Jan. 17th-18th Games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Jan. 17th-18th Games

Postby glm38 » January 20th, 2015, 9:12 pm

Wufan wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:After Cotton graduates this year I'd be confident in saying that Morgan will be the top defensive guard in the Valley. His speed, length and athleticism are a huge reasons the Panthers have caused more turnovers than assists this year (.70 opposing Assist/TO ratio in MVC play; .74 overall) and I'd love to see just how many are a result of Morgan being aggressive and stripping a ball or tipping a "safe" pass. I'd wager he's been involved in about 60-70% of our "steals" this year even if he wasn't the one who came up with it. The only real flaw in his game is that his aggressiveness has gotten him into foul trouble the past 2 years. It will be interesting to see him step up and take on a greater offensive role next year when Deon and Seth graduate and Wes will be our main scoring threat. Guys like Morgan, Lohaus and Koch will need to "grow up" fast and be willing to be a bit more selfish with the ball. Those 3 are all really promising talents at the moment.

I have a bias towards Baker being the second best guard in the Valley. VanVleet is also exceptional. I know ISU fans have a fondness for Paris Lee. Jeremy Morgan is certainly an excellent defender. I'm leaving some out, but no doubt the above mentioned group is very strong.

Baker is the 2nd best guard in the Valley? Who is #1? VanVleet? I would put Baker as the #1 player. I don't think I've seen a better all around MVC player since ???....
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » January 20th, 2015, 9:23 pm

glm38 wrote:
Wufan wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:After Cotton graduates this year I'd be confident in saying that Morgan will be the top defensive guard in the Valley. His speed, length and athleticism are a huge reasons the Panthers have caused more turnovers than assists this year (.70 opposing Assist/TO ratio in MVC play; .74 overall) and I'd love to see just how many are a result of Morgan being aggressive and stripping a ball or tipping a "safe" pass. I'd wager he's been involved in about 60-70% of our "steals" this year even if he wasn't the one who came up with it. The only real flaw in his game is that his aggressiveness has gotten him into foul trouble the past 2 years. It will be interesting to see him step up and take on a greater offensive role next year when Deon and Seth graduate and Wes will be our main scoring threat. Guys like Morgan, Lohaus and Koch will need to "grow up" fast and be willing to be a bit more selfish with the ball. Those 3 are all really promising talents at the moment.

I have a bias towards Baker being the second best guard in the Valley. VanVleet is also exceptional. I know ISU fans have a fondness for Paris Lee. Jeremy Morgan is certainly an excellent defender. I'm leaving some out, but no doubt the above mentioned group is very strong.

Baker is the 2nd best guard in the Valley? Who is #1? VanVleet? I would put Baker as the #1 player. I don't think I've seen a better all around MVC player since ???....

Defensively, this year, I have Cotton #1 and Baker #2. There have been games where those are switched, especially early in the year. I do agree with you that Baker is the best all around player in the Valley. He does EVERYTHING!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby aceslifer » January 20th, 2015, 9:32 pm

to my mind, van vleet is the weakest pre-season all-American choice ever selected
aceslifer
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Wufan » January 20th, 2015, 9:46 pm

aceslifer wrote:to my mind, van vleet is the weakest pre-season all-American choice ever selected

He's horrible! I wish we didn't have to deal with him.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SHOXMVC » January 20th, 2015, 10:23 pm

aceslifer wrote:to my mind, van vleet is the weakest pre-season all-American choice ever selected

Just started watching basketball, huh?

:Bam:
SHOXMVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » January 20th, 2015, 11:35 pm

SHOXMVC wrote:

Just started watching basketball, huh?

:Bam:

More like, new to trolling. Not a very spirited effort.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby aceslifer » January 21st, 2015, 8:12 am

Didn't say he wasn't 1st team all-MVC, said he wasn't 1st team all-American. Probably not even 2nd team all-american
aceslifer
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby SHOXMVC » January 21st, 2015, 9:59 am

aceslifer wrote:Didn't say he wasn't 1st team all-MVC, said he wasn't 1st team all-American. Probably not even 2nd team all-american

Then make an argument for that, not some flagrant comment about him being the "weakest AA ever." If I thought it would be worth my time I would delve into the past and come up with several "weaker" examples, but I'm considering the source on this one.

Now, I will address your more recent post. I agree 100%...but the year isn't over with yet.

See, wasn't that easy. Don't act like a tool and you won't be treated as such. Good day.
SHOXMVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BUDude » January 21st, 2015, 11:42 am

aceslifer wrote:Didn't say he wasn't 1st team all-MVC, said he wasn't 1st team all-American. Probably not even 2nd team all-american

I think a pretty strong argument could be made that FVV isn't a 1st team Valley guy this year. He'll probably get put on there because of past performance (called the "Weems" effect), but he hasn't been great this season.
BUDude
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Play Angry » January 21st, 2015, 11:47 am

BUDude wrote:

I think a pretty strong argument could be made that FVV isn't a 1st team Valley guy this year. He'll probably get put on there because of past performance (called the "Weems" effect), but he hasn't been great this season.

Eh, his FG% is really the only black mark on his resume- I think he's definitely still the cream of the crop at PG this year.

1st in the league in assists, 2nd in steals, and a 3.7:1 assist-to-turnover ratio while running the offense for the team presently leading the MVC.

And although 33.3% from beyond the arc is disappointing for FVV, it's not exactly Gottlieb territory and has seen a steady upward trend since mid-December. He probably finishes around 36% from 3FG which is solid if unspectacular, and it is far from the biggest asset he brings to the team.

FYI and to show how huge the gulf is between FVV and the rest of league's PGs when it comes to taking care of and distributing the ball:

Assist-to-Turnover Ratio League Leaders:

1. FVV (99 assists, 27 turnovers, 3.7:1 ratio)
2. Dorrian Williams (84 assists, 45 turnovers, 1.9:1 ratio)

Just lol at that Grand Canyon sized divide. Source: http://www.mvc.org/mbb/stats/CONFLDRS.HTM#conf.wki
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball