

After tonites debacle against SEMO, I don't think its too early to start talking about Barry's demise. When a new AD is named, I can't see him (or her) being happy with a program performing this poorly against one of the worst schedules in the country.

Personally, I hope the new administration tries to restore a relationship with Lowery and brings him back to restore the glory days in Carbondale.

If that can't happen though, maybe we can steal the coach from SEMO or Chicago State. Since those programs have passed us, I'm sure their coaches could come to SIU and do better than Hinson.

I'm just glad Mario is leaving though so we can bring someone in to institute change. I'm tired of watching this program s*** its pants on a regular basis. :Beer: :Beer: :Beer: :Beer:
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Next Coach for SIU?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Next Coach for SIU?

Postby Play Angry » December 10th, 2014, 11:32 pm

I am sure Lowery is the solution.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » December 10th, 2014, 11:51 pm

dean_siu wrote:After tonites debacle against SEMO, I don't think its too early to start talking about Barry's demise. When a new AD is named, I can't see him (or her) being happy with a program performing this poorly against one of the worst schedules in the country.

Personally, I hope the new administration tries to restore a relationship with Lowery and brings him back to restore the glory days in Carbondale.

If that can't happen though, maybe we can steal the coach from SEMO or Chicago State. Since those programs have passed us, I'm sure their coaches could come to SIU and do better than Hinson.

I'm just glad Mario is leaving though so we can bring someone in to institute change. I'm tired of watching this program s*** its pants on a regular basis. :Beer: :Beer: :Beer: :Beer:

Seek medical help. Take the prescribed meds. If these thoughts continue, seek institutional remediation.

Hinson has done more with the nuclear meltdown Lowery created than could possibly be expected at this point in his tenure.

Lowery took SIU from perennial NCAA team to the bottom of the Valley in only a few years. He left SIU with not much basketball talent, players who seemed to hate their decision to play at SIU, little ability to recruit, and a very financially strapped athletic department.

Hinson is a proven D1 coach. He's shown he can recruit with a limited budget (at MSU). SIU can't possibly expect to hire a coach with better credentials or demonstrated better prospects for success with what they're paying Barry.

Lowery drove that program so far into the ground, and into disrespect, that It's going to take until recruits no longer remember that SIU was a place nobody wanted to play (and a loser) before Barry has any hope of recruiting players that can put a top-half Valley team on the court.

Give Hinson another couple of years. By then, if he's still not producing, there's a decent possibility you could get both Weber and Lowery back into Carbondale.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » December 11th, 2014, 6:40 am

Aargh wrote: SIU can't possibly expect to hire a coach with better credentials or demonstrated better prospects for success with what they're paying Barry.

This is the key point for most Valley teams.

Winning is expensive. Winning with a coach you're not paying a competitive wage to is the exception.

Any Valley team not able to spend around $500k base salary for a coach is not going to win as anything more than an exception. And that comes down to the fans as much as anything else.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » December 11th, 2014, 9:24 am

rlh04d wrote:
Aargh wrote: SIU can't possibly expect to hire a coach with better credentials or demonstrated better prospects for success with what they're paying Barry.

This is the key point for most Valley teams.

Winning is expensive. Winning with a coach you're not paying a competitive wage to is the exception.

Any Valley team not able to spend around $500k base salary for a coach is not going to win as anything more than an exception. And that comes down to the fans as much as anything else.

$500K is still a bit high for a mid-major starting salary, but probably not by much. $250K is not going to get it done any longer.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Ace Dad » December 11th, 2014, 11:39 am

If you pay all ten coachs $500,000 a year, five teams would still fall under the .500 mark. Money is one factor.

Barry Hinson is a seasoned and good enough coach for SIU.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » December 11th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Ace Dad wrote:If you pay all ten coachs $500,000 a year, five teams would still fall under the .500 mark. Money is one factor.

Barry Hinson is a seasoned and good enough coach for SIU.

In league, or overall?

If all ten programs each have a coach that is worth $500,000+, very few teams will fall under the .500 mark for the year.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » December 11th, 2014, 4:33 pm

What a coach is paid has nothing to do with his abilities. Didn't Lowerey make $750,000 a year?
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » December 11th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Drakey wrote:What a coach is paid has nothing to do with his abilities. Didn't Lowerey make $750,000 a year?
This isn't exactly true. It becomes a pretty good indicator over a long period of time. For instance, Lowery certainly doesn't make that much any more.

There are absolutely outliers on both ends. Good coaches (Jacobson comes to mind) sometimes are willing to work for less than market value because they enjoy their situation and job security. Rich programs sometimes are willing to pay more than market value to take a risk on a hot-shot newcomer. Over long periods of time (4+ years) things tend to trend heavily toward market value though.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » December 11th, 2014, 4:57 pm

Bruce Weber might be available after next season.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_asset ... uloses.gif
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball