#12 Wichita State @ #18 Northern Iowa, 3 PM Saturday, ESPN2

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: #12 Wichita State @ #18 Northern Iowa, 3 PM Saturday, ES

Postby Wufan » January 31st, 2015, 11:13 am

shockem wrote:the 1990's are what WSU fans refer to as "the dark days". We had lost Eddie Fogler, had a string of bad hires, crumbling facilities and support was starting to fade. This period was an anomoly in the history of WSU and will not be replicated. Our AD at the time, Jim Schaus, is the guy responsible for righting the ship and our support base contiunes to pump money into the program to retain coaches and continue to improve the facilties and resources for the athletic department. I just don't see WSU ever going through another decade of mid to lower conference finishes.

From the early 1950s to the mid-1960s WSU was a very good team in the best conference in the land. Several MVC teams won or competed in the finals of the NCAA or NIT tournament during that era (Cincinnati and Bradley had many great teams). During the Dave Stallworth period the Shockers were a dominant team. This era of Shocker basketball was coached by hall of famer Ralph Miller.

From 66-79 the Shockers were very mediocre. WSU was coached by Gary Thompson and Harry Miller.

From 1980-89 WSU was again a very good team year in and year out and without a losing record in any season. Coaches were Gene Smithson and Eddie Fogler.

The 1990s, the dark era, began with Mike Cohen for 3 years followed by Scott Thompson for 3 more. We had zero winning seasons. The last four years of the decade were highlighted by Randy Smithson coaching his first two teams to winning records (14-13 and 16-15) followed by two loosing seasons.

From 2000 forward has been well chronicled with the only losing seasons being Turgeon's first and Marshall's first.

For whatever reason (coaching), WSU has gone on longer cycles of winning (and loosing) then other teams in the league excluding UNI (who hasn't finished in the bottom half of the league in 12 years, but were not a good team in the 90s).

What does this all mean? I don't know. Have the games started yet?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby COUTEAU » January 31st, 2015, 11:17 am

Wufan wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:Seems that moving to the top of The MVC, is mostly cyclical. (exception may only be DRAKE)
It's SHOX turn to be relevant. In a season or two, they'll be just another school, in the middle of the pack, again.

http://www.bbstate.com/conferences/VALLEY/standingshist

I think there might be a second exception in those standings...One team has one first place finish (sandwiched between two bottom half seasons) and two 4th place finishes...

I'm sure that was meant as some kind of insult towards The University of Evansville.
Fact is, UE has been a member of The MVC for only 20 years. Drake, a founding member of The Missouri Valley, has been in the conference for over 100.
Over the next 80 years, you can compare The ACES cycles to Drake's.
Last edited by COUTEAU on January 31st, 2015, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby unipanther99 » January 31st, 2015, 11:20 am

ShoxNAwe wrote:Dino Gauido on ESPNU just called this game "the biggest in MVC history." Really?

What about #9 WSU hosting #1 Cincinnati, the two-time defending national champion?

Maybe he was just talking about the "ESPN Era of College Basketball".

I would have hated to have been the guy with the pole to push the ball out of the peach basket for that one.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby COUTEAU » January 31st, 2015, 11:23 am

unipanther99 wrote:
ShoxNAwe wrote:Dino Gauido on ESPNU just called this game "the biggest in MVC history." Really?

What about #9 WSU hosting #1 Cincinnati, the two-time defending national champion?

Maybe he was just talking about the "ESPN Era of College Basketball".

I would have hated to have been the guy with the pole to push the ball out of the peach basket for that one.

peach basket.... :Cheers:
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby rlh04d » January 31st, 2015, 11:24 am

Well it took a while but the thread finally started getting more hostile ;)

All I care about is UNI is doing exactly what I want from other Valley teams: they're scheduling strong, they're winning a high number of their games, they're bringing respect to the conference, they're keeping their coach, they're playing gritty, tough defense, etc.

If UNI can perform at a high level consistently, I'll be a big UNI fan. I will cheer for any Valley team that makes this conference better.

Hell, I'm even starting to cheer for Illinois State a bit, despite their fans.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 31st, 2015, 11:28 am

COUTEAU wrote:
Wufan wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:Seems that moving to the top of The MVC, is mostly cyclical. (exception may only be DRAKE)
It's SHOX turn to be relevant. In a season or two, they'll be just another school, in the middle of the pack, again.

http://www.bbstate.com/conferences/VALLEY/standingshist

I think there might be a second exception in those standings...One team has one first place finish (sandwiched between two bottom half seasons) and two 4th place finishes...

I'm sure that was meant as some kind of insult towards The University of Evansville.
Fact is, UE has been a member of The MVC for only 20 years. Drake, a founding member of The Missouri Valley, has been in the conference for over 100.
Over the next 80 years, you can compare The ACES cycles to Drakes.

It wasn't an insult. I was just pointing it out since it seemed a bit ironic that an Aces fan would call out Drake for their inability to "cyclically" be relevant in the MVC. Certainly Drake has finished lower than Evansville many more times over the past 20 years, but both teams have one first place finish and zero second or third place finishes. Both teams have one NCAA appearance and zero wins. Since you mentioned the last 100 years, from 1969 to 1971, Drake was a dominant force in the college basketball landscape, having three elite 8s and one final four. Evansville also has a strong basketball tradition if you go back before they were in the MVC.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby COUTEAU » January 31st, 2015, 11:37 am

The reason I mentioned or even posted Drake, is because they are The Missouri Valley Conference.
They have been there from day one.
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvcfan » January 31st, 2015, 11:55 am

shockem wrote:the 1990's are what WSU fans refer to as "the dark days". We had lost Eddie Fogler, had a string of bad hires, crumbling facilities and support was starting to fade. This period was an anomoly in the history of WSU and will not be replicated. Our AD at the time, Jim Schaus, is the guy responsible for righting the ship and our support base contiunes to pump money into the program to retain coaches and continue to improve the facilties and resources for the athletic department. I just don't see WSU ever going through another decade of mid to lower conference finishes.

Even in the dark days of the 90's, there was a group of supporters who wanted to pump money into basketball. They raised a lot of big money and offered Jim Valvano more than 400,000 dollars to come to coach the Shockers. Valvano did show interest but then backed off. $400 + K was a lot of money for a coach in 1993. WSU couldn't keep an A.D. or fix the problem until Jim Schaus was hired.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 31st, 2015, 1:14 pm

rlh04d wrote:Well it took a while but the thread finally started getting more hostile ;)

All I care about is UNI is doing exactly what I want from other Valley teams: they're scheduling strong, they're winning a high number of their games, they're bringing respect to the conference, they're keeping their coach, they're playing gritty, tough defense, etc.

If UNI can perform at a high level consistently, I'll be a big UNI fan. I will cheer for any Valley team that makes this conference better.

Hell, I'm even starting to cheer for Illinois State a bit, despite their fans.

:+1:
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » January 31st, 2015, 1:22 pm

No Higgins, he's in Ames today.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball