#12 Wichita State @ #18 Northern Iowa, 3 PM Saturday, ESPN2

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: #12 Wichita State @ #18 Northern Iowa, 3 PM Saturday, ES

Postby 2livewu » January 31st, 2015, 9:46 am

valleychamp wrote:If you want to measure dicks and talk smack about conference placing, then go talk smack to some other school that hasnt measured up. UNI has had a whining program for a decade plus, and has 5 NCAA appearances during that time.

A wichita fan digging thru 15 years of league standings to prove some sort of point (?) directed toward UNI is weird and insecure.

Fixed.

Cry me a river. The truth hurt didn't it? It was a UNI fan that questioned it, I just set you straight.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleychamp » January 31st, 2015, 9:55 am

No. It doesn't hurt. Which is what my whole point was.

You sure are clearly hot and bothered by the mere notion of UNI being good, though.

Better pull out that media guide and pwn me again, old man!
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockem » January 31st, 2015, 9:59 am

Coaching changes causes cycles, it doesn't just happen naturally. The Shox will stay on top so long as Marshall is around. We had a dip in the couple years during the coaching change from Turgeon to Marshall, so I would expect a couple year dropoff again if he were to leave and we hire another good coach. The difference between WSU and many of the other programs is that we have the resources to find and keep the best coaches.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SHOXMVC » January 31st, 2015, 10:16 am

COUTEAU wrote:Seems that moving to the top of The MVC, is mostly cyclical. (exception may only be DRAKE)
It's SHOX turn to be relevant. In a season or two, they'll be just another school, in the middle of the pack, again.

http://www.bbstate.com/conferences/VALLEY/standingshist

The SHOX will continue to be "relevant" as long as Marshall is in town, and the cycle will continue. When he leaves, my guess is there will be a long line of quality candidates to keep the "relevant" train going. Maybe we won't win the conference every year, but don't look towards the the "middle of the pack" to find us.
SHOXMVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby COUTEAU » January 31st, 2015, 10:25 am

SHOXMVC wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:Seems that moving to the top of The MVC, is mostly cyclical. (exception may only be DRAKE)
It's SHOX turn to be relevant. In a season or two, they'll be just another school, in the middle of the pack, again.

The SHOX will continue to be "relevant" as long as Marshall is in town, and the cycle will continue. When he leaves, my guess is there will be a long line of quality candidates to keep the "relevant" train going. Maybe we won't win the conference every year, but don't look towards the the "middle of the pack" to find us.

You're right, my bad.
It was a lot easier to find SHOX's place in the standing from 1989-2002, to start at the bottom and work upwards.
Like I said...cyclical.
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ShoxNAwe » January 31st, 2015, 10:26 am

Dino Gauido on ESPNU just called this game "the biggest in MVC history." Really?

What about #9 WSU hosting #1 Cincinnati, the two-time defending national champion?

Maybe he was just talking about the "ESPN Era of College Basketball".
Last edited by ShoxNAwe on January 31st, 2015, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Championz » January 31st, 2015, 10:37 am

valleychamp wrote:If you want to measure dicks and talk smack about conference placing, then go talk smack to some other school that hasnt measured up. UNI has had a winning program for a decade plus, and has 5 NCAA appearances during that time.

A wichita fan digging thru 15 years of league standings to prove some sort of point (?) directed toward UNI is weird and insecure.

You seem honestly like the insecure one. A UNI fan stated that he didn't like how some WSU fans were brash on message boards. I simply stated that WSU fans have had room to talk, unlike some other fanbases (namely Illinois State). 2livewu simply backed up that point. Obviously, you got offended for some reason?

This thread has been pretty calm and collected, with lots of posters respecting each other and the opposing schools. Then, you jumped in with a very insecure response that pretty much added nothing of value to the discussion.

WSU has been the Class of the Valley. UNI has a very good program. Simple as that. Does that offend you?
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » January 31st, 2015, 10:39 am

COUTEAU wrote:
SHOXMVC wrote:

You're right, my bad.
It was a lot easier to find SHOX's place in the standing from 1989-2002, to start at the bottom and work upwards.
Like I said...cyclical.

Hmm. I don't think programs that are good for decades are considered "cyclical". I can see several schools that got hot for a year or two and then faded back to obscurity. That would be cyclical. WSU has been at the top or pretty close to the top for the better part of the last decade now. That's not cyclical.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockem » January 31st, 2015, 10:50 am

the 1990's are what WSU fans refer to as "the dark days". We had lost Eddie Fogler, had a string of bad hires, crumbling facilities and support was starting to fade. This period was an anomoly in the history of WSU and will not be replicated. Our AD at the time, Jim Schaus, is the guy responsible for righting the ship and our support base contiunes to pump money into the program to retain coaches and continue to improve the facilties and resources for the athletic department. I just don't see WSU ever going through another decade of mid to lower conference finishes.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 31st, 2015, 10:55 am

I think there might be a second exception in those standings...One team has one first place finish (sandwiched between two bottom half seasons) and two 4th place finishes...
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball