1st MVC Coach to Get Shitcanned

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 1st MVC Coach to Get Shitcanned

Postby squirrel » March 11th, 2015, 12:38 pm

bufan42 wrote:

The funniest / saddest thing about this whole ordeal is with the last 3 coaches..

Jim Molinari should have never been fired, other than a small but loud collection of angry fans bi*ching and moaning, he was doing a nice job. YET he was fired right after the mvc tourney

Fixed that for you. Changes everything!

The current situation at Bradley is that there is no administration. The BOT is going to leave the fire/hire decision on the incoming AD. The current timeline to get an offer out to a new AD is on or around April 1, which gives the new AD (if they accept) less than a week to make a decision if they want to have interviews at the Final Four. But some are panicking about that being a hard deadline-while it is an ideal timeline, it's not a hard and fast one. Keep in mind-many schools interview at the Final Four, which means a lot of schools are still making changes after the Final Four. There were at least a half dozen upper mid-majors and BCS programs that made changes in late April or May last year.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rlh04d » March 11th, 2015, 4:32 pm

FearDaTrees wrote:I cant believe I am saying this, but you are 100% correct. Greg Lansing is the only reason this basketball team has been relevant in the Valley for the past few seasons. He has done a tremendous job with a university that struggled for years to even make it to Friday of the tourney.

We can agree ;) This is one of the things that really frustrates me with sports fans. Everyone thinks their team has to win it all or the coach is failing.

Bradley is one of the few Valley programs that should be having a fit about the state of their program/failure of their coach right now. With the resources Bradley has at its disposal, they should be able to compete at the top of the conference. The only thing that keeps me from fully believing Bradley fans should expect a lot more is that Bradley fans aren't supporting the program any more. Which is somewhat understandable, but still. Bradley's revenue is regularly around twice that of every non-WSU/UNI Valley program, and for a team with that much money to be so bad is absolutely ridiculous.

Guys like Lansing and Simmons are far and away providing better results on the court than what their salaries and the expenditures of their program would predict they would. In no realistic fashion should either of those teams be in the top half of the Valley. The fact that they are just shows how badly much of the rest of the conference is failing.

This isn't the NFL. Our teams aren't on a level playing field. You aren't two or three good draft picks from making a playoff run thanks to a salary cap. If you want your teams to succeed at the highest level, start mobilizing your own fan bases and providing your programs with the support they need to succeed at that level. Whether anyone dislikes WSU or not, no one can deny that WSU's attendance even in the 90s was impressive, and the financial resources WSU fans provide the program with are vital to creating the program's current success.

Building a consistent, strong, winning program is a long process, and coaches that aren't spectacular but can provide stability and minor to occasionally significant successes while rebuilding the health of the program are vital.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 11th, 2015, 4:53 pm

Also, anyone that wants to judge Lansing as being anything other than a major success at ISU should look at these numbers:

Average ISUb attendance:
5,946 (2014)
5,726 (2013)
5,433 (2012)
5,602 (2011)
--Lansing's Arrival--
4,807 (2010)
4,009 (2009)
4,289 (2008)
4,328 (2007)
4,278 (2006)
3,781 (2005)

Average attendance under Lansing: 5676.75. Average attendance in the six years prior to Lansing: 4248.67. He's averaged an increase of nearly 1500 fans a game since taking over.

Indiana State basketball revenue has responded accordingly:
$2,082,617 (2014)
$1,445,143 (2010)

I wonder how many other coaches in the Valley have overseen an increase in basketball-related revenue damn near twice their own salary?

Building a winning program from nothing is a long process. These are the things you want to see in establishing a real program that can win in the future. Indiana State is not nearly there yet ... but they're moving forward. How many other Valley teams can say that? WSU, UNI, and Illinois State?
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUShock » March 12th, 2015, 6:00 am

FearDaTrees wrote:As for DUShock, how many times are you gonna bring up the crowd funded jerseys thing? Have you even taken the time to read into the story? The jersey "issue" was brought up by posters on the Sycamore board and was funded that way. The university never once asked for crowd funding as it was the fans idea in the first place. In the past few years ISU has upgraded the baseball field (which held the MVC tourney last year), currently building a new track and field facility and talks of upgrading the Hulman Center are already in motion. For a school that is 9th in the conference in athletic budgeting, I think we are doing just fine. Jackass.

Sorry to cause you to invoke such a response. Thanks for the backstory on the uniforms, without the backstory, it seems like a lack of commitment from the university to the program. My recollection was that it was HCGL making a plea/request for donations for new uni's; if this isn't the case, my apologies.

Go Valley!

Go Shocks!!
DUShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Play Angry » March 12th, 2015, 8:26 am

DUShock wrote:
FearDaTrees wrote:As for DUShock, how many times are you gonna bring up the crowd funded jerseys thing? Have you even taken the time to read into the story? The jersey "issue" was brought up by posters on the Sycamore board and was funded that way. The university never once asked for crowd funding as it was the fans idea in the first place. In the past few years ISU has upgraded the baseball field (which held the MVC tourney last year), currently building a new track and field facility and talks of upgrading the Hulman Center are already in motion. For a school that is 9th in the conference in athletic budgeting, I think we are doing just fine. Jackass.

Sorry to cause you to invoke such a response. Thanks for the backstory on the uniforms, without the backstory, it seems like a lack of commitment from the university to the program. My recollection was that it was HCGL making a plea/request for donations for new uni's; if this isn't the case, my apologies.

Go Valley!

Go Shocks!!

Lansing was asked how fans could help the program via crowdfunding a specific project, and he responded that he'd wanted to buy a new set but at $3,000 per set it was too expensive at the time.

FearDaTrees overreacted to your post in typical fashion. I wouldn't worry about it, he's universally acknowledged as an imbecile on here.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » March 12th, 2015, 8:26 am

DUShock wrote:

Go Valley!

Go Shocks!!

Lansing was asked how fans could help the program via crowdfunding a specific project, and he responded that he'd wanted to buy new jerseys but at $3,000 per set they were too expensive at the time.

FearDaTrees overreacted to your post in typical fashion. I wouldn't worry about it, he's universally acknowledged as an imbecile on here.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Statman » March 14th, 2015, 6:29 am

Also, anyone that wants to judge Lansing as being anything other than a major success at ISU should look at these numbers:

Average ISUb attendance:
5,946 (2014)
5,726 (2013)
5,433 (2012)
5,602 (2011)
--Lansing's Arrival--
4,807 (2010)
4,009 (2009)
4,289 (2008)
4,328 (2007)
4,278 (2006)
3,781 (2005)

Average attendance under Lansing: 5676.75. Average attendance in the six years prior to Lansing: 4248.67. He's averaged an increase of nearly 1500 fans a game since taking over.

$2,082,617 (2014)
$1,445,143 (2010)

I wonder how many other coaches in the Valley have overseen an increase in basketball-related revenue damn near twice their own salary?

Wasn't 2010 the last season of Kevin McKenna prior to his return to the benck as Dana Altman's led assistant? Frankly, it was McKenna who righted the sails and set ISU on a positive nautical course, NOT Lansing.

As far as the "economics" of ISU Basketball, do you recall the massive collapse of the American financial markets & restructuring? Strangely, this parallels the #'s you present. Not unusual, given the blue collar nature of the Terre Haute economy. A 2nd major factor in the HC attendance increase is ISU enrollment, which has jumped 25%+ since 2010. The new student group, "The Forest," has almost 500 members, and has undoubtedly impacted the increase. In a nutshell, your "fiscal figures" re misleading.

Did you attend ALL of the ISU games @ home this season? What % of season ticket holders generally failed to fill the lower bowl, yet accounted for final #'s? What about the two (2) top MVC opponets, UNI & Wichita State, who were filling the stands at all other MVC venues. UNI was lucky to attract 5,000 & the Shox just barely topped 6,000. You actually think that this reflects a Lansing "deity image" in Terre Haute?

Since you touched the issue of "finance,"I was curious why First Financial Bank in TH withdrew their Hulman Center logos this season? Haven't First Financial & the Hulman Family had close ties since Hulman Center opened in '73? You don't see this estranged relationship as hampering the flow of ISU progress, athletically?

As a program, Lansing has reached his crossroads @ ISU. The talk on the ISU message board is for no less than three (3) schollies going down the tubes in the near future as he frantically attempts to plug the holes in his sinking "motion offense" concept ship. The loss to Loyola was the WORST -ever in MVC Arch Madness history, and Lansing teams in the past few years have simply failed to get better and SUCK terribly when it matters most, not the type of tradition that Indiana historically cuddles up to during the Spring :Violin: .
Statman
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Rambler63 » March 14th, 2015, 10:40 am

Statman wrote:As far as the "economics" of ISU Basketball, do you recall the massive collapse of the American financial markets & restructuring? Strangely, this parallels the #'s you present.

No it doesn't. The implosion of the financial markets happened on September 15, 2008. There was some weakness in the housing market and growing mortgage defaults for about 18 months leading up to it, but the actual bottom fell out on that date. That is when the unemployment rate began skyrocketing. If anything, the several years of very low consumer confidence that followed should have driven the attendance numbers downward rather than up after that.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » March 14th, 2015, 11:05 am

Statman wrote:

Average ISUb attendance:
5,946 (2014)
5,726 (2013)
5,433 (2012)
5,602 (2011)
--Lansing's Arrival--
4,807 (2010)
4,009 (2009)
4,289 (2008)
4,328 (2007)
4,278 (2006)
3,781 (2005)

$2,082,617 (2014)
$1,445,143 (2010)

Wasn't 2010 the last season of Kevin McKenna prior to his return to the benck as Dana Altman's led assistant? Frankly, it was McKenna who righted the sails and set ISU on a positive nautical course, NOT Lansing.

As far as the "economics" of ISU Basketball, do you recall the massive collapse of the American financial markets & restructuring? Strangely, this parallels the #'s you present. Not unusual, given the blue collar nature of the Terre Haute economy. A 2nd major factor in the HC attendance increase is ISU enrollment, which has jumped 25%+ since 2010. The new student group, "The Forest," has almost 500 members, and has undoubtedly impacted the increase. In a nutshell, your "fiscal figures" re misleading.

Did you attend ALL of the ISU games @ home this season? What % of season ticket holders generally failed to fill the lower bowl, yet accounted for final #'s? What about the two (2) top MVC opponets, UNI & Wichita State, who were filling the stands at all other MVC venues. UNI was lucky to attract 5,000 & the Shox just barely topped 6,000. You actually think that this reflects a Lansing "deity image" in Terre Haute?

Since you touched the issue of "finance,"I was curious why First Financial Bank in TH withdrew their Hulman Center logos this season? Haven't First Financial & the Hulman Family had close ties since Hulman Center opened in '73? You don't see this estranged relationship as hampering the flow of ISU progress, athletically?

As a program, Lansing has reached his crossroads @ ISU. The talk on the ISU message board is for no less than three (3) schollies going down the tubes in the near future as he frantically attempts to plug the holes in his sinking "motion offense" concept ship. The loss to Loyola was the WORST -ever in MVC Arch Madness history, and Lansing teams in the past few years have simply failed to get better and SUCK terribly when it matters most, not the type of tradition that Indiana historically cuddles up to during the Spring :Violin: .

I view this as a fairly weak argument and I'm not even sure what your argument is; that Lansing is a bad coach and bad for the Sycamore's? I think that the argument is that Lansing has done things for Indiana State that previous coaches did not do and that he does them with strong return on investment that you are unlikely to see on his pay scale.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IndyTreeFan » March 14th, 2015, 12:59 pm

How the hell did this become an argument about Greg Lansing? Seriously, in the "1st MVC Coach to get Shitcanned" thread? Statman, dude, give it a rest. We get it, you don't like Lansing. He's not getting fired, nor does he deserve to get fired. He's a solid coach, for the love of God. Yeah, his resistance to ever changing anything is maddening at times, but you are what your record says you are, and his record says he's a winner.

Not many coaches at ISU can make that claim. So, until he starts losing on a regular basis, he's our guy.

Geez, some ISU fans aren't happy unless they're pissed off... :Violin:
IndyTreeFan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball