1st MVC Coach to Get Shitcanned

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 1st MVC Coach to Get Shitcanned

Postby rlh04d » March 14th, 2015, 1:02 pm

Wufan wrote:
I view this as a fairly weak argument and I'm not even sure what your argument is; that Lansing is a bad coach and bad for the Sycamore's? I think that the argument is that Lansing has done things for Indiana State that previous coaches did not do and that he does them with strong return on investment that you are unlikely to see on his pay scale.

Statman has an insane, irrational hatred of Lansing, and it's been the subject of nearly every post I've seen from him on here.

His argument is always that Lansing is terrible, in the face of all blatant evidence to the contrary.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rlh04d » March 14th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Rambler63 wrote:
Statman wrote:As far as the "economics" of ISU Basketball, do you recall the massive collapse of the American financial markets & restructuring? Strangely, this parallels the #'s you present.

No it doesn't. The implosion of the financial markets happened on September 15, 2008. There was some weakness in the housing market and growing mortgage defaults for about 18 months leading up to it, but the actual bottom fell out on that date. That is when the unemployment rate began skyrocketing. If anything, the several years of very low consumer confidence that followed should have driven the attendance numbers downward rather than up after that.

:+1:

For a guy who calls himself "Statman," he doesn't really seem to understand numbers.

The 2008 season ended before the financial "collapse," which means there was only one true negative attendance growth following that, and then five consecutive seasons WELL above the pre-collapse attendance numbers.

If anything, if Statman wants to argue for the importance of the financial collapse, quasi-recession, unemployment figures, poor consumer confidence, etc., then he's actually arguing that what Lansing has done is even MORE impressive, considering he started at ISU within the post-collapse downturn, making his attendance figures even more impressive.

I will give him that Kevin McKenna deserves part of the credit for ISU's turnaround, though. Although it's funny that he clearly likes McKenna, with his sub .500 record at ISU, over Lansing.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » March 14th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Oliver Purnell out at DePaul.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Statman » March 14th, 2015, 3:53 pm

rlh04d wrote:
Wufan wrote:
I view this as a fairly weak argument and I'm not even sure what your argument is; that Lansing is a bad coach and bad for the Sycamore's? I think that the argument is that Lansing has done things for Indiana State that previous coaches did not do and that he does them with strong return on investment that you are unlikely to see on his pay scale.

Statman has an insane, irrational hatred of Lansing, and it's been the subject of nearly every post I've seen from him on here.

His argument is always that Lansing is terrible, in the face of all blatant evidence to the contrary.

What was the score of that Loyola game in St. Louis again? Sadly, it wasn't the final score, but the half-assed effort by players & coaches. Worst performance in years by an ISU men's hoop squad. Ya, pass it off as an aberration...that's YOUR problem. If Lansing's such a "blue ribbon" coach, why is he still in Terre Haute?

As far as the economic recovery, do think this was overcome by 2010? My proposition re: ISU hoop game attendance growth is attached to 2 factors, both GREATER than Lansing: 1) gradual economic recovery 2) ISU enrollment growth.
Statman
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » March 14th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Statman wrote:
rlh04d wrote:
Wufan wrote:

What was the score of that Loyola game in St. Louis again? Sadly, it wasn't the final score, but the half-assed effort by players & coaches. Worst performance in years by an ISU men's hoop squad. Ya, pass it off as an aberration...that's YOUR problem. If Lansing's such a "blue ribbon" coach, why is he still in Terre Haute?

As far as the economic recovery, do think this was overcome by 2010? My proposition re: ISU hoop game attendance growth is attached to 2 factors, both GREATER than Lansing: 1) gradual economic recovery 2) ISU enrollment growth.

So if McKenna had stayed ISU would have had better attendance and results?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 14th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Statman wrote:What was the score of that Loyola game in St. Louis again? Sadly, it wasn't the final score, but the half-assed effort by players & coaches. Worst performance in years by an ISU men's hoop squad. Ya, pass it off as an aberration...that's YOUR problem. If Lansing's such a "blue ribbon" coach, why is he still in Terre Haute?

Your proposition re: ISU hoop game attendance growth is that you don't know when the economic collapse happened. You look ridiculous arguing that the reason attendance went from less than 4300 in 2008 (unemployment rate: ~4.5%) to 5600 in 2011 (unemployment rate: ~9.1%) is because of an economic collapse in between those years. Just admit you made a mistake and deal with it. Admitting to a mistake doesn't make you look bad; refusing to admit to it, and doubling down on a ridiculous argument based on it, does.

Lansing's not a "blue ribbon" coach at all. I just don't think your school can do any better. Your school is never going to have a "blue ribbon" coach at $200k/year and barely above 50% attendance. You would understand my point if you tried reading what I said rather than just making assumptions and rambling off of them like a fool. I'm not going to repeat myself just because you're too lazy to read before arguing. Go back, read what I said, and try again.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 15th, 2015, 3:36 pm

Statman wrote:

Postby rlh04d » March 11th, 2015, 4:53 pm
Also, anyone that wants to judge Lansing as being anything other than a major success at ISU should look at these numbers:

Average ISUb attendance:
5,946 (2014)
5,726 (2013)
5,433 (2012)
5,602 (2011)
--Lansing's Arrival--
4,807 (2010)
4,009 (2009)
4,289 (2008)
4,328 (2007)
4,278 (2006)
3,781 (2005)

Average attendance under Lansing: 5676.75. Average attendance in the six years prior to Lansing: 4248.67. He's averaged an increase of nearly 1500 fans a game since taking over.

Indiana State basketball revenue has responded accordingly:
$2,082,617 (2014)
$1,445,143 (2010)

I wonder how many other coaches in the Valley have overseen an increase in basketball-related revenue damn near twice their own salary?

Wasn't 2010 the last season of Kevin McKenna prior to his return to the benck as Dana Altman's led assistant? Frankly, it was McKenna who righted the sails and set ISU on a positive nautical course, NOT Lansing.

As far as the "economics" of ISU Basketball, do you recall the massive collapse of the American financial markets & restructuring? Strangely, this parallels the #'s you present. Not unusual, given the blue collar nature of the Terre Haute economy. A 2nd major factor in the HC attendance increase is ISU enrollment, which has jumped 25%+ since 2010. The new student group, "The Forest," has almost 500 members, and has undoubtedly impacted the increase. In a nutshell, your "fiscal figures" re misleading.

Did you attend ALL of the ISU games @ home this season? What % of season ticket holders generally failed to fill the lower bowl, yet accounted for final #'s? What about the two (2) top MVC opponets, UNI & Wichita State, who were filling the stands at all other MVC venues. UNI was lucky to attract 5,000 & the Shox just barely topped 6,000. You actually think that this reflects a Lansing "deity image" in Terre Haute?

Since you touched the issue of "finance,"I was curious why First Financial Bank in TH withdrew their Hulman Center logos this season? Haven't First Financial & the Hulman Family had close ties since Hulman Center opened in '73? You don't see this estranged relationship as hampering the flow of ISU progress, athletically?

As a program, Lansing has reached his crossroads @ ISU. The talk on the ISU message board is for no less than three (3) schollies going down the tubes in the near future as he frantically attempts to plug the holes in his sinking "motion offense" concept ship. The loss to Loyola was the WORST -ever in MVC Arch Madness history, and Lansing teams in the past few years have simply failed to get better and SUCK terribly when it matters most, not the type of tradition that Indiana historically cuddles up to during the Spring :Violin: .

Bradley, Loyola, Illinois State, Drake, etc.. were all less than 60% (and in some cases WAY UNDER) capacity for UNI.

I believe WSU was the only capacity crowd, or even close, that UNI played in front of this season
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » March 15th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Now that it's official the Bears aren't in a postseason tourney, we should see an announcement tomorrow on Lusk being let go :D .
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbird Recon » March 15th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Hearing Geno should be gone within the week
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » March 15th, 2015, 9:07 pm

Redbird Recon wrote:Hearing Geno should be gone within the week

They need to hire Anthony Grant from Bama.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball