MVC players moving on

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC players moving on

Postby uniftw » April 1st, 2015, 11:51 am

Play Angry wrote:Not trying to kick SIU fans while they are down at all, but could one of you chime in with an update re: what is going to happen? Barry can barely fill out a starting lineup with what he has returning at this point.

Is he going to survive the offseason?

Coupled with the rumored $44m cut to SIU-Carbondale's budget things are looking bad.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mikovio » April 1st, 2015, 12:06 pm

Here are the tweets from a local TV cameraman and BU student which are causing the speculation:

Aaron Ferguson retweeted
Bradley Scout Sports @ScoutSportsDesk · 27m 27 minutes ago
(2/2) Coach Wardle is meeting w/ players today then heading to Indy. Also said not to expect anything, if there is anything, until next week

Aaron Ferguson @Sports_Aaron · 36m 36 minutes ago
@RyanSPierson Expected to leave. Nothing official, of course. But the 5 players mentioned earlier is what I have been told.

Aaron Ferguson @Sports_Aaron · 2h 2 hours ago
As of now, Kendahl Amerson, Tramique Sutherland, Xzavier Taylor and Nate Wells have all been granted their release.

Aaron Ferguson @Sports_Aaron · 2h 2 hours ago
Bradley coach Brian Wardle has been meeting one-on-one with his team. He is expected to release these players from their scholarships.

Aaron Ferguson @Sports_Aaron · 3h 3 hours ago
With that being said, Josh Cunningham is expected to transfer from Bradley.

Aaron Ferguson @Sports_Aaron · 3h 3 hours ago
Sources: Mike Shaw, Warren Jones, Ka'Darryl Bell, Omari Grier and Jackson Kane are the only players expected to return to Bradley.

It sounds like we can bank on Amerson, Sutherland, Taylor and Wells leaving, and Shaw, Jones, Bell and Grier staying, with the rest apparently leaning toward going but not yet having asked for their releases.

The only players I care much about are Cunningham and Thomas. Two freshmen with a bright future. I'm disappointed to see XT go although he had some bad habits that just never seemed to improve. Maybe it was coaching though so I would have liked to have seen what Wardle and his staff could do with him.

Wardle does have 3 Green Bay recruits that he might be able to re route to Peoria, and it sounds like we'll need all 3. There's also a 5th year senior center from Michigan (Max Bielfeldt) who might transfer to be closer to home. But any more releases will lead to some serious roster dead weight.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » April 1st, 2015, 12:12 pm

Mikovio wrote:Wardle does have 3 Green Bay recruits that he might be able to re route to Peoria, and it sounds like we'll need all 3.

I hope that doesn't happen.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » April 1st, 2015, 12:26 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Mikovio wrote:Wardle does have 3 Green Bay recruits that he might be able to re route to Peoria, and it sounds like we'll need all 3.

Agreed. You're better off being awful for a year or two rather than tying up scholarships for 4 or 5 years with Horizon league guys. Get some walk-ons and a JUCO or two and do the rebuild right.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » April 1st, 2015, 12:41 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Agreed. You're better off being awful for a year or two rather than tying up scholarships for 4 or 5 years with Horizon league guys. Get some walk-ons and a JUCO or two and do the rebuild right.

There may be nothing wrong with the guys he recruited. I just don't like coaches recruiting while on salary at one school, using their resources, and then taking the recruits with them when they change jobs.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » April 1st, 2015, 1:16 pm

I don't disagree with you guys in principal, but keep in mind we had 8 junior class members this year. Between this year if some transfer out (graduated or not), we aren't likely to have a lack of scholarships available over the next 2 years.

2016 should be a particularly talented class in Illinois. But you also don't want to be saddled with trying to fill 6 or more in a given year, either.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » April 1st, 2015, 1:34 pm

Nick Irvin confirmed it via Dave Reynolds on Twitter. X and Josh are transferring. "They just want a fresh start"
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » April 1st, 2015, 2:02 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Well..to be fair, two Horizon League guys Wardle recruited (one he had and one he didn't get) would be really good players in the MVC (Kiefer Sykes and Alec Peters at Valpo).
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 1st, 2015, 2:03 pm

I think Bradley will return three scholarship players off the current team. Of course, when you finish last does it matter?

SIU and Bradley could combine current rosters and still finish last.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 1st, 2015, 2:10 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:I think Bradley will return three scholarship players off the current team. Of course, when you finish last does it matter?

SIU and Bradley could combine current rosters and still finish last.
Will they be able to fill a roster with the two of them combined?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball