Next Coach for SIU?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Next Coach for SIU?

Postby dean_siu » January 4th, 2015, 4:35 pm

bleach wrote:
dean_siu wrote:
bleach wrote:Barry is a great guy and good for the MVC. I'm real glad he's at SIU.

You must really hate SIU than. Building the worst team in the history of the program in just a few years is quite an accomplishment for him, but has many alumni (including myself) withholding any donations to the program until he's gone. The program has turned into a clown show and Barry needs to go back to being a travel agent so a real coach can come in and save the program he's ruined.

Just reciting some of the many reasons valley fans said MSU should keep Hinson.
To be fair, the program at SIU wasn't on real solid ground when he took over but i've had to endure Barry more than you have so I can sympathize.

You were lucky....you had him when he was still connected to the game. We got him when he had been out of the game for several years booking flights and hotel rooms. We need someone in Carbondale that has connections to AAU coaches and some basketball common sense....two things Barry lacks and will likely never acquire again. At least I have extra vacation money now every year until he's gone....the athletic program will have to take some major steps before they'll see a check from me again.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 4th, 2015, 4:59 pm

Play Angry wrote:I am sure Lowery is the solution.

Yes, bring back Coach Lowery and the glory days.

I think he will be available soon.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » January 4th, 2015, 6:12 pm

What's up with some SIU fans and the revolving door philosophy? It's like the superstitious guy who thought he put on his lucky underwear...oh wait, maybe it was this pair...no...it was that one...hmm, no, where'd they'd go?

:huh:

Go buy a new pair you numbskulls.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » January 4th, 2015, 6:16 pm

bleach wrote:To be fair, the program at SIU wasn't on real solid ground when he took over but i've had to endure Barry more than you have so I can sympathize.

You're a better man than I then. I hope he's there for a decade and truly runs that program into the ground. The $#!+ we had to endure as MO State fans for wanting to get rid of him when we knew what he was, was ungodly.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby rlh04d » January 4th, 2015, 7:00 pm

MSUDuo wrote:
bleach wrote:To be fair, the program at SIU wasn't on real solid ground when he took over but i've had to endure Barry more than you have so I can sympathize.

You're a better man than I then. I hope he's there for a decade and truly runs that program into the ground. The $#!+ we had to endure as MO State fans for wanting to get rid of him when we knew what he was, was ungodly.

But his interviews are so good!

C'mon, someone bite the bullet and keep him around for entertainment purposes.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby dean_siu » January 4th, 2015, 7:59 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:What's up with some SIU fans and the revolving door philosophy? It's like the superstitious guy who thought he put on his lucky underwear...oh wait, maybe it was this pair...no...it was that one...hmm, no, where'd they'd go?

:huh:

Go buy a new pair you numbskulls.

Most SIU fans don't want a revolving door and we thought that problem had ended when Lowery signed a long term contract. Unfortunately, our former AD (who is now New Mexico State's problem) decided otherwise. To make the problem worse, he brought in a new coach whose best qualification is saving money on airfares (which we can't even utilize as all games are scheduled within driving distance). Change is not only necessary now....its required. Fans (and more importantly donors) are disappearing rapidly as most can't deal with this clown show. A new AD will see that immediately and Barry will be history after this season. The only question is if we can get Lowery to return or if a new coach will be in order.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Play Angry » January 4th, 2015, 8:10 pm

dean, can you please explain why coach lowery went 21-42 over his last two years at SIU?

I mean, it wasn't his fault at all...i just can't remember what all happened, what the attendance figures were, and whose fault it was. Thanks in advance.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle » January 4th, 2015, 8:56 pm

When evaluating a coach, I think it's fair to take note of a few key elements:

1) State of the program when the coach took over
2) Financial strength of the institution
3) Condition of facilities as compared to peer institutions
4) Desirability of host market/city

I'm curious on a scale of A-F how SIU fans rank those four criterion.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » January 5th, 2015, 12:21 am

Play Angry wrote:dean, can you please explain why coach lowery went 21-42 over his last two years at SIU?

I mean, it wasn't his fault at all...i just can't remember what all happened, what the attendance figures were, and whose fault it was. Thanks in advance.

Barry may not be the answer but Lowery was clearly a terrible coach. You are totally delusional in wanting him back. Are you related to him?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 5th, 2015, 12:33 am

glm38 wrote:
Play Angry wrote:dean, can you please explain why coach lowery went 21-42 over his last two years at SIU?

Barry may not be the answer but Lowery was clearly a terrible coach. You are totally delusional in wanting him back. Are you related to him?

Not just a poor coach, but a guy that absolutely pile-drove a program. I mean, Hinson had to spend the first two years of his tenure just trying to get rid of the riff-raff, rebuild the APR to avoid penalties, clean up the rap sheet, and get in some guys that wanted to play for SIU. To me, it's a lot like this year is year 1 for Hinson. He's finally done cleaning up the absolute mess that was left for him. Bad coaches leave empty cupboards and a poor taste in fan's mouths. Lowery left a cupboard half-full of delinquents, a program on the verge on academic-based sanctions, and a fan base that had left.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball