January 24th-25th games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: January 24th-25th games

Postby GOREDBIRDS4 » January 26th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:ISUr fans can argue all they want about it, but as one drunk Redbird fan told me in the bathroom of the playoff football game "Scoreboard."

Now that's classy.....

Every team has fans that suck. They just appear more often when your team is winning, such as ISU football, Wichita St basketball, or UNI basketball.
GOREDBIRDS4
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » January 26th, 2015, 2:55 pm

GOREDBIRDS4 wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:ISUr fans can argue all they want about it, but as one drunk Redbird fan told me in the bathroom of the playoff football game "Scoreboard."

Now that's classy.....

Every team has fans that suck. They just appear more often when your team is winning, such as ISU football, Wichita St basketball, or UNI basketball.

Yet to see any classless UNI fans though...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby GOREDBIRDS4 » January 26th, 2015, 3:05 pm

uniftw wrote:Yet to see any classless UNI fans though...

all you have to do is open your eyes.
GOREDBIRDS4
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » January 26th, 2015, 3:14 pm

GOREDBIRDS4 wrote:
uniftw wrote:Yet to see any classless UNI fans though...

all you have to do is open your eyes.

Man...

I feel like Coach Muller right now.

He can't figure out how to beat a zone which has a point man with 4 fouls and I can't see any classless UNI fans.

I can get into that mode if you'd like.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » January 26th, 2015, 4:43 pm

COUTEAU wrote:
rlh04d wrote: band wagon shox fans...the worse

Bandwagon fans of any team are usually the worst. You should have seen some of the Drake "fans" that were posting on Valleytalk and Drakenation back in 2008.....none of them are anywhere to be found now.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Haha » January 26th, 2015, 4:44 pm

rlh04d wrote:
Haha wrote:
isuredbirds92 wrote:
I mean you wanted to talk about the IQ of the fan bases, so I just thought I'd nip that in the bud.

Oh you did, ur audiologist, MBA'ers, and Nurses are all slightly slower than WSU's. Looks like u have some real good high school counslers though. Couldn't tell how the eng departments stacked up. Congrats though u guys are certainly the northwestern of normal, very impressive.

What this has to do with ur basketball team I am still unsure.

Your.

Great catch! :Yea!:

I wonder if one ever types ur instead of your when using a phone and looking to avoid a few extra steps?
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » January 26th, 2015, 4:47 pm

rlh04d wrote:34 point drubbing for Drake, with tons of playing time for WSU's deep bench. Marshall played 15, and only Nurger and walkon JRS went scoreless.

I have a feeling Ray will probably keep his foot away from his mouth in press conferences moving forward, but I appreciate the motivation he gave to our 6-13 guys.

What's weird is that despite the extra motivation that Giacoletti apparently gave the Shox, ISU still beat Drake worse than WSU did....and ISU was missing 3 starters when they played Drake. Please don't assume that to mean I'm saying ISU is better than WSU, but ISU was really good the night Giacoletti made those comments.

Sorry to interrupt the ISU-UNI pissing contest. :Cheers:
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cdizzle » January 26th, 2015, 5:10 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
rlh04d wrote:34 point drubbing for Drake, with tons of playing time for WSU's deep bench. Marshall played 15, and only Nurger and walkon JRS went scoreless.

I have a feeling Ray will probably keep his foot away from his mouth in press conferences moving forward, but I appreciate the motivation he gave to our 6-13 guys.

What's weird is that despite the extra motivation that Giacoletti apparently gave the Shox, ISU still beat Drake worse than WSU did....and ISU was missing 3 starters when they played Drake. Please don't assume that to mean I'm saying ISU is better than WSU, but ISU was really good the night Giacoletti made those comments.

Sorry to interrupt the ISU-UNI pissing contest. :Cheers:

Meh. I think the point was made. If more margin were needed to make it, it could have been. I do not think Ray intentionally slighted WSU, but perhaps he and others will choose words more carefully in the future. I do think there were a couple of things at work.

1. Marshall has built a monster out of being disrespected. He now has Top 25 talent that he can use the fuel to motivate. Comparing Marshall's team unfavorably to a team he does not like only serves to make it worse.
2. WSU faced a weakening of perception, both nationally, and around the league, thru late December and into early January. Coaches talked of weaknesses and things they could exploit. That perception and mystique has probably been worth a few points against lesser teams over the past couple of years. The past 2-3 weeks WSU has been dismantling teams and rebuilding that perception. This week brings the big test.

This from the WSU beat writer, pretty well sums up how I feel about it.

You can read the stories that contain the quotes from Drake coach Ray Giacoletti here from the Jan. 7 game against Illinois State and here from the Jan. 21 game against Illinois State.

The Shockers eagerly seized on those words, understandably, as an insult to their MVC dominance.

Thats standard motivational ploy in athletics. WSU didnt need that jolt to beat Drake. Coaches and players took the gift and ran. In every setting Ive been around Giacoletti, he is enthusiastic and sincere in his praise for WSU, so I dont think he is guilty of much more than bad timing and (monumentally) poorly chosen words.

To put the Jan. 7 game in context, his Drake team lost to WSU 66-58 and then lost to Illinois State, which was without two starters, 81-45, a week later. It is easy to see why the Redbirds made an impression.

From WSUs perspective, he was too impressed.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...#storylink=cpy
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 26th, 2015, 5:25 pm

uniftw wrote:FWIW, UNI lead that game for 20:20 second and it was tied for 5:36

I saw a good amount of the game. From my knothole, the Birds lost the game, due some really dumb play.

a. One player could hardly hit the rim and just kept on shooting. I believe he was 4/16.

b. The same player in (a) above took the last shot.

c. For some inexplicable reason, the Birds did not think it was necessary to guard the 3 ball shooters in their left defensive corner. Bohanan and the guy, who hit the game winner, had an easy ride in the corner. It was sorta like a shoot around.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bmarq04 » January 26th, 2015, 5:35 pm

JFC!!!

I am an ISUr fan and am disappointed that we gave away the game after being up 12 halfway thru the second half. No excuse no matter who you're playing. DM is still in his 3rd year and is still learning. I still give him time. He needs to teach the guys to finish games like this. They're still kids and don't know what it takes to finish off a top 20 opponent on their own. If he can't get that done, he'll never get over the hump. He is getting talented players who play hard and are showing some improvements, but just as their execution is on them, his execution is on him.

To the ISUr posters bitching and moaning about IQ and who is classless - STFU!!!

As I read thru these pages on this thread I didn't look at names of posters but couldn't believe how many whiny bitch posts I saw. We lost. The other team(s) might throw that in our face. Even though we didn't wear short pants yesterday and participate in the contest in question, being a fan of a losing team, you'll get those comments. Learn to deal with them and respond appropriately. Trying to fight like hell on the small, irrevalent details makes you look like a bitter POS.

You say "every fan base has them" when referring to WSU, UNI, etc - and every fan base does - but right now, you're being "them" for us. I know you're better than that. Put the loss behind you and bring your A game back to the board please.
Bmarq04
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball