January 24th-25th games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: January 24th-25th games

Postby Cdizzle » January 27th, 2015, 11:31 am

uniftw wrote:Style of play. Should have included that in the wording.

UNI's style of play isn't "blow out" friendly as much as WSU's style is.

Jacobson is also notrious for taking his foot off the gas about 9 minutes too early in games.

I think I understood, just not sure how much I agree. Both WSU and UNI are in the bottom 30 of KenPoms adjusted tempo. Both have 9 players averaging more than 10mpg. WSU is a little more top-heavy, though this is based on season statistics and those minutes were needed against a tougher NCSOS. I would guess the distribution of minutes is pretty similar in Valley games.

My main point is that I think at the core, both UNI and WSU are approaching winning in similar fashion. Fantastic defense. Ball security. Gameplan disruption. Pace control. Both are imposing their will on the game.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Championz » January 27th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
Championz wrote:I can only imagine how deplorable Redbird fans would be if their team was ever actually good.

How about a mix of ILS and UE fans, when both schools were ranked?

Now that would some fine reading.

The nightmare of all nightmares.

Thankfully, that only happens about once every couple of millenniums.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » January 27th, 2015, 2:02 pm

uniftw wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Jacobson is also notrious for taking his foot off the gas about 9 minutes too early in games.

Marshall does the exact same thing. The only problem is the bench is also capable of pouring it on some teams. Can't really help that.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » January 27th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Championz wrote:Marshall does the exact same thing. The only problem is the bench is also capable of pouring it on some teams. Can't really help that.

UNI's bench can too - check the stats.

UNI simply stops attacking - see Evansville loss, or letting SIU cut the lead from about 20 to about 8.

That's my biggest complain with Jake. He doesn't just sub/slow down. He subs and e-brakes.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 27th, 2015, 3:55 pm

uniftw wrote:
Championz wrote:Marshall does the exact same thing. The only problem is the bench is also capable of pouring it on some teams. Can't really help that.

UNI simply stops attacking - see Evansville loss, or letting SIU cut the lead from about 20 to about 8.

That's my biggest complain with Jake. He doesn't just sub/slow down. He subs and e-brakes.

Interesting. Marshall will usually go about as deep into the bench as he can, but he is trying to build depth, and he lets the youth and the walk-ons play all out. In fact, he demands it. At least until the last minute or two.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » January 27th, 2015, 5:26 pm

uniftw wrote:

That would be the only difference I can see from WSU. Marshall puts the deep bench in (including three walk-ons when they're all able to go), but even with that lineup on the floor he coaches the same way. The walk-ons never hold the ball and kill time.

Otherwise UNI and WSU have extremely similar styles of play right now, with the exception of UNI obviously relying on frontcourt play while WSU relies on the backcourt.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » January 27th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Good grief does this thread have legs and here I am adding to it..

Simple rule. The team with the most points wins. When time expired UNI had the most points.

I was at the game and I am impressed with UNI and they deserve the ranking they have. I think Ben Jacobsen is one of the three premier coaches in this league if not the premier coach. I told my wife after the game that I wish he was our coach. UNI fans should be proud of their team and of their coach.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby rlh04d » January 28th, 2015, 4:22 pm

jwa123 wrote:I think Ben Jacobsen is one of the three premier coaches in this league

Going way out on a limb there on the two time MVC Coach of the Year.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » January 28th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Who's the 3rd "premier" coach?
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby rlh04d » January 28th, 2015, 7:00 pm

unipanther99 wrote:Who's the 3rd "premier" coach?

Lansing is the only one close.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball