Tourney Talk-Friday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Tourney Talk-Friday

Postby rlh04d » March 20th, 2015, 3:54 pm

isumvc1 wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:
isumvc1 wrote:how much $ is each NCAA unit worth this year? I am guessing over $250,000?

I thought it was over $1 million per share, divided out among the conference.

nah, each "unit" is in the neighborhood of $250,000, I don't know if it's more or less?? Now if you're referring to the 4 year rolling time period, then yes, over one million dollars is correct.

Each unit is paid out over 4 years right?

Last year the MVC earned 2 units from WSU, the year before (with the WSU final 4 run and Creighton's unit, what'd we get, like 6 units??)

Not sure how much we got in 2012, 2011 was just one from the Sycamores.

According to Forbes, each individual unit is $260,525, and this quote explains it better than I can:

From 2012 through next year, the value of a basketball unit has risen by anywhere between 1.1% to 4.2% year-over-year, with the average growth at 2.1%. Assuming that average rate continues for the immediate future, a basketball unit will be worth $2.89 million in 2020, the final season in which units won at this year’s tournament will pay out. And across those six seasons a single unit will have paid out a total $1.65 million.

Basically you're both right. A unit is worth $260.5, but a single NCAA tournament game pays a single unit for six consecutive years, so $1.65 million over the length of it.

So WSU and UNI have thus far earned the Valley $6.6 million over the next six years, by my understanding. I also believe WSU and UNI have now combined to earn the Valley the same amount of units that the Valley got for WSU's Final Four run. Getting multiple teams in is SO important.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rlh04d » March 20th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Also, FVV is probably the best on-ball defender in the Valley. And that's an incredible thing to say over Cotton.

The difference in Yogi's play from Cotton on defense to FVV was night and day.

I've very rarely seen one player absolutely take over a game on both offense and defense the way FVV did. And VERY rarely someone of Fred's height.

I'm really interested to see what Fred's minutes ended up being. Considering how often people have downplayed his potential for the NBA on his athleticism, he played one of the highest tempo games WSU has ever played, barely ever sat down, nearly scored 30 points, and nearly shut down one of the most athletic guards in the country, staying on his hip the entire game, step for step.

*Edit: 37 minutes. Damn.
Last edited by rlh04d on March 20th, 2015, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » March 20th, 2015, 4:01 pm

I thought each unit was paid for 4 years, 6 years is even better!

Keep winning Shox and Panthers!! #MVC
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » March 20th, 2015, 4:07 pm

I feel good about our chances Sunday after watching a good part of this Louisville/UC Irvine game.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » March 20th, 2015, 4:12 pm

Kyle wrote:I feel good about our chances Sunday after watching a good part of this Louisville/UC Irvine game.

That size of UCI makes me nervous though. 7'4 and 7'2?? That's crazy. Singleton did a great job on a much more athletic Larry Nance Jr today but he only gave up 2-3 inches to him.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » March 20th, 2015, 4:14 pm

go UC Irvine!!! Wow they're freaking HUGE!
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » March 20th, 2015, 4:15 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
Kyle wrote:I feel good about our chances Sunday after watching a good part of this Louisville/UC Irvine game.

That size of UCI makes me nervous though. 7'4 and 7'2?? That's crazy. Singleton did a great job on a much more athletic Larry Nance Jr today but he only gave up 2-3 inches to him.

But their speed and footwork are terrible.

Tuttle will have a heyday in the open court and our pack line defense won't allow the guard penetration you've been watching during this game.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby isumvc1 » March 20th, 2015, 4:21 pm

crap, Louisville wins
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » March 20th, 2015, 4:24 pm

Kyle wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:

But their speed and footwork are terrible.

Tuttle will have a heyday in the open court and our pack line defense won't allow the guard penetration you've been watching during this game.

True, but when both teams play that "poorly" I'll take the ones without two 7 foot monsters
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockalot » March 20th, 2015, 6:29 pm

Congratulations to UNI on a very well played game and great win. I believe UNI is better than Louisville, they just need to believe it too and they will win.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball