Next Coach for SIU?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Next Coach for SIU?

Postby rlh04d » January 7th, 2015, 6:55 pm

uniftw wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:This team has won 6 DI games this year. I guess I have not seen them play this year, but that doesn't seem terrible to me. I will get my chance tonight though. I have no doubts you guys know what you are talking about though. I think Hinson can be on the hot seat, but I don't think it would be this year quite yet.

Their wins are
RPI 335 Tenn State X2
RPI 344 SIU-E
RPI 323 Austin Peay
RPI 322 Chicago St
RPI 278 UI-Chicago

Not all wins are created equal

Should UNI find a way to lose to them tonight UNI would deserve no post season play

We lost to a pretty terrible SIU team before going to the Final Four.

Granted, injuries, road game, much better RPI for SIU that year, and that call at the end. But still. Good teams lose to bad teams sometimes.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » January 7th, 2015, 10:15 pm

After watching them live tonight in Cedar Falls.

I respect Barry even more, he has no talent, but his kids play really hard for him. They're learning, they'll get better, they play hard.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » January 7th, 2015, 11:32 pm

BCPanther wrote:After watching them live tonight in Cedar Falls.

I respect Barry even more, he has no talent, but his kids play really hard for him. They're learning, they'll get better, they play hard.

I know they are the youngest team in the Valley, and according to the TV guys the 21st youngest in the nation. I know dealing with the mess from Lowery, having to tear everything down completely, etc... which is why the team is young. There is bound to be growing pains with getting kids accustomed to D1 ball and just not having the overall talent as other teams.

With all of that said they are just really...really...bad. I said in the Jan 7 game thread (UNI/SIU seems lost in the Bradley/WSU and Eville/Loyola thriller) that the last time I saw that many shots either air balled or missing rim completely and just hitting backboard (most of the time looking like it was a fastball) was my niece's middle school basketball game about 4 years ago. I know UNI plays good defense but it looked like a high school or D3 team in SIU uniforms.

You said it right, BC. He'll get SIU to a point where they can actually have a foundation to build on and then get the can because he wasn't "producing wins". To get to that point, though, is still 3 or 4 years a way from the looks of it.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 8th, 2015, 1:18 pm

I must have been watching a different game.

I thought #14 from SIU was pretty good, and he was only a freshman. Though, he does lack height for an inside player. I though #33 had glimpses of some talent and he was only a sophomore.

Obviously, currently there is something wrong with Beane. He was averaging almost 19 per game before the last two games where he combined for 9 while shooting 2-25. He was a great player last year, but maybe he has been pressing thinking he needs to do everything for them.

There is work to do, and Barry needs to get some recruits in there as outside of a couple of people there isn't much, but it isn't like the team is completely devoid of DI talent.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby dean_siu » January 10th, 2015, 5:13 pm

The clown show continued today as Barry somehow found a way to blow a 14 point second half lead at home.

Can't wait for a new AD to get to town so this experiment of using a travel agent as a coach can come to an end.

Bring back Lowery and bring back the winning!
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby PantherSigEp » January 10th, 2015, 6:21 pm

dean_siu wrote:The clown show continued today as Barry somehow found a way to blow a 14 point second half lead at home.

Can't wait for a new AD to get to town so this experiment of using a travel agent as a coach can come to an end.

You are nothing if not persistent. Oh and a bit delusional
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » January 10th, 2015, 7:53 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
dean_siu wrote:The clown show continued today as Barry somehow found a way to blow a 14 point second half lead at home.

You are nothing if not persistent. Oh and a bit delusional

:Cheers:

I can understand the frustration with Hinson. Don't necessarily agree with it, but can understand. I can't understand wanting Lowery back.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bleach » January 11th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Barry needs at least 4 more years to evaluate. He is a great guy and great ambassador for the valley. He runs a clean program and did I mention he's a great guy.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » January 11th, 2015, 12:23 pm

bleach wrote:Barry needs at least 4 more years to evaluate. He is a great guy and great ambassador for the valley. He runs a clean program and did I mention he's a great guy.

How many times have you been on the bubble, let alone in the tournament, since you ran Barry?

I'll hang up and listen.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » January 11th, 2015, 12:38 pm

BCPanther wrote:
bleach wrote:Barry needs at least 4 more years to evaluate. He is a great guy and great ambassador for the valley. He runs a clean program and did I mention he's a great guy.

How many times have you been on the bubble, let alone in the tournament, since you ran Barry?

I'll hang up and listen.

:+1:

I don't get the problems MoSt fans had with Barry. Lusk has only had one season, in his four years there, that has been better than Hinson's worst mark. And in year four under Lusk, the program isn't advancing -- it's a one man team that's under >.500 against D1 competition.

Cuonzo Martin was clearly a better coach, but he was also clearly not going to stick around at a program like MoSt.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball