What's the deal with the Sycamores

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: What's the deal with the Sycamores

Postby isumvc1 » January 15th, 2015, 6:09 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Is ISUb better without Jake Odum, now that they have adjusted to his departure?

Consider that Jake Odum was a good/greatish player, but that he and ISUb basically maintained the exact same level of play during his tenure.

Discuss.

I'll chime in best I can, so here is my 2 cents.

Yes, we had a very good 4 year run with Odum, which was great, we made the NCAA tourney, played in the NIT and also played in other post season tourneys. But the same type scenario unfolded with ISU basketball as did with Shakir Bell and ISU football. Early on (first 2 seasons), noone knew how to defend ISU, then once teams figured out how to defend and play us we kind of stalled out. We were still successful, but never able to get over the hump per se, and win in the post season tourneys.

I got tired of the offense, it was slow, lots of standing around, passing, then hoping a shot would go in.

I was hopeful once Jake graduated whoever took over would speed things up, fly around the floor, pass much more, take better shots, etc, etc...

Early on this season we were literally playing street ball, it was dreadful to watch, noone knew what in the heck to do. BUT, players were moving faster, flying around the floor, passing better, etc.... but we couldn't hit the ocean with shots, FT's, 3's, etc...so we lost many games we had no business losing (EIU, UMKC, Ball State, St Louis).

Now more recently they've been playing much better, faster, not standing around, using screens, picks, etc.., people are looking for the ball by moving around, not just standing around. It's a faster paced style of play and I think most ISU fans like it that way.

We still don't rebound very well, as was evidenced last night, but we're shooting better so that offsets that discrepancy (a little), if we keep rebounding poorly it'll kill us sooner rather than later.

So to answer the question, I think we're better w/o Odum and will continue to get better, it's a different style of play that I think will continue to pay dividends for ISU hoops
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redbird Recon » January 16th, 2015, 5:48 pm

I do stats for an MVC fantasy league. One glaring thing I picked up on: Kitchell and Gant are both playing their nuts off compared to their non-con numbers. It's night and day. The guards have been streaky all season, but their frontcourt production is seeing a massive uptick. Gant's non-con shooting numbers were way below what he had shown in previous seasons. I had a feeling he would see a spike.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Svoboda » January 16th, 2015, 8:07 pm

Redbird Recon wrote:I do stats for an MVC fantasy league. One glaring thing I picked up on: Kitchell and Gant are both playing their nuts off compared to their non-con numbers. It's night and day. The guards have been streaky all season, but their frontcourt production is seeing a massive uptick. Gant's non-con shooting numbers were way below what he had shown in previous seasons. I had a feeling he would see a spike.

Kitch has actually been consistent the entire year. He's had the top PER on our team all season long. I maintain a Valley stats spreadsheet that includes advanced stats. As for Gant, you're correct. His non-con shooting numbers were in the 30s% for FG and 20s% for 3FG and he has raised them considerably over the last 7 games.

http://www.sycamorepride.com/showthread ... 14-Edition
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Redbird Recon » January 16th, 2015, 10:37 pm

Svoboda wrote:Kitch has actually been consistent the entire year. He's had the top PER on our team all season long. I maintain a Valley stats spreadsheet that includes advanced stats.

Huge difference between 5.8 ppg in the non-con and 11.8 ppg in Valley play.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » January 17th, 2015, 6:25 pm

Who exactly have the Trees beat that was crazy?
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 17th, 2015, 7:30 pm

bleach wrote:Who exactly have the Trees beat that was crazy?

SIU, MSU, ISUr, UE...the way they finished their non-con they looked like they'd go 0-18.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 17th, 2015, 11:11 pm

I'll be honest - I'm looking at ISU's upcoming schedule and it looks like a horror film is about to break out. This feels like a 1-7 stretch just waiting to leap out from the shadows and kill their season.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby pafan » January 18th, 2015, 11:07 am

I'm not sure that every day life in Terre Haute isn't like a horror movie...
Attachments
haunting-in-terre-haute.jpg
haunting-in-terre-haute.jpg (78.61 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby NeutralObserver » January 18th, 2015, 12:39 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:I'll be honest - I'm looking at ISU's upcoming schedule and it looks like a horror film is about to break out. This feels like a 1-7 stretch just waiting to leap out from the shadows and kill their season.

have to agree. their flame fizzled @ Drake due to a serious failure to defend anything. may be a while before they win again?

:Violin:
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby squirrel » January 18th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Reminds me of friend who was once offered a job in Terre Haute cold. When asked why the offer was declined, his response was "I've been to Terre Haute." :P
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball