1st MVC Coach to Get Shitcanned

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 1st MVC Coach to Get Shitcanned

Postby Drakey » March 7th, 2015, 9:48 am

Most of these long term extensions are ridiculous. Other than Marshall and Jacobsen nobody in this league should be working with any more than a couple years. People act like Basketball coaches are a rare commodity. Coaches with a proven record of long term success at a Valley school are a rare commodity, but most of these coaches could be replaced by any number of willing assistants around the country with no significant change in results.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Statman » March 7th, 2015, 4:57 pm

ISU A.D. Ron Prettyman gave Lansing a 5-yr. extension going into his 4th season...talk about insecurity. Of course at that time, Lansing was surfing a "high wave" among Sycamore fans, so the "politically correct" thing to do by RP was to symbolically jump on the bandwagon. We pulled a "Mickey" on the MVC in '11, getting the auto-bid. Since then, Lansing has teetered in a watered-down N.I.T. twice (2) and those S.H.I.T. pay-to play tourneys twice (2). Hot damn... :dance:
Statman
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Play Angry » March 9th, 2015, 7:02 pm

If the axe is going to drop on Geno, it should happen in the next few days, si?

And have UE fans pretty much resigned themselves to another year of Marty at this point? Seems like everyone acknowledges he is meh but nobody actually believes he'll be let go.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » March 9th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Statman wrote:ISU A.D. Ron Prettyman gave Lansing a 5-yr. extension going into his 4th season...talk about insecurity. Of course at that time, Lansing was surfing a "high wave" among Sycamore fans, so the "politically correct" thing to do by RP was to symbolically jump on the bandwagon. We pulled a "Mickey" on the MVC in '11, getting the auto-bid. Since then, Lansing has teetered in a watered-down N.I.T. twice (2) and those S.H.I.T. pay-to play tourneys twice (2). Hot damn... :dance:

Indiana State has either the smallest revenue in the Valley or the second smallest. I'm not quite sure where Loyola factors in, but I'd assume they're the only team worse. And then the gap from Indiana State to the next nearest team is pretty damn big. ISU pays Lansing barely more than Wichita State pays its assistant coaches.

In what universe can fans of a team with likely the 9th most revenue in the 10/11th best conference in the country expect better than Lansing is providing?

Lansing doing better than .500 with the program he has to deal with is outstanding success. By no rational assumption should Indiana State be in the top half of this conference, which it has consistently been under him. He has the highest win % of any ISUb coach since the 70s.

You say two NIT appearances and two smaller tournament appearances like it's a bad thing. Indiana State had under a 37% win % with just one postseason tourney (one season over .500!) in the DECADE prior to Lansing. Four consecutive tournament appearances is damn near a miracle at that school. Not only should Lansing have a contract for life, but you should build him a damn statue. Probably out of scrap metal since that's likely the only thing Indiana State can afford.

If any Indiana State fan is doing anything but worshiping what Lansing has accomplished there you have no rational expectations for your program.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUShock » March 10th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Statman wrote:ISU A.D. Ron Prettyman gave Lansing a 5-yr. extension going into his 4th season...talk about insecurity. Of course at that time, Lansing was surfing a "high wave" among Sycamore fans, so the "politically correct" thing to do by RP was to symbolically jump on the bandwagon. We pulled a "Mickey" on the MVC in '11, getting the auto-bid. Since then, Lansing has teetered in a watered-down N.I.T. twice (2) and those S.H.I.T. pay-to play tourneys twice (2). Hot damn... :dance:
For crying out loud, Lansing had to crowd source team uniforms. Sheer madness!

Go Valley!

Go Shocks!!
DUShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » March 10th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Drakey wrote:Most of these long term extensions are ridiculous. Other than Marshall and Jacobsen nobody in this league should be working with any more than a couple years. People act like Basketball coaches are a rare commodity. Coaches with a proven record of long term success at a Valley school are a rare commodity, but most of these coaches could be replaced by any number of willing assistants around the country with no significant change in results.

I agree with this but I would not put Muller and Lansing in the category of being able to be replaced by any number of assistants. The other 6 MVC coaches I agree would be easily replaced. Probably to the betterment of their teams in some instances.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby FearDaTrees » March 10th, 2015, 2:56 pm

rlh04d wrote:

Indiana State has either the smallest revenue in the Valley or the second smallest. I'm not quite sure where Loyola factors in, but I'd assume they're the only team worse. And then the gap from Indiana State to the next nearest team is pretty damn big. ISU pays Lansing barely more than Wichita State pays its assistant coaches.

In what universe can fans of a team with likely the 9th most revenue in the 10/11th best conference in the country expect better than Lansing is providing?

Lansing doing better than .500 with the program he has to deal with is outstanding success. By no rational assumption should Indiana State be in the top half of this conference, which it has consistently been under him. He has the highest win % of any ISUb coach since the 70s.

You say two NIT appearances and two smaller tournament appearances like it's a bad thing. Indiana State had under a 37% win % with just one postseason tourney (one season over .500!) in the DECADE prior to Lansing. Four consecutive tournament appearances is damn near a miracle at that school. Not only should Lansing have a contract for life, but you should build him a damn statue. Probably out of scrap metal since that's likely the only thing Indiana State can afford.

If any Indiana State fan is doing anything but worshiping what Lansing has accomplished there you have no rational expectations for your program.

I cant believe I am saying this, but you are 100% correct. Greg Lansing is the only reason this basketball team has been relevant in the Valley for the past few seasons. He has done a tremendous job with a university that struggled for years to even make it to Friday of the tourney. As for DUShock, how many times are you gonna bring up the crowd funded jerseys thing? Have you even taken the time to read into the story? The jersey "issue" was brought up by posters on the Sycamore board and was funded that way. The university never once asked for crowd funding as it was the fans idea in the first place. In the past few years ISU has upgraded the baseball field (which held the MVC tourney last year), currently building a new track and field facility and talks of upgrading the Hulman Center are already in motion. For a school that is 9th in the conference in athletic budgeting, I think we are doing just fine. Jackass.
FearDaTrees
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BradleyFan71 » March 11th, 2015, 9:03 am

Play Angry wrote:If the axe is going to drop on Geno, it should happen in the next few days, si?

I seriously doubt it.
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Play Angry » March 11th, 2015, 9:19 am

BradleyFan71 wrote:
Play Angry wrote:If the axe is going to drop on Geno, it should happen in the next few days, si?

I seriously doubt it.

You doubt that he will be getting fired at all? Or just that it happens this week?
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bufan42 » March 11th, 2015, 11:34 am

Play Angry wrote:
BradleyFan71 wrote:

I seriously doubt it.

You doubt that he will be getting fired at all? Or just that it happens this week?

The funniest / saddest thing about this whole ordeal is with the last 3 coaches..

Jim Molinari should have never been fired, other than a small but loud collection of angry fans bi*ching and moaning he was doing a nice job. YET he was fired right after the mvc tourney

There could at least be an argument that Jim Les get another year with Taylor Brown and Sam Maniscalco back from injuries and Remy Abel coming in. YET he was fired right after the mvc tourney

There is NO CASE at all to keep Geno yet he is still with the team. (yes i get it our upper admin is in shambles AND geno is owed a lot of money, but based soley on performance this should be as easy a fire as can be)

:Beer:
bufan42
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball