Drake Coach - On Drugs?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Drake Coach - On Drugs?

Postby Snaggletooth » January 12th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Drake coach talking about ISUR

I think they’re [ISUR] more talented than Wichita State at each position 1 through 12,” said Drake coach Ray Giacoletti.

So now we know what Drake coach problem - lack of judgement in talent.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Drake Coach - On Drugs?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Drake Coach - On Drugs?

Postby Wufan » January 12th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:Drake coach talking about ISUR

I think they’re [ISUR] more talented than Wichita State at each position 1 through 12,” said Drake coach Ray Giacoletti.

ISU is at least arguably more talented at the 4 and 5. You could say DAP is a better player than Tekele Cotton. I'd listen to an argument that the Redbirds are better at every position off the bench (I don't buy it, but I could see it). Baker and VanVleet? Probably off your rocker.

If true, what does this say about Dan Muller?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » January 12th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Not only is this blatantly incorrect, do you really want to keep giving WSU reasons to pummel Drake in the rematch?

That's likely going to be an absolute mauling at this rate.

Something tells me Lansing has a different opinion.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 12th, 2015, 7:55 pm

To be fair during the broadcast of WSU vs LUC Mark Adams said that ISUr was the most talented team in the league as well.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 12th, 2015, 8:06 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:To be fair during the broadcast of WSU vs LUC Mark Adams said that ISUr was the most talented team in the league as well.

He absolutely did, and that comment has some merit. Saying they're more talented AT EVERY POSITION 1-12 is either wrong, or Muller is a poor coach.

A fair question based on that comment: is Paris Lee better than VanVleet?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 12th, 2015, 8:25 pm

Wufan wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:To be fair during the broadcast of WSU vs LUC Mark Adams said that ISUr was the most talented team in the league as well.

He absolutely did, and that comment has some merit. Saying they're more talented AT EVERY POSITION 1-12 is either wrong, or Muller is a poor coach.

A fair question based on that comment: is Paris Lee better than VanVleet?

I am not saying either person is right. I would guess that VanVleet and Baker are both better than the comparable person from ISUr's roster. I do agree that ISUr is extremely talented though.

The only way the 1-12 comment would be valid is if they meant that VanVleet is the best player on WSU and Lynch (or whoever) is best on ISUr and that Lynch is better. So you compare the players in strict order of who you think is the most talented not judging them by saying VanVleet is better at PG than Paris Lee. If you get what I mean by that. Again not saying I agree with this statement just saying maybe that is what they meant. :huh:
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jwa123 » January 12th, 2015, 9:37 pm

Wufan wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:Drake coach talking about ISUR

ISU is at least arguably more talented at the 4 and 5. You could say DAP is a better player than Tekele Cotton. I'd listen to an argument that the Redbirds are better at every position off the bench (I don't buy it, but I could see it). Baker and VanVleet? Probably off your rocker.

WUFAN, what it says for Dan Muller is that he has been coaching a team that hasn't been healthy since mid-December. These aren't just role players that have been hurt but key cogs for the team. I'm not going to say that ISUr is the most talented team in the league but some of the losses in the past would have been wins with a healthy roster. As for Dan Muller, when the team is healthy the rubber meets the road for him at that juncture and we will then have a clearer picture about what to say about Dan Muller.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Championz » January 12th, 2015, 10:00 pm

Dan has already indicated that Illinois State is the best team in the league. Now that he has a healthy roster, I expect the Redbirds to go on a 14 game tear.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » January 12th, 2015, 11:52 pm

Baker got some AA honors last year. VanVleet got a lot of them. What do they call players who are better than AA? I'm not familiar with that.

IlSU:
W/L: 9-6; SOS: 73

WSU:
W/L: 13-2; SOS: 23

Cotton is the returning MVC Defensive PoY, currently averaging 10.1 ppg, 3.1 boards, 2.4 assists, 1.4 steals, and an A/TO ratio of 2.29.

Giacaletti's comment show a lack of respect for IlSU's coach and WSU's players. I'm certain he didn't intend it that way. I'm certain he was trying to give the best compliment possible to IlSU's players.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 13th, 2015, 6:08 am

jwa123 wrote:
Wufan wrote:

WUFAN, what it says for Dan Muller is that he has been coaching a team that hasn't been healthy since mid-December...I'm not going to say that ISUr is the most talented team....

If what Giacoletti said isn't true, it doesn't say anything about Muller, but it might say something about Coach Gia.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball