How far will WSU go?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

How far will WSU go in the NCAA tournament?

Upset in the first round
14%
Round of 32
26%
Sweet Sixteen
26%
Elite Eight
28%
Final Four
4%
Championship Game
2%

Total votes : 50

Re: How far will WSU go?

Postby mathewson10 » March 18th, 2015, 2:50 pm

According to some on this message board last summer, Nick Zeisloft is a demi-god that ISUr let slip away. So WSU better watchout!!

Joking aside I definitely think WSU has a chance to beat Kansas.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ricardo del Rio » March 18th, 2015, 2:55 pm

mathewson10 wrote:
Wufan wrote:
ollienanyes wrote:WSU is a bit down from where they were in the last 3 years or so; not so impressive away from home.

Really? Yes, we're 28-4. Last year we were 34-0 at this time and finished 35-1. We did not replicate that. Two years ago we were 26-8 going into the tourney and finished 30-9. Three years ago we were 27-4 and finished 27-5. It's easy to look back fondly, but regardless of where this team ends the year, they are every bit as good as the last three.

I disagree. I think last year's Shockers would destroy this year's Shockers. Last year they were blowing people out left & right. This year they let teams hang around too much. I felt like they lacked the intensity from the previous season.

I agree with Matt.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » March 18th, 2015, 4:44 pm

mathewson10 wrote:
Wufan wrote:
ollienanyes wrote:WSU is a bit down from where they were in the last 3 years or so; not so impressive away from home.

Really? Yes, we're 28-4. Last year we were 34-0 at this time and finished 35-1. We did not replicate that. Two years ago we were 26-8 going into the tourney and finished 30-9. Three years ago we were 27-4 and finished 27-5. It's easy to look back fondly, but regardless of where this team ends the year, they are every bit as good as the last three.

I disagree. I think last year's Shockers would destroy this year's Shockers. Last year they were blowing people out left & right. This year they let teams hang around too much. I felt like they lacked the intensity from the previous season.

2013-14 Shocker margin of victory was 15.6 in wins (15.5 overall).
2014-15 Shocker margin of victory was 13.7 in wins (12.8 overall).
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby GarH » March 18th, 2015, 5:39 pm

I actually feel sorry for 23. Such a sad pathetic fan. Think how horrible it would be, to be that miserable.
GarH
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby rlh04d » March 18th, 2015, 6:01 pm

Wufan wrote:[

:+1:

Beat me to it.

The NCAA tournament is a weird animal, and unless you're in the 1-16 game, no victory is guaranteed.

WSU can lose to Indiana if Indiana gets hot enough. It's entirely possibly. They have one of the ten best offenses in college basketball and are entirely capable of beating us.

They also have one of the worst defenses in college basketball, and in both defensive efficiency and KenPom's defensive efficiency, only one team D1 team WSU has played all year has been worse. In the first, Detroit is ranked two spots below them. In the second, Drake is by far WSU's worst opponent. So if both teams play their normal games, WSU is easily the better team. Meanwhile WSU would have the best defense in the Big 10 and the fourth best offense.

Kansas is underachieving but still one of the ten best teams in college basketball. They're entirely capable of beating us. We're also entirely capable of beating them.

Notre Dame is just a better version of Indiana. Great offense, mediocre defense.

If we beat Kentucky, like Wufan said, they're making a movie about us. I can't imagine how we can win that game given our struggles against big men and how many incredibly tall and long players they can roll out, one after another. But anything's possible.

I've got them going to the Elite 8 in my bracket, but who knows. I also have UNI in the Elite 8, and I think they have a far better shot at the Final Four, but they could also just as easily lose the first game.

I gave up on having any ability to predict these games after WSU lost to VCU in the first game with a tremendous team and then went to the Final Four with a worse team the very next year. Lot of unpredictability and randomness in the tourney. That's why all of our brackets will be crap by Sunday night.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » March 18th, 2015, 9:48 pm

mathewson10 wrote:I disagree. I think last year's Shockers would destroy this year's Shockers. Last year they were blowing people out left & right. This year they let teams hang around too much. I felt like they lacked the intensity from the previous season.

#28-4 problems
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mathewson10 » March 20th, 2015, 6:56 am

rlh04d wrote:
Wufan wrote:[

:+1:

Beat me to it.

The NCAA tournament is a weird animal, and unless you're in the 1-16 game, no victory is guaranteed.

WSU can lose to Indiana if Indiana gets hot enough. It's entirely possibly. They have one of the ten best offenses in college basketball and are entirely capable of beating us.

They also have one of the worst defenses in college basketball, and in both defensive efficiency and KenPom's defensive efficiency, only one team D1 team WSU has played all year has been worse. In the first, Detroit is ranked two spots below them. In the second, Drake is by far WSU's worst opponent. So if both teams play their normal games, WSU is easily the better team. Meanwhile WSU would have the best defense in the Big 10 and the fourth best offense.

Kansas is underachieving but still one of the ten best teams in college basketball. They're entirely capable of beating us. We're also entirely capable of beating them.

Notre Dame is just a better version of Indiana. Great offense, mediocre defense.

If we beat Kentucky, like Wufan said, they're making a movie about us. I can't imagine how we can win that game given our struggles against big men and how many incredibly tall and long players they can roll out, one after another. But anything's possible.

I've got them going to the Elite 8 in my bracket, but who knows. I also have UNI in the Elite 8, and I think they have a far better shot at the Final Four, but they could also just as easily lose the first game.

I gave up on having any ability to predict these games after WSU lost to VCU in the first game with a tremendous team and then went to the Final Four with a worse team the very next year. Lot of unpredictability and randomness in the tourney. That's why all of our brackets will be crap by Sunday night.

Your stat proves my point. Last year's team would go into halftime already having won the game. This year's team went into halftime with only a single digit lead or actually losing at half then in the 2nd half they would turn it up to get the victory.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mathewson10 » March 20th, 2015, 7:02 am

Also, last year's team would not to have lost to this year's ISUr in STL.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Championz » March 20th, 2015, 10:43 am

Last year's team trailed at the half plenty of times and also had a lot of single-digit halftime leads.

I'm certainly not saying this year's team is better than last year's team but check yourself with the facts first.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby NeutralObserver » March 20th, 2015, 11:16 am

Surely to God the Shockers will beat Indiana..................won't they? It will set the Valley back another two or three years if they don't get the job done.
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball