MVC-MWC challenge revival?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC-MWC challenge revival?

Postby rlh04d » January 19th, 2015, 11:36 am

RoyalShock wrote:Use Pomeroy as the primary system since it's far more accurate in early January than the RPI and in my opinion, the far better rating.

I don't like the last suggestion, simply because the selection committee uses RPI over KenPom. KenPom would give you the best opponents; RPI would give you the games most valuable to your tournament seed.

Just with a quick glance ... Florida would be a very tough matchup for anyone right now (KenPom #25), but you're not going to get a huge RPI benefit from that tough test (RPI #70). Or on the other hand, Colorado St (RPI #35 vs KenPom #65).

If we were pairing Valley teams off of that metric, WSU would clearly get the tougher test, but UNI would clearly get the bigger tournament benefit.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RoyalShock » January 19th, 2015, 11:51 am

rlh04d wrote:
RoyalShock wrote:Use Pomeroy as the primary system since it's far more accurate in early January than the RPI and in my opinion, the far better rating.

I don't like the last suggestion, simply because the selection committee uses RPI over KenPom. KenPom would give you the best opponents; RPI would give you the games most valuable to your tournament seed.

Just with a quick glance ... Florida would be a very tough matchup for anyone right now (KenPom #25), but you're not going to get a huge RPI benefit from that tough test (RPI #70). Or on the other hand, Colorado St (RPI #35 vs KenPom #65).

If we were pairing Valley teams off of that metric, WSU would clearly get the tougher test, but UNI would clearly get the bigger tournament benefit.

I don't disagree with any of that. But in order to pick the teams early (giving time to promote the heck out of the match-ups) enough to play in early February (a better place to break from conference games, in my opinion), I'm willing to forget about the RPI.

Even the BracketBuster matchups didn't go strictly by RPI since teams from the same conference couldn't play against each other and being limited to pre-determined home-away designations. I also don't believe the difference between using RPI and Pomeroy is going to make or break any team's at-large chances.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 19th, 2015, 2:57 pm

I'd rather not use any type of rating system. Just get Elgin and the other commish in a room and bang it out. Let's not be bound by arbitrary numbers.

I've been screaming for years about the sense a WCC/MVC challenge would make. For God's sake, if we have to promise Gonzaga they'll get Wichita every time to get it done...just get it done.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 22nd, 2015, 9:47 pm

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MVCfans » January 22nd, 2015, 9:51 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:It's getting official.

http://m.pjstar.com/article/20150122/SP ... 1420206795

Great news.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Play Angry » January 23rd, 2015, 2:06 am

Very interested to see if this kicks in next year or not until 2016-17.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » January 23rd, 2015, 7:21 am

Jake has mentioned that it will start next year. He expects UNI to have a home game, fwiw...

Be really interested to see the matchups.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » January 23rd, 2015, 8:18 am

BCPanther wrote:Jake has mentioned that it will start next year. He expects UNI to have a home game, fwiw...

Be really interested to see the matchups.

Nice, thanks.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » January 23rd, 2015, 11:02 am

This is great news for Wichita State if they are at or near the top of the league regularly. One less game to try and schedule. It sort of sucks for the Drakes of the world who now have to travel a long distance to play a crappy team and when they get a return game it's from someone the fans won't give a rip about.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » January 23rd, 2015, 5:44 pm

Red wrote:This is great news for Wichita State if they are at or near the top of the league regularly. One less game to try and schedule. It sort of sucks for the Drakes of the world who now have to travel a long distance to play a crappy team and when they get a return game it's from someone the fans won't give a rip about.

Easy solution. Stop being terrible.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball