UNI All-Access

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI All-Access

Postby rlh04d » January 13th, 2015, 8:25 pm

uniftw wrote:
valleychamp wrote:Leave it to Valleytalkers to bemoan this.

"Nobody gets that channel!"

"Its not national!"

"Wait till you see what WSU gets!"

Its a very cool show, and its a good thing for UNI's program. There are at least a half dozen ways to watch the show, and this is most definitely a benefit to UNI.

WSU gets a show like this, even on regional TV, and we would never not hear about it and how the success and exposure it's bringing.

Someone else gets it and it becomes an issue of "OH OF COURSE ONLY ILLINOIS AND BLAH BLAH BLAH REGIONAL!"

:roll:

This has nothing to do with me being a WSU fan. Hell, it probably has more to do with me being an FSU fan.

I just don't care. Evansville can have a documentary on public access television and I won't care, either -- and honestly that's not far off from how I see this. Regional coverage is meaningless to me.

UNI is a nationally ranked, nationally recognized, excellent basketball team, nearly guaranteed an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, with a great chance to win the Valley regular season and/or Arch Madness. UNI has a few of the best players in the entire country, and a criminally underrated coach. UNI does not need exposure on a regional Chicago channel. If this was Evansville having a documentary on a regional Chicago station, I'd be excited for them ... if it was Loyola, I'd be overjoyed. But it's not ... it's UNI, and that makes it a cute story, but not "major exposure."

This is all about what you want your program to be. If you want to be a cute regional team, then awesome, great news! If you want to be a nationally prominent team, then who gives a flip about a regional sports channel in a region you're already in?

If WSU has a documentary on a regional sports channel, I'll be happily watching, but I damn sure won't be talking about what "A HUGE DEAL!" it is for us. Because whether it helps us get a few more eyeballs on the program in Illinois and Iowa is meaningless to me. You know what helps get eyeballs on you in Illinois and Iowa? The 175% of this conference and the 47 games a year we already play in Illinois and Iowa.

More people are exposed to UNI by a single top 10 highlight on SportsCenter than will be exposed to UNI by this entire documentary. The documentary will be exciting and good television for UNI fans, I'm sure. It will not be "great exposure."
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Championz » January 13th, 2015, 8:56 pm

unipanther99 wrote:
Championz wrote: how about a recap of the weekly episodes?

The first episode was more or less about coach Jake, his family, getting ready for the North Dakota game, and becoming the all time coaching wins leader at UNI against his alma-mater.

The second episode was the trip down to SFA to play in the 24 hours of basketball on ESPN, and the (somewhat) homecoming for Deon Mitchell, focusing on him and how difficult it can be to play so far away from home.

Thank you.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » January 13th, 2015, 8:57 pm

rlh04d wrote:
This has nothing to do with me being a WSU fan. Hell, it probably has more to do with me being an FSU fan.

I just don't care. Evansville can have a documentary on public access television and I won't care, either -- and honestly that's not far off from how I see this. Regional coverage is meaningless to me.

UNI is a nationally ranked, nationally recognized, excellent basketball team, nearly guaranteed an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, with a great chance to win the Valley regular season and/or Arch Madness. UNI has a few of the best players in the entire country, and a criminally underrated coach. UNI does not need exposure on a regional Chicago channel. If this was Evansville having a documentary on a regional Chicago station, I'd be excited for them ... if it was Loyola, I'd be overjoyed. But it's not ... it's UNI, and that makes it a cute story, but not "major exposure."

This is all about what you want your program to be. If you want to be a cute regional team, then awesome, great news! If you want to be a nationally prominent team, then who gives a flip about a regional sports channel in a region you're already in?

If WSU has a documentary on a regional sports channel, I'll be happily watching, but I damn sure won't be talking about what "A HUGE DEAL!" it is for us. Because whether it helps us get a few more eyeballs on the program in Illinois and Iowa is meaningless to me. You know what helps get eyeballs on you in Illinois and Iowa? The 175% of this conference and the 47 games a year we already play in Illinois and Iowa.

More people are exposed to UNI by a single top 10 highlight on SportsCenter than will be exposed to UNI by this entire documentary. The documentary will be exciting and good television for UNI fans, I'm sure. It will not be "great exposure."

:+1:

I just don't understand the need to get so defensive about a couple of truthful, but albeit painful comments.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle » January 15th, 2015, 10:29 pm

They don't have high speed internet in Wichita? Man, that sucks.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » January 16th, 2015, 3:11 am

Kyle wrote:They don't have high speed internet in Wichita? Man, that sucks.

Since this is an internet forum, that doesn't really make sense.

Next time, think harder when reviving a 3 day old thread.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » January 16th, 2015, 7:07 am

Championz wrote:

Since this is an internet forum, that doesn't really make sense.

Next time, think harder when reviving a 3 day old thread.

So, one couldn't access forums on a dial up connection? :huh:
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » January 16th, 2015, 7:55 am

What's dial-up? Is that something popular in Cedar Falls or something?
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » January 16th, 2015, 8:33 am

Championz wrote:What's dial-up? Is that something popular in Cedar Falls or something?

Funny you should mention Cedar Falls and internet.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » January 16th, 2015, 4:51 pm

I'm sure that's meant to be an insult to someone, somewhere, but I'm failing to see how that makes any sense at all.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 23rd, 2015, 4:57 pm

ZOMG look at all this media coverage for WSU that puts all other schools exposure to shame!!!!!!!

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 19351.html
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball