Coach of the Year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Coach of the Year

Postby rlh04d » January 24th, 2015, 12:54 pm

bleach wrote:If Marshall had to replace 4 or 5 starters and was doing what he is this year that would be a great coaching job THIS YEAR. The award is for who did the most impressive job of coaching THIS YEAR. As is, His team would be a failure THIS YEAR if they do any less than win the conference title going away. Marshall is in my opinion the best coach in the league by a LOT (I think a lot of Jacobson). The award is not for the best coach but for who did the most impressive job. Marshall could still win it this year if they play great and no one else does a superior job. I would say to this point what Moser has done is more impressive than what Marshall has done THIS YEAR. I wouldn't think of hiring Porter over Gregg though.

Personally, I think this argument is pretty ridiculous. What you're arguing for is the Most Improved Coach of the Year award.

Right now, Kyle Korver is probably the most improved player in the NBA right now, relative to the expectations that he created for himself. So should he be the front-runner for the NBA MVP?

That's what you're arguing for coaches. You're arguing that a coach's performance in any given year should be judged relative to their expectations, and their expectations are based on their past performance ... thus, the award should only be allowed to go to coaches with past bad performance who then show good performance. That's "Most Improved." And, ultimately, Gregg Marshall has to be DQed from future Coach of the Year awards unless he wins the conference undefeated or by six games, while any other far inferior coach can win by improving their team from Thursday night to 5th place.

As for what Moser has done specifically ... what is that, exactly?

Go 3-1 against Evansville, Drake, Bradley, and SIU? Three of those teams are guaranteed to be playing on Thursday night, and Evansville isn't out of the woods of doing so themselves. Go 8-2 out of conference? Wonderful, they played ~200 SOS out of conference. Have a top 50 RPI at one point? They'll probably be out of the top 100 in another week at their current pace.

Here is where Porter Moser has been successful: They are 8-1 this year (about to be 8-2) against RPI sub-150 teams. Last year they were 5-14 against those same teams. For the last several years Moser's teams have been barely losing to bad teams -- this year they're been able to turn the corner and beat those bad teams. But they're not actually beating GOOD teams. Loyola will most likely finish in the top half of the Valley this year, but they will also most likely not defeat a single other top-half team in the Valley (depending on whether Evansville can stay in the top half). Loyola, BTW, is about to fall to two games out of 5th place, and closer to 7th than 5th.

I don't get this relative-to-expectations thinking with the Coach of the Year award. If that was the thinking we had with the Player of the Year award, who would we actually be looking at this year? It certainly wouldn't be FVV, Baker, Doyle, Balentine, Mock, Tuttle, etc. All of those guys would need to have their performance this year based relative to expectations, not relative to their competition's performance.

Downplaying a coach's success in terms of an award like this because he's expected to be having success is silly. The coach is the REASON his expectations are so high. Gregg Marshall didn't walk into a favorable situation -- he created the current expectations based on being, by far, the best coach in the Valley. And Porter Moser didn't walk into an unfavorable situation -- his expectations for this year were low because he is, ultimately, not a very good coach, as proven by his three previous years at Loyola, and four years of coaching at Illinois State. But Most Improved Coach, sure, I guess? I think his team performing at a level that's an exception to his entire career is likely less about his coaching.

Hell, I think this is the inherent flaw with a Coach of the Year award, anyway. It implies that coaching is something that can be judged on a single year. It's not. The value of a coach is in their ability to create a program, one that can survive long-term, not catch fire at the right moment, or luck into the right transfer, or have a senior-filled team all at once. WSU's team this year isn't a reason of Marshall's coaching this year, it's the result of Marshall's performance for the last decade -- or even for his entire career. The same with UNI's success. Our tendency to look at a coach's performance in terms of single years is what leads to so many bad coaches being given huge contracts and failing miserably. Too many coaches get credit for individual years as outliers against their larger body of work, or get credit for winning with players they didn't recruit, etc. Successful coaches build programs, and the success of a program can't be judged in a single year, so judging a coach on a single year is a fallacy to begin with.
Last edited by rlh04d on January 24th, 2015, 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rlh04d » January 24th, 2015, 1:09 pm

And don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic about Loyola's performance this year. Turning the corner and beating the sub-150 teams is exactly what they had to start doing to be a true positive for the conference this year and moving forward.

But it doesn't suddenly make Porter Moser the Coach of the Year, or even a good coach.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » January 24th, 2015, 1:47 pm

I guess we shouldn't vote on this and it wouldn't be an award either then. I thought that is what awards were.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » January 24th, 2015, 1:49 pm

bleach wrote:I guess we shouldn't vote on this and it wouldn't be an award either then. I thought that is what awards were.

Just give it to Marshall every year, and be done with it.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » January 24th, 2015, 2:02 pm

bleach wrote:I guess we shouldn't vote on this and it wouldn't be an award either then. I thought that is what awards were.

And I thought awards for rewarding the best.

The MVC Player of the Year award goes to the best player in the MVC, with the best numbers.

The NBA MVP, the NFL MVP, MLB MVP ... the same thing.

The Coach of the Year, though, only gets to be judged relative to expectations?

That's not how these kinds of award work. Coach of the Year is the only award that people argue this absurd relativity aspect for. If you want a Most Improved award, go suggest it. That's not what this award is, and it hasn't been for at least the last seventeen consecutive seasons.

If your explanation for who should win an award contains the caveat that you don't think that person is the best by any means, you're judging it on the wrong qualities, and it's a good thing the people actually deciding it completely disagree with you.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » January 24th, 2015, 2:06 pm

ACECARD wrote:

How about we give the Coach of the Year award to the best coach?

Crazy suggestion, I know.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PowderBlue » January 24th, 2015, 4:23 pm

rlh04d wrote:
ACECARD wrote:

How about we give the Coach of the Year award to the best coach?

Crazy suggestion, I know.

How much weight would you give to overall record when looking at best coach? I guess, to me, the 'best' coach is much harder to view objectively than the best player. In principle, though, I definitely agree with you.
PowderBlue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby rlh04d » January 24th, 2015, 4:52 pm

PowderBlue wrote:How much weight would you give to overall record when looking at best coach? I guess, to me, the 'best' coach is much harder to view objectively than the best player. In principle, though, I definitely agree with you.

That's probably why MVC coaches/voters have chosen the winner of the regular season as the 'best' coach nearly exclusively for 17 straight seasons. Ultimately, winning the conference is probably the most "objective" way to decide it.

I think everyone here knows who the "best" coaches in this conference are. I'd be interested in any argument that doesn't have Marshall #1 and Jacobson #2. The debate gets more interesting in that #3-5 range ... Lansing, Muller, and Simmons most likely.

So the only real debate I see is Marshall or Jacobson. Marshall has better players, Jacobson has more experienced players. I'd probably give it to Jacobson if UNI finishes ahead of or within a game of WSU this year. But even giving it to Jacobson for losing close to WSU seems wrong ... this UNI team has five seniors, and only two non-upperclassmen playing more than five minutes per game. Gregg Marshall has two seniors and six freshmen playing more than five minutes per game. UNI is much more situated to be a "this is our year" type of team; if they can't finish ahead of WSU playing that many newcomers, then I disagree with Jacobson as Coach of the Year. This is the kind of team he simply needs to win the Valley with. You can't load your team with upper classmen and call second place the best coaching performance in the conference.

Personally, I think it's easier to decide the best coach than the best player. When you're comparing a PG to a C, that's a really difficult comparison to make sometimes -- you're looking at completely different numbers. How much do you value the ability to enable the teammates at the expense of personal stats? How much to you factor in the on-ball defense against the other team's primary ball handler? How do you factor in a dominant post presence defensively on opponent shot selection? Assist:TO vs rebounding, etc. But if you're showing me Marshall's resume compared to Moser's, that's not even worth debating. They've both been at their programs long enough to have recruited all of their players, and they're responsible for everything there ... including the expectations that they're being compared against.

If we start a thread about who the best overall player in the MVC is right now, we'd get at least 15 different legitimate answers -- we'd get three different answers just from WSU fans. If we start a thread asking who the best coach in the Valley is, the only people who wouldn't answer Marshall would be trolling. You have to go to coach #3 just to have debate ... that's not the case with players. Coach of the Year is easy.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » January 24th, 2015, 11:28 pm

I think WuDRwu nailed it

Coaching is 90% recruiting. Clearly the only option is Muller. 1-12. This is over.

:Yea!:
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PowderBlue » January 25th, 2015, 10:05 am

Sorry, didn't have time to reply last night with this...had some job commitments to finish up.

I don't disagree at all that the best coaches, in general, are Marshall and Jacobsen. I guess what I meant is that there are always statistics to use when discussing players. Comparing a PG to a C to a swingman is difficult, and quite honestly fun in my opinion, but there are tangible things to hold onto when having that discussion. While the coach and system have a lot to do with how those players perform, great players generally find a way to be great within a system.

On the coaching side, you can look at recruiting classes and you can look at rotations/player groupings as tangible discussion points; but I'm not sure that I would ever use record in the conversation, though I can see the reasoning for it. I always like to compare player usage/performance from the year before to the current year when I think about COY candidates.

This year in the MVC to this point, I don't think anyone can argue that the conversation should be Marshall, Jacobsen, Lansing. It so happens that they are 1-3 in the standings as of the time I'm typing this, but that's not my reasoning. Marshall has had his team playing at a high level with a target on their back all year. Jacobsen has his team overachieving in my opinion, and may well be deserving of the nod over Marshall, but that won't happen if WSU goes undefeated in conference again. Lansing has taken a team with which I had modest hopes for that came out of the gate horribly and turned them into a team that looks like it can compete with and possibly beat any team in the conference on a nightly basis. Truthfully, I think this has been Lansing's best coaching job to date with the Sycamores, and it is incredible that anyone is having that conversation based on the train wreck that was our non-con. I had high hopes for Porter Moser to be in that conversation this year, and he may well still be, but they've fallen off a bit of late.
PowderBlue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball