Next Coach for SIU?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Next Coach for SIU?

Postby Dawgbit » December 13th, 2014, 7:35 am

Creighton was the biggest underachieving NCAA tourney team ever while in the MVC.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » December 13th, 2014, 7:44 am

Dawgbit wrote:Creighton was the biggest underachieving NCAA tourney team ever while in the MVC.

Now that they are in the big east they have a lot of competition for that title.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » December 13th, 2014, 11:15 am

Drakey wrote:What a coach is paid has nothing to do with his abilities. Didn't Lowerey make $750,000 a year?

That's just not true. Name who you think are the best 30 coaches in college basketball and tell me how many are making under $1 million. What a coach is paid doesn't have a PERFECT correlation to his abilities, but it has a very strong correlation.

Obviously a coach doesn't BECOME good just because you pay him more. You could pay me $3 million and I'm not going to be able to do a good job as a college basketball coach.

And my point wasn't about starting salary. But it's very difficult to attract good coaches and borderline impossible to keep them if you aren't willing or able to spend competitive wages. The reason I said you wouldn't be able to win as anything more than an exception is because any coach that wins at a school that isn't able to pay a competitive wage will simply leave as soon as they start winning. Ben Jacobson is a huge exception to the rule.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » December 13th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Valley_Fan wrote:
Play Angry wrote:
Valley_Fan wrote:Considering what Creighton has done this year, I don't think we will see McDermott in the Valley for a while.

Yes, that projected final RPI in the high 80s should merit a serious raise and extension.

Considering where you thought they would be.....yes

lol. Please lock him in for a dozen years, nothing would please me more.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » December 13th, 2014, 3:49 pm

Pesky mid-major St. Mary's beats BIG EAST power Creighton today in Omaha.

More incredible things happening this year for McDermott.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » December 20th, 2014, 11:21 am

Frigging brutal loss to New Orleans. NO's first D1 win comes in Carbondale. Cripes.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » December 21st, 2014, 12:52 pm

bigdawg wrote:Frigging brutal loss to New Orleans. NO's first D1 win comes in Carbondale. Cripes.

But it doesn't count against RPI right?
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » December 21st, 2014, 2:39 pm

It does count. New Orleans is a D1 program. They just hadn't beat a D1 program yet this year.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby PantherSigEp » December 21st, 2014, 7:36 pm

pafan wrote:It does count. New Orleans is a D1 program. They just hadn't beat a D1 program yet this year.

Damn. I'd never heard of them so I was hoping for NAIA or D-II. Then that does indeed suck :Bam:
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby dean_siu » January 3rd, 2015, 10:51 pm

As interviews are done for a new AD, I truly hope the university asks candidates what their plan would be to fix the basketball program.

After getting our clocks cleaned by a POS Bradley squad, I'm not convinced that this team will win a conference game at all this season.

That's what happens when you ruin relationships with local AAU teams (by firing Lowery), hire a travel agent for coach, and make a non conference schedule that ranks #350 out of 351 in the country.

At least we don't have to worry about players transferring as no other programs in the country would want this worthless talent that Barry has recruited.

Last year, he had Desmar Jackson (who Lowery recruited) to save his ass to some extent.....this year, he's not as fortunate. Our best player is only a Saluki because Barry hired his daddy and would be gone if daddy was a qualified enough assistant to get a job elsewhere.

As I suggested before, the easiest solution is to make amends with Lowery and bring him back as this would have an immediate positive impact on recruiting.

However, if that's not the action.....there better be another plan of drastic action as Mario and Barry have taken this program to a point far lower than I ever thought I'd see Saluki basketball reach in my lifetime.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball