Re: MVC-MWC challenge revival?

Postby unipanther99 » January 16th, 2015, 9:43 am

This needs to happen.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby glm38 » January 16th, 2015, 10:18 am

unipanther99 wrote:This needs to happen.

Makes sense for both conferences. Elgin needs to make sure cit does happen.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 16th, 2015, 7:18 pm

I would hope the conference RPI standings has shot a dose of reality into the Mountain West.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby ACECARD » January 16th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Would help the Aces greatly. Could replace one of their SWAC opponents with one from the MWC.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 16th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Based on last year's standings, here's a mock matchup for this year:

Wichita St/San Diego St
Indiana St/New Mexico
UNLV/Northern Iowa
Missouri St/Nevada
Illinois St/Boise St
Southern Illinois/Wyoming
Bradley/Fresno St
Drake/Utah St
Evansville/Colorado St
Loyola/Air Force

In particular, I think WSU/SDSU could easily be a yearly rivalry.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby FearDaTrees » January 17th, 2015, 9:53 am

I'd like to see it come back but I'd much rather see the BracketBusters back. The MWC can help some teams but if the Valley were to ever get in the position where we had several teams with an at-large shot, it could hurt us if they were having a down year. Maybe make it a weekend in late January/early February and match the pairings so Wichita St doesn't get paired with UNLV in a down year and actually hurt their RPI.

Also, they have 11 teams and we have 10. I don't remember how that worked? I feel like I remember Evansville playing two MWC teams in a week period or did 1 team a year from the MWC just sit out?
FearDaTrees
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby unipanther99 » January 17th, 2015, 10:41 am

FearDaTrees wrote:I'd like to see it come back but I'd much rather see the BracketBusters back. The MWC can help some teams but if the Valley were to ever get in the position where we had several teams with an at-large shot, it could hurt us if they were having a down year. Maybe make it a weekend in late January/early February and match the pairings so Wichita St doesn't get paired with UNLV in a down year and actually hurt their RPI.

Also, they have 11 teams and we have 10. I don't remember how that worked? I feel like I remember Evansville playing two MWC teams in a week period or did 1 team a year from the MWC just sit out?

Bracketbusters turned into a "let everyone play" mess. If it ever comes back, it should be limited to mid-major programs who either finished in the top half of their conference or top 150 of the RPI the previous year, and even that wouldn't be perfect.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Wufan » January 17th, 2015, 11:08 am

FearDaTrees wrote:I'd like to see it come back but I'd much rather see the BracketBusters back. The MWC can help some teams but if the Valley were to ever get in the position where we had several teams with an at-large shot, it could hurt us if they were having a down year. Maybe make it a weekend in late January/early February and match the pairings so Wichita St doesn't get paired with UNLV in a down year and actually hurt their RPI.

I'm doubtful that the MWC is going to have such a down year that it drags down the MVC with it. I'm sure the MWC schools are much more worried about the inverse.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 17th, 2015, 12:22 pm

If the goal is to get the most useful games for the conference, the MWC challenge is infinitely superior to BracketBusters. BB is much, much, MUCH more likely to hurt us than the MWC.
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball