Next Coach for SIU?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Next Coach for SIU?

Postby glm38 » December 12th, 2014, 1:42 am

Aargh wrote:
Wufan wrote:I'm thinking Weber, Turgeon and Painter as candidates for Valley jobs in 2015. McDermott May not be far behind.

That little dose of reality may be what keeps Marshall at WSU for a long, long time.

Maybe. But I really think Marshall is a level (or two) above those guys you list. I think he's truly right there with the best 4 or 5 coaches in the game. If you were starting a Division I team from scratch is there anyone you would pick over him? I'm not sure there is. Point being I think he'll be at WSU as long as he wants to be but with his ability and confidence I don't see any fear of failure at a a "higher level" school.

I don't think he walks on water though. He's still pretty annoying with the sideline antics. :D I'd take him in a heartbeat as our coach though.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » December 12th, 2014, 10:25 am

There are plenty of reasons for Marshall to stay at WSU, but the failure of others has to be fairly far down that list. They only way I see him leaving anytime soon is if he gets bored and is looking for a challenge. Or if, you know, like the Duke or Kentucky jobs open up.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Valley_Fan » December 12th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Wufan wrote:I'm thinking Weber, Turgeon and Painter as candidates for Valley jobs in 2015. McDermott May not be far behind.

"Creighton was a big addition for them. we dont know it here in the east but that gentleman is one of the best coaches in our game."

http://www.gocards.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 14aal.html

Considering what Creighton has done this year, I don't think we will see McDermott in the Valley for a while.
Valley_Fan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby agrinut » December 12th, 2014, 12:38 pm

unipanther99 wrote:There are plenty of reasons for Marshall to stay at WSU, but the failure of others has to be fairly far down that list. They only way I see him leaving anytime soon is if he gets bored and is looking for a challenge. Or if, you know, like the Duke or Kentucky jobs open up.

Indiana..... Next spring
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » December 12th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Valley_Fan wrote:Considering what Creighton has done this year, I don't think we will see McDermott in the Valley for a while.

Yes, that projected final RPI in the high 80s should merit a serious raise and extension.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Valley_Fan » December 12th, 2014, 2:39 pm

Play Angry wrote:
Valley_Fan wrote:Considering what Creighton has done this year, I don't think we will see McDermott in the Valley for a while.

Yes, that projected final RPI in the high 80s should merit a serious raise and extension.

Considering where you thought they would be.....yes
Valley_Fan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Championz » December 12th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Can't tell if serious.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » December 12th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Valley_Fan wrote:
Play Angry wrote:

Considering where you thought they would be.....yes

Let's see where Creighton's RPI ends up at years end. And where they place in the conference. I'm betting both are very unimpressive. If CU does finish well I would be willing to admit McD is a better coach than previously thought (at least in certain circles).

At some point though doesn't he have to get CU to at least a sweet sixteen?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » December 12th, 2014, 5:52 pm

agrinut wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:There are plenty of reasons for Marshall to stay at WSU, but the failure of others has to be fairly far down that list. They only way I see him leaving anytime soon is if he gets bored and is looking for a challenge. Or if, you know, like the Duke or Kentucky jobs open up.

Indiana..... Next spring

Shaka Smart will be choice #1.

Shaka Smart's existence will help keep Marshall at WSU. He's younger, about as good of a coach, and has a better media presence. And he's from B1G country, when it comes to the Indiana job. And I don't see Marshall wanting to take a job as the second choice.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » December 12th, 2014, 5:55 pm

glm38 wrote:At some point though doesn't he have to get CU to at least a sweet sixteen?

You could say the same thing about every coach in Creighton history. It's never stopped Creighton fans before.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball