Koch Industries Donation to WSU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby shocktheheart » December 16th, 2014, 11:42 am

Largest single donation to the university yet at $11.25 million. $4.25 million to go to athletics in building a new student center and possibly putting in suites at Koch Arena.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/educat ... 17821.html
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Koch Industries Donation to WSU

Postby unipanther99 » December 16th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Awesome gift. Getting back to the national forefront was the hard part for the Shockers, now that they're there, they are definitely going all-in to stay there.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby mathewson10 » December 16th, 2014, 3:12 pm

Bye bye WSU... I can't see WSU staying in the Valley much longer (5+years) if they are getting money like this.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby wgslaw » December 16th, 2014, 3:32 pm

I don't think that necessarily follows. WSU can and is building a strength of schedule with non conference games. Memphis, Seton Hall, Utah, Alabama, St. Louis and Tulsa are just fine. We don't need to play Emporia, Washburn, Ft Hays and every other small school in the state each year like some folks to the North East. You get more out of a scrimage. Besides, we have been in the Valley for 50 years. Tradition counts. And, there is no reason the NI, Evansville, Illinois State, etc cannot reach new levels. I think we stay.
wgslaw
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby mathewson10 » December 16th, 2014, 3:40 pm

wgslaw wrote:I don't think that necessarily follows. WSU can and is building a strength of schedule with non conference games. Memphis, Seton Hall, Utah, Alabama, St. Louis and Tulsa are just fine. We don't need to play Emporia, Washburn, Ft Hays and every other small school in the state each year like some folks to the North East. You get more out of a scrimage. Besides, we have been in the Valley for 50 years. Tradition counts. And, there is no reason the NI, Evansville, Illinois State, etc cannot reach new levels. I think we stay.

If WSU can keep up their success, why would they want to stay in a smaller conference? Why not go for the big conference money? I don't think the Kochs donated to keep them where they are at.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby rlh04d » December 16th, 2014, 3:43 pm

mathewson10 wrote:
wgslaw wrote:I don't think that necessarily follows. WSU can and is building a strength of schedule with non conference games. Memphis, Seton Hall, Utah, Alabama, St. Louis and Tulsa are just fine. We don't need to play Emporia, Washburn, Ft Hays and every other small school in the state each year like some folks to the North East. You get more out of a scrimage. Besides, we have been in the Valley for 50 years. Tradition counts. And, there is no reason the NI, Evansville, Illinois State, etc cannot reach new levels. I think we stay.

If WSU can keep up their success, why would they want to stay in a smaller conference? Why not go for the big conference money? I don't think the Kochs donated to keep them where they are at.

Whether WSU stays in the Valley or leaves is completely out of WSU's hands at this point. It's entirely on the willingness of another conference to expand with a basketball only school.

Can the Kochs pay college athletic conference lobbyists for us? I'd imagine they're as easy to buy as the BCS bowl folks.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » December 16th, 2014, 3:47 pm

rlh04d wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:

Whether WSU stays in the Valley or leaves is completely out of WSU's hands at this point. It's entirely on the willingness of another conference to expand with a basketball only school.

Can the Kochs pay college athletic conference lobbyists for us? I'd imagine they're as easy to buy as the BCS bowl folks.

Without a doubt! Money talks!
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball