Birds to NIT

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Birds to NIT

Postby Play Angry » March 24th, 2015, 12:41 pm

jwa123 wrote:Play angry, I don't always agree with you but on this you are right on target. Last nights game was just another example of what has been a common theme all season. As I posted earlier, there are good Redbirds and there are bad Redbirds and we never know which one of the two teams is going to show up. I don't know if this is due to the youth of the team or what but whatever the reason is they don't play mentally tough or angry, if you will, game in and game out.

As for new pieces to the puzzle for next year, I'm not sure. Four new freshman are coming in including a 7 footer who is as thin as a rail post. Another in-coming player is sort of like MiKyle McIntosh but more skilled but has been inconsistent his senior year. It seems some games he wants to play and others he seems to be disinterested. When he comes to play he is dominate in one of the tougher western suburb conferences of Chicago. I will hold my breath on him but he could be a stud in the MVC if he puts his mind to it. There is an incoming freshman shooting guard who some think is the real deal and others say he is coming as a package deal with the 7 footer. The other incoming freshman player is a point guard who seems to be highly regarded.

Rumors are at least one and maybe more will be leaving at the end of the semester. Must be some truth to it as the coaching staff is out recruiting 2015 high school players and there are no current open roster spots.

I know there are a lot of folks around these parts who express displeasure with Dan Muller but he has raised the talent level while here. He and his staff seem to be capable recruiters. The other thing he has done has raised the level of non-conference opponents as opposed to what Jank did. There was a time when folks grumbled about scheduling of Valley teams and the Redbirds in particular with the cupcake schedules that Jank put together. If not mistaken, I think ISUr had the toughest non-conference schedule in the league this past season based upon RPI.

Finally, congratulations to WSU for making the sweet sixteen. Here is hoping another trip to the final 4 for you and your brethren.

Thank you for the rundown- that was exactly the kind of summary I was hoping for.

You make an excellent point about scheduling. I am not wild about Muller, but I am very thankful he has the huevos to give his team a chance at an at-large with the schedule he puts in front of them. Next season is the year you guys certainly could break through and receive a bid, and it is nice knowing you have a coach who will give you the opportunity to do so without having to run the table in the OOC.

Some (cough, cough, Marty) should take notes.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jwa123 » March 24th, 2015, 2:12 pm

Play Angry,

I forgot one and that being Nick Banyard. He is a transfer from New Mexico who was on the team this year but had to sit out the season for playing in games due to the transfer rule. Not sure how good he will be as his results at New Mexico were not all that enthralling. On the other hand, we are hopeful here in central Illinois. He is either 6'8" or 6'9" and HCM said he is the most athletic player on the roster. We have all seen how athletic Purcell is and if Banyard is even more so then we hope he will be a very nice addition next season.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby rlh04d » March 24th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Play Angry wrote:You got me, I really flew off the handle in this thread.

Please calm down. This anger is making the children cry.

:cry:
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball