12/13 games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 12/13 games

Postby glm38 » December 13th, 2014, 11:43 pm

The Bears looked fairly good for the first time this year against a decent opponent. Ruder and Marshall are just studs. We got a big lift this game from Thurman coming back from injury.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » December 14th, 2014, 7:53 am

glm38 wrote:The Bears looked fairly good for the first time this year against a decent opponent. Ruder and Marshall are just studs. We got a big lift this game from Thurman coming back from injury.

I saw Thurman had a big game. If he can produce with consistency (even if it's 10 points instead of 19) the Bears will be much better.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » December 14th, 2014, 8:07 am

Wufan wrote:
glm38 wrote:The Bears looked fairly good for the first time this year against a decent opponent. Ruder and Marshall are just studs. We got a big lift this game from Thurman coming back from injury.

I saw Thurman had a big game. If he can produce with consistency (even if it's 10 points instead of 19) the Bears will be much better.

If he gets the playing time he'll produce offensively. He's really skilled at that end. We just need him to consistently put in the effort at the other end.

I sound like a broken record but we're still weak in the post. Boone and Tmac are showing some flashes though so there is some hope there.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » December 14th, 2014, 10:35 am

ACECARD wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:For those complaining that Mock wasn't on the floor for defense on the last play don't know the rules. Mock couldn't be on the floor. He couldn't check in. He wasn't on the floor for the last play drawn up and couldn't check in cause no time ran off the clock.

Guess what. Mock should never have been out of the game.

Mock came out with 2.6 seconds, do you even know why he came out? Let me explain. UE was throwing a 3/4 pass and Moore was going to catch and tip to DJ running down baseline. Why Moore and not Mock? That's easy. Moore is more athletic, more agile and can jump higher then Mock. So insert Moore to do that. Pretty easy call. Marty had no idea Wing would throw it out of bounds and Mock would be needed on the defensive end. After the play, Mock immediately went to check in but as we all know he couldn't.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » December 14th, 2014, 10:47 am

Aces1982 wrote:
ACECARD wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:For those complaining that Mock wasn't on the floor for defense on the last play don't know the rules. Mock couldn't be on the floor. He couldn't check in. He wasn't on the floor for the last play drawn up and couldn't check in cause no time ran off the clock.

Mock came out with 2.6 seconds, do you even know why he came out? Let me explain. UE was throwing a 3/4 pass and Moore was going to catch and tip to DJ running down baseline. Why Moore and not Mock? That's easy. Moore is more athletic, more agile and can jump higher then Mock. So insert Moore to do that. Pretty easy call. Marty had no idea Wing would throw it out of bounds and Mock would be needed on the defensive end. After the play, Mock immediately went to check in but as we all know he couldn't.

Except the entire play you're describing is why Evansville lost the game.

If Marty "had no idea" it would be thrown out of bounds, then he's a very bad coach. That's a very realistic possibility with that type of play.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » December 14th, 2014, 10:48 am

Also, great effort by UNI, despite the loss.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » December 14th, 2014, 11:48 am

Aces1982 wrote:
ACECARD wrote:

You don't need to explain anything to me. If you think that Jaylon Moore is a better option, in any senario you can name, than Giddy, then so be it. I doubt that you will get very many, clear thinking, Aces fans who would agree.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aces1982 » December 14th, 2014, 12:00 pm

rlh04d wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:
ACECARD wrote:Guess what. Mock should never have been out of the game.

Except the entire play you're describing is why Evansville lost the game.

If Marty "had no idea" it would be thrown out of bounds, then he's a very bad coach. That's a very realistic possibility with that type of play.

You don't win or lose a game on one play. 40 minutes and 100's of plays decided that game. The casual fan will focus on the last play. But a true basketball knowledgable fan knows that there are too many plays in a game to pinpoint one play as to why you lost a game.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » December 14th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Aces1982 wrote:You don't win or lose a game on one play. 40 minutes and 100's of plays decided that game. The casual fan will focus on the last play. But a true basketball knowledgable fan knows that there are too many plays in a game to pinpoint one play as to why you lost a game.

I'm sure there were many plays that helped get that game to that point where one play decided the game. But any time a game comes down to one possession, the last play always decides it.

I don't know what a "true basketball knowledgable fan" is, but I'd imagine anyone with a clue would understand that a game is often decided by the last play. Many games are left hanging on whether that one last shot goes down, or whether a coach ridiculously decides to heave a pass the length of the court instead of going into OT against a team depleted by foul trouble. The entire game up until that point is what leads you to the game coming down to one play ... but once you're already there, absolutely, one made shot, missed shot, good coaching decision, or bad coaching decision can decide the game.

WSU did a lot of things both right and wrong in their loss @Utah, but the game was decided by FVV's missed FT and Evan's missed put-back. Those plays aren't the entire story of the game, but they decided the game.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » December 14th, 2014, 2:52 pm

rlh04d wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:You don't win or lose a game on one play. 40 minutes and 100's of plays decided that game. The casual fan will focus on the last play. But a true basketball knowledgable fan knows that there are too many plays in a game to pinpoint one play as to why you lost a game.

I'm sure there were many plays that helped get that game to that point where one play decided the game. But any time a game comes down to one possession, the last play always decides it.

I don't know what a "true basketball knowledgable fan" is, but I'd imagine anyone with a clue would understand that a game is often decided by the last play. Many games are left hanging on whether that one last shot goes down, or whether a coach ridiculously decides to heave a pass the length of the court instead of going into OT against a team depleted by foul trouble. The entire game up until that point is what leads you to the game coming down to one play ... but once you're already there, absolutely, one made shot, missed shot, good coaching decision, or bad coaching decision can decide the game.

WSU did a lot of things both right and wrong in their loss @Utah, but the game was decided by FVV's missed FT and Evan's missed put-back. Those plays aren't the entire story of the game, but they decided the game.

rlh04d, very well said. Some fans aren't quite as knowledgable as they think they are, and some like to argue just for the sake of arguement.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball