January 20th -21st games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: January 20th -21st games

Postby glm38 » January 21st, 2015, 9:51 pm

rlh04d wrote:That first half for MoSt had to be so painful. They played terrific on offense and were still down by six. And had no chance at keeping up with the Shockers in the second half.

The WSU walkons/deep bench actually extended the lead on MoSt to 23 in the final minutes.

WSU's MOV over Valley teams now at 14.3 through seven.

The Shockers are simply better at every position. Too much Baker, VanVleet, Cotton, and Carter.

I was just pleasantly surprised we kept it close for a half. Some of our guys played pretty well and they all played hard at least. Classy of Marshall to not run up the score in the last quarter.

One surprising observation though - is conditioning an issue with Shaq Morris? From where I was sitting he looked like he was laboring pretty hard just to get up and down the floor the short time he was in? That's a shame. Carter is tough but you really need another big to go with him ( against better teams than us anyway).
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » January 21st, 2015, 9:54 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
Wufan wrote:
acesfool wrote:How lucky have we been this year on the road? Second straight were the other team was without their leading scorer and third on the season.

Still got to execute. Plus, IIR, Thomas is the leading scorer for the Ramblers this year.

Would you really consider Thomas the best player for Loyola though? Not to mention I doubt he's been 100% at any point this season

No, not at all. He stated leading scorer and I was just correcting that.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 21st, 2015, 9:55 pm

glm38 wrote:
rlh04d wrote:That first half for MoSt had to be so painful. They played terrific on offense and were still down by six. And had no chance at keeping up with the Shockers in the second half.

The WSU walkons/deep bench actually extended the lead on MoSt to 23 in the final minutes.

WSU's MOV over Valley teams now at 14.3 through seven.

The Shockers are simply better at every position. Too much Baker, VanVleet, Cotton, and Carter.

I was just pleasantly surprised we kept it close for a half. Some of our guys played pretty well and they all played hard at least. Classy of Marshall to not run up the score in the last quarter.

One surprising observation though - is conditioning an issue with Shaq Morris? From where I was sitting he looked like he was laboring pretty hard just to get up and down the floor the short time he was in? That's a shame. Carter is tough but you really need another big to go with him ( against better teams than us anyway).

Conditioning is in fact an issue for Morris. Not a good game for him but still managed 4 rebounds.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » January 21st, 2015, 9:57 pm

I do have to give ISUb credit. Their game plan was to not allow Mitchell and Wes any penetration and to not let Seth have the chance to have single coverage in the lane where he could maneuver around Gant and Kitchell/Brown/whoever else. It worked from a pts in the paint standpoint. Any pts down there were absolutely battled for. Singleton slipped in behind the D a time or two when Tuttle was in the high post but they cleaned that up quickly too. The issue was their goal was clearly to make UNI beat them from deep, a brilliant plan if you watched the Missouri St game (3-15 or something in that game), but when you give our guys that much space and time it really isn't surprising that we hit 6 of our first 10 3's.

Again Sycamores made good adjustments at half and the Panthers tried to take the air out of the ball early. Clearly they need to just continue to go at teams or they need to contact the Patriots for some pointers. Sycs did a great job of fighting back and absorbing the early barrage of punches. Officiating was really weird though, like you said, both ways.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » January 21st, 2015, 9:59 pm

Wufan wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:
Wufan wrote:
Still got to execute. Plus, IIR, Thomas is the leading scorer for the Ramblers this year.

Would you really consider Thomas the best player for Loyola though? Not to mention I doubt he's been 100% at any point this season

No, not at all. He stated leading scorer and I was just correcting that.

Ahh, right you are
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockem » January 21st, 2015, 10:07 pm

The other bigs for the shox have all started out slow but are coming along. We have Morris, Kelly, Wamukota and Nurger. While none are at the level of Carter, between the group, we manage to keep throwing bodies out there that can compete and do some things now an then. They're all solid players.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » January 21st, 2015, 10:15 pm

shockem wrote:The other bigs for the shox have all started out slow but are coming along. We have Morris, Kelly, Wamukota and Nurger. While none are at the level of Carter, between the group, we manage to keep throwing bodies out there that can compete and do some things now an then. They're all solid players.

Who do most of the shocker fans like the most? Who do you think has most potential moving forward?
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 21st, 2015, 10:22 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:
shockem wrote:The other bigs for the shox have all started out slow but are coming along. We have Morris, Kelly, Wamukota and Nurger. While none are at the level of Carter, between the group, we manage to keep throwing bodies out there that can compete and do some things now an then. They're all solid players.

Who do most of the shocker fans like the most? Who do you think has most potential moving forward?

Of the newcomers, Morris, Kelly and Brown show the most potential thus far. They are all 6-7 explosive athletes. They've all shown flashes but lack consistency.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 21st, 2015, 10:41 pm

uniftw wrote:UNI went cold in the second half...something like 6-19 from the field.

The game should never have been as close as it was. I don't know what it was in the second half but UNI just couldn't hit a shot and ISUb went through a stretch it seems like no matter what they threw up went in.

The officials allowed Gant to get all up inside Tuttle on post defense and it took him too long to get "over it" in the second half. The officials were strange both ways. This game really was the epitome of one time down the court just breathing was a foul and then the next time down the court you could have taken a lead pipe to a guys knee cap and it wasn't going to be called.

The fight UNI showed when it got rough in the second half was something the teams of the last couple season was missing. Last year's UNI teams loses that game by 12

ISU played a great game. They had a good plan defensively and executed it well. They outplayed UNI for much of the game. UNI is fortunate Bohannon knocked down the shots he did, because that was the difference in the game.

Its beyond me how this team went 4-8 out of conference.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » January 21st, 2015, 10:54 pm

valleychamp wrote:
uniftw wrote:UNI went cold in the second half...something like 6-19 from the field.

The game should never have been as close as it was. I don't know what it was in the second half but UNI just couldn't hit a shot and ISUb went through a stretch it seems like no matter what they threw up went in.

The officials allowed Gant to get all up inside Tuttle on post defense and it took him too long to get "over it" in the second half. The officials were strange both ways. This game really was the epitome of one time down the court just breathing was a foul and then the next time down the court you could have taken a lead pipe to a guys knee cap and it wasn't going to be called.

The fight UNI showed when it got rough in the second half was something the teams of the last couple season was missing. Last year's UNI teams loses that game by 12

ISU played a great game. They had a good plan defensively and executed it well. They outplayed UNI for much of the game. UNI is fortunate Bohannon knocked down the shots he did, because that was the difference in the game.

Its beyond me how this team went 4-8 out of conference.

The Syc's did play very well. They were also very fortunate UNI shot 6-19 in the second half or it could have been a 15-20 point win
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball