UAB to the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UAB to the MVC?

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 25th, 2015, 1:28 pm

Yup, just making sure we're on board for the right reasons. Part of me might be nervous that a lot of their success came as they drafted off of the overall success of CUSA, back when CUSA meant a lot more in the national landscape.

I do think UAB would appreciate being in a conference with just 2 or 3 dead weights in the RPI instead of 8 or 10 :twisted:
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » March 25th, 2015, 1:38 pm

squirrel wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:
I'm sure hoping people aren't on the UAB bandwagon just because of a win over Iowa St. The fact they got a 14 seed out of CUSA is kind of damning, given that CUSA had UTEP/LaTech/ODU all tracking towards the 12 line. UAB is historically pretty good within CUSA, at least, and they do usually schedule up, so I think they help the conference overall.

The big question: will they help this league get an additional at-large bid?

No. It's a bandwagon because they are consistently pretty good. 5 NCAAs (including a Sweet 16) and 4 NITs over the past 13 years. As you say they generally schedule up, and it will be easier to schedule up in the Valley as opposed to CUSA or A-Sun. It also makes our end of the MVC-MWC more enticing for public interest, TV, the Mountain West, etc.

This.

It's exactly why I wouldn't mind looking at NMSU or Tulsa...but neither will happen because of football.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » March 25th, 2015, 1:39 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:Yup, just making sure we're on board for the right reasons. Part of me might be nervous that a lot of their success came as they drafted off of the overall success of CUSA, back when CUSA meant a lot more in the national landscape.

I do think UAB would appreciate being in a conference with just 2 or 3 dead weights in the RPI instead of 8 or 10 :twisted:

Bradley will rise like a Phoenix from the ashes and that will be excellent for The Valley.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby squirrel » March 25th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Also, UAB just locked in Haase through 2021 to the tune of $1M/year before incentives.
http://www.myfoxal.com/story/28614144/u ... erod-haase

His total compensation this year will be $625K.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » March 25th, 2015, 2:02 pm

squirrel wrote:Also, UAB just locked in Haase through 2021 to the tune of $1M/year before incentives.

Exhibit A of what can happen when you drop a worthless football program.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » March 25th, 2015, 2:50 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
squirrel wrote:Also, UAB just locked in Haase through 2021 to the tune of $1M/year before incentives.

Do you know for a fact or are you surmising?
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » March 25th, 2015, 3:20 pm

jwa123 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Do you know for a fact or are you surmising?

I know that UAB had a worthless football program that was losing them money.
I know that UAB shut down their worthless money-sucking football program this year.
I know that they nearly doubled the salary of their basketball coach this year.
I know that they announced renovations to their basketball facilities, and the addition of a basketball practice facility.

So, I guess I surmised, but I would say I considered some facts first.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » March 25th, 2015, 3:30 pm

Well OK - but as I see it you are looking at a certain few things in isolation and trying to connect the dots. You may very well be correct but to paraphrase Paul Harvey, there could be more to the rest of the story. As you surmise, I will surmise that there is more to this story than just stating the football program is gone. To WSU's credit it has worked very well that way but I think the UAB situation is so recent and is currently fluid to draw any hard conclusions with no more information we have at hand.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » March 25th, 2015, 3:31 pm

jwa123 wrote:Well OK - but as I see it you are looking at a certain few things in isolation and trying to connect the dots. You may very well be correct but to paraphrase Paul Harvey, there could be more to the rest of the story. As you surmise, I will surmise that there is more to this story than just stating the football program is gone. To WSU's credit it has worked very well that way but I think the UAB situation is so recent and is currently fluid to draw any hard conclusions with no more information we have at hand.

They were broke and going broker.

They got rid of the expense that made them broke.

They had money to spend on other stuff.

Not exactly like I took a lot of detours in my line-drawing.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » March 25th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Whatever you say.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball