Jan. 17th-18th Games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Jan. 17th-18th Games

Postby DUBulldog » January 17th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Aargh wrote:Way to go, Bulldogs. I had picked Drake over InSU as the upset of the week. Made me look like a genius.

Glad they could help!

:Cheers:
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby pafan » January 17th, 2015, 8:44 pm

UE-grad wrote:Was Boo Gibson hurt (I remember him twisting an ankle/knee late in the 1st) or was it another dose of playing well in the first half gets you pine time in the second?

**** edit, i just looked at the stats, Boo started the 2nd half and played 3:00 before sitting the rest of the game.

Gibson hurt his back in the 2nd half and spent much of the 2nd half in the locker room.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Snaggletooth » January 17th, 2015, 9:13 pm

COUTEAU wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:20 point road win by the Shox at EU.

Yes, SHOX beat The ACES.
No doubt about that.
However they played UE, as in The University of Evansville.
Not EU, which would be Elon University, Emrory University, or Evergreen University. Could even have been European Union.
But, EU is not, The University of Evansville.

Go to Div 2 and maybe you will get respect.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » January 17th, 2015, 9:47 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:20 point road win by the Shox at EU.

Yes, SHOX beat The ACES.
No doubt about that.
Not EU, which would be Elon University, Emrory University, or Evergreen University. Could even have been European Union.

But you would still be classless
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » January 17th, 2015, 10:45 pm

UE-grad wrote:Definition of insanity - going to the ACES game against a better opponent and hoping Marty does something different.

I was embarrassed to drive 4 hours round trip to see the same thing again.
The team in white was not prepared to play. The game plan was the same as always, dribble round and hit DJ trying to curl in the lane. Have poor spacing so the decision to double is naturally made and there are no lanes to the basket.

Play man on D, with piss poor match-ups. Why wasn't Brzoja or Benzon on Baker? Instead it was Blake (slow) and Gibson/Brown (too small).

Play zone 3-2 to guard against the drive and 3, Mock could handle the boards.

The table was set-up nicely early in the game, FVV picked up 2 quick fouls, Baker picked one up early, yet there was no effort to try and get his second.

Was Boo Gibson hurt (I remember him twisting an ankle/knee late in the 1st) or was it another dose of playing well in the first half gets you pine time in the second?

**** edit, i just looked at the stats, Boo started the 2nd half and played 3:00 before sitting the rest of the game.

This team has the talent to be a solid 3rd place/fight for 2nd, but Thursday here we come.

queue 6th ace and his troll comments. I know they are coming. :huh:

The Aces got beat by the better team. Alabama got beat by a better team today by a worst differential. Thanks for making the 4 hour trip you helped fill the Ford Center. The Aces got beat by a team that took away the game plan. Argue if you want that the game plan is out dated but the Shockers didn't let UE run their offense plain and simple.

Troll remark is found here....haven't seen your alterego lately but I'm sure it'll come out of you soon. :dance:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 17th, 2015, 11:17 pm

sixth ace wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:

Yes, SHOX beat The ACES.
No doubt about that.

But you would still be classless

You are just feeding the troll my friend. This guy lives for reactions like yours.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » January 18th, 2015, 8:42 am

Looks like Giacoletti has completely revamped the Drake offense, and it paid off yesterday.

This was really the second game with the new offensive mindset. Bulldogs almost won at Loyola....if everybody other than Ricks wasn't ice cold, they probably would have won that game, too. Earlier in the season, the entire offense was to pound it inside to Enevold or send cutters to the basket. Enevold isn't ready to be the primary focus of the offense, and cutters were getting their shots blocked at an alarming rate. The strength of this team is outside shooting, and they are now trying to utilize that strength. Worked well yesterday, although it took 12-17 shooting from 3-point range to win the game. Defense is still pretty weak.

The emphasis on 3-point shooting will help open things up for Enevold inside, and he'll end up being more effective as well.

As a group, Drake fans were worried that this would turn into a Kanaskie season (0-18 in MVC).
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PantherSigEp » January 18th, 2015, 10:41 am

Is kanaskie like the "anti-Keno"?
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » January 18th, 2015, 10:56 am

PantherSigEp wrote:Is kanaskie like the "anti-Keno"?

Not sure if you're old enough to actually remember Kanaskie, but he definitely set the bar as low as it could possibly be set....in his first 2 seasons, he went 5-50, including 0-36 in the MVC. Those numbers are practically incomprehensible. For whatever reasons, Drake kept him around for 7 seasons. He finished with overall record of 62-136 (31-95 in MVC play).

Anwyay, I'm getting sidetracked, and I really remember very little about Kanaskie's teams, style of play, etc. The human brain has a great ability to block traumatic memories.

The true anti-Keno was actually Mark Phelps. Not only did he immediately follow Keno at Drake, but his style of play and his philosophy of how basketball should be played was 180 degrees off from Keno/Tom Davis (completely opposite). In retrospect, he was a truly bizarre hire. With a team full of guys recruited for a high risk/high reward system, they hired a guy from a coaching tree known to be extremely conservative (low risk/low reward).
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pafan » January 18th, 2015, 10:56 am

DUBulldog wrote:Looks like Giacoletti has completely revamped the Drake offense, and it paid off yesterday.
The emphasis on 3-point shooting will help open things up for Enevold inside, and he'll end up being more effective as well.

Sounds like the change we'd all love to see in Evansville. :Beer:
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball