January 20th -21st games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: January 20th -21st games

Postby valleyclimber » January 21st, 2015, 1:04 am

Drake plays pretty decent at home. The Redbirds get the job done at DU despite the fact they played without their starting PG Paris Lee (and ISU is still without starter Teddy Hawkins).

Still think once the Redbirds are healed up, they might be dangerous coming down the stretch. UNI Panthers visit Redbird Arena next, but ISU will be nowhere near full strength as even starter Akoon-Purcell is still shaking the rust off after being out for 5 weeks.

Honestly think Drake has some building blocks going forward, and the Bulldogs could be turning it around in a couple seasons.
valleyclimber
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rlh04d » January 21st, 2015, 5:45 am

Wufan wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:As of now he would have to be 2nd team All MVC?

He's right there:

Baker
VanVleet
Tuttle
Balentine
Mockevicius

Knight
Doyle
Thomas
Cotton
Carter
Washpun

That's 11 deserving players. I'm probably leaving someone off the list.

It's amazing that Evansville can continuously have two of the best players in the Valley, and a fairly solid lineup around them, and still be in danger of Thursday night.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » January 21st, 2015, 8:15 am

rlh04d wrote:
Wufan wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:As of now he would have to be 2nd team All MVC?

He's right there:

Baker
VanVleet
Tuttle
Balentine
Mockevicius

Knight
Doyle
Thomas
Cotton
Carter
Washpun

That's 11 deserving players. I'm probably leaving someone off the list.

It's amazing that Evansville can continuously have two of the best players in the Valley, and a fairly solid lineup around them, and still be in danger of Thursday night.

Just about to say the exact same thing.

How can they have one of the best scorers in the league, one of the best big men in the league and a relatively decent supporting cast but but...well...Evansville?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » January 21st, 2015, 9:18 am

It's not a mystery. Marty did a great job of beating Jacobson in the 2nd half of that early match-up but aside from that, what has this guy done that tells us he should still have a job?
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby COUTEAU » January 21st, 2015, 9:48 am

go aces
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby GoAcesgo » January 21st, 2015, 10:03 am

Well, I have went on record as at least one Aces fan that felt like this is judgment year for Marty, maybe recevied longer than most to turn this program around, I do feel like it has made some improvements in 8 years baby steps, but injuries now may slow them down this year, on a side note he is 6-6 in last 12 games against the best 2 coaches (imho) in the league.
GoAcesgo
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby rlh04d » January 21st, 2015, 10:23 am

GoAcesgo wrote:Well, I have went on record as at least one Aces fan that felt like this is judgment year for Marty, maybe recevied longer than most to turn this program around, I do feel like it has made some improvements in 8 years baby steps, but injuries now may slow them down this year, on a side note he is 6-6 in last 12 games against the best 2 coaches (imho) in the league.

He is. He's also lost four straight against Marshall. And is heading towards his seventh season of .500 or worse conference play in eight years.

Evansville's system under Simmons does one thing very well: it puts its best player in a great position to dominate a game when he's on. And because of that, Evansville has a chance in every game to beat anyone. And to lose to anyone if that player is off or contained.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 21st, 2015, 10:56 am

PantherSigEp wrote:It's not a mystery. Marty did a great job of beating Jacobson in the 2nd half of that early match-up but aside from that, what has this guy done that tells us he should still have a job?

This is really the first time in his tenure that I can remember where they had a star player, and some great role players around him. This year they even have two star players with DJ and Mock. The problem is they haven't progressed this year like I think they should have. They should have been great this year, but again are struggling in conference play. I think after this year you need to give a good hard look at changing coaches. Sometimes it is nice to just get some fresh blood. Especially after a team has significantly under performed like I feel they are doing this year.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby GoAcesgo » January 21st, 2015, 10:56 am

He is. He's also lost four straight against Marshall. And is heading towards his seventh season of .500 or worse conference play in eight years.

Evansville's system under Simmons does one thing very well: it puts its best player in a great position to dominate a game when he's on. And because of that, Evansville has a chance in every game to beat anyone. And to lose to anyone if that player is off or contained.[/quote]

HAHA who hasn't lost 4 straight to Marshall only 2 teams in the MVC, Marty did have one above .500 season if you check the records, I feel if he doesn't finish above .500 this year he should be replaced and hopefully most of the team would stay for the new coach, but then again you get what you pay for, his salary I believe is at the bottom of the league.
GoAcesgo
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aargh » January 21st, 2015, 11:00 am

GoAcesgo wrote:...on a side note he is 6-6 in last 12 games against the best 2 coaches (imho) in the league.

And all that got was the origin of the term "Evansvilled".
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball