MVC players moving on

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC players moving on

Postby tribecalledquest » April 1st, 2015, 3:35 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Cdizzle..

So if they decide they don't want to play at UWGB under a completely new coaching staff you feel they should not go to Bradley under any circumstances?

I feel like you shouldn't be able to follow the coach without sitting out a year. The coach recruited you while an employee of the first institution, and used their money to visit you, fly you in, etc. The NCAA used to allow institutions to let commits out of their LOIs with restrictions. I'm not sure they still do that.

So, my opinion, is that if one of those players wanted to go to Bradley that would be fine, but he should have to transfer and sit out a year.

Does this punish the kids too much? Maybe. But it's not like there wouldn't be other options.

Ok. I disagree with your view 100%. That's ok. I was just trying to clarify your stance.

I personally feel kids should NEVER have to sit out a year if they want to transfer. Coaches don't have to do it. Regular students don't have to do it. Heck, they don't have to do it in 90% of the other intercollegiate sports. That's a different discussion though.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » April 1st, 2015, 3:38 pm

Cdizzle wrote:

So if they decide they don't want to play at UWGB under a completely new coaching staff you feel they should not go to Bradley under any circumstances?

I feel like you shouldn't be able to follow the coach without sitting out a year. The coach recruited you while an employee of the first institution, and used their money to visit you, fly you in, etc. The NCAA used to allow institutions to let commits out of their LOIs with restrictions. I'm not sure they still do that.

So, my opinion, is that if one of those players wanted to go to Bradley that would be fine, but he should have to transfer and sit out a year.

Does this punish the kids too much? Maybe. But it's not like there wouldn't be other options.

The kid wasn't truly committing to the institution as much as the coach, and the ideas the coach(s) sold them on.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » April 1st, 2015, 3:43 pm

uniftw wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

The kid wasn't truly committing to the institution as much as the coach, and the ideas the coach(s) sold them on.

I agree with your sentiment that this is what DOES happen today. The way I want it to work doesn't mesh very well with the current reality. But then I wish players played for their schools, not just their coaches. And I wish they bought into a school when deciding to be a student-athlete there. So it goes.

I don't think an athlete should be forced to stick to a decision when a major factor like a coaching change has occurred. But I don't think the coach should just get to do whatever he wants either. Making a kid stay at UWGB when he doesn't want to be there doesn't help anyone. Allowing said athlete to transfer anywhere, with the knowledge that if he transferred to Bradley he would have to sit out a year doesn't sound overly punitive to the athlete.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » April 2nd, 2015, 1:22 pm

The final day's tally:

Released:
Josh Cunningham
Tramique Sutherland
Xzavier Taylor
Jermaine Morgan
Kendahl Amerson
Nate Wells.

Roster is left with:
Ka'Darryl Bell
Anthony Fields
Omari Grier
Warren Jones
Mike Shaw
Donte Thomas
Jackson Kane

And we could easily see more.

The bad news is Bradley lost nearly half of last year's roster in a day.
The good news is Bradley lost nearly half of last year's roster in a day.

Also there have been more rumblings of Bielfeldt transferring here for a 5th year. He averaged 5.1/3.6 for Michigan last year, but played better down the stretch (7.8/4.9 in his last 8 games, and 9.3/5.3 in his last 3). That would be a big upgrade from Morgan/Taylor/Wells and at least make the team more watchable next year.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby stl scooter » April 9th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Taylor Stafford of UE is transferring. His spot on the depth chart will be taken by incoming freshman Harris Brown (3rd in Indiana Mr. Basketball voting 2015).
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » April 9th, 2015, 4:57 pm

Taylor was a JUCO AA. Too bad he didn't work out.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » April 9th, 2015, 9:24 pm

WSU is still looking at losing 2 players off the current roster.

Toward the end of the season, the end of the bench seemed to be Tevin Glass (6'8", 200 PF - Jr Juco), Corey Henderson (6'3" Fr - expected to be the backup PG by mid-season - showed no PG skills), and Ri'an Holland (6'0" athletic RS Fr SG who couldn't adapt to D1 PG in 2 years).

Even with 2 guys leaving, Conner Frankamp (HS top-40 guard trfr from Kansas) is a walk-on eligible at semester break. The recruiting situation leads to some speculation that Frankamp might pay his own way in 2016-17.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird Recon » April 9th, 2015, 10:31 pm

What would in-state tuition be at WSU?
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » April 10th, 2015, 5:07 am

Aargh wrote:WSU is still looking at losing 2 players off the current roster.

Toward the end of the season, the end of the bench seemed to be Tevin Glass (6'8", 200 PF - Jr Juco), Corey Henderson (6'3" Fr - expected to be the backup PG by mid-season - showed no PG skills), and Ri'an Holland (6'0" athletic RS Fr SG who couldn't adapt to D1 PG in 2 years).

Even with 2 guys leaving, Conner Frankamp (HS top-40 guard trfr from Kansas) is a walk-on eligible at semester break. The recruiting situation leads to some speculation that Frankamp might pay his own way in 2016-17.

While my understanding is that Nurger is still a high priority to the staff, he too was buried on the bench at the end of the season.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » April 10th, 2015, 5:09 am

Redbird Recon wrote:What would in-state tuition be at WSU?

Tuition and fees is just shy of $7K per year.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball