UAB to the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UAB to the MVC?

Postby rlh04d » March 25th, 2015, 3:49 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Never say never, but I don't see the AAC adding a nonfootball school for 2 main reasons:

1) the members that were formally in the Big East experienced first hand what can happen when you mix both football and nonfootball schools. They essentially lost their conference due to the whole football experiment. It seems unlikely that they will willingly go down that road again unless the point comes when they have no choice. UConn and Cincy fans are already wondering if they made a tragic mistake in playing the football gambit. UCOnns boards are littered with threads about how basketball recruiting has taken a hit since joining the AAC.

2) Some of the southern schools simply don't care about basketball - they are all football all the time. That is primarily the reason their RPIs are so miserable. If you don't care, you don't invest because you think the money is either wasted or better spent elsewhere. If you don't beleive in basketball, you won't be in favor of adding a basketball only school.

1) Not sure what that really has to do with basketball only schools. The football issue was that there was clearly upward mobility for teams with football success, and those schools were focused on upward mobility. That's not the case with basketball only schools. If there was no upward mobility for the former Big East schools, then the Big East is a rousing success and Creighton is still in the Valley. It was only the desire and opportunity for schools with football to upgrade their conference affiliation, over and over again, that caused problems.

2) The only relevant issue is money. Will adding a basketball only school increase the revenue of the current schools, through a renegotiated TV contract, increased attendance, or increased NCAA tournament shares? If so, it doesn't matter whether UCF "believes in basketball," they believe in money. If not, then it won't happen. Schools that believe in basketball aren't going to agree to decrease their per-school revenue, and schools that don't believe in basketball aren't going to reject an opportunity to increase their per-school revenue.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rlh04d » March 25th, 2015, 3:51 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:Football might not stand in the way of them if push comes to shove. Because they are dying a slow, painful death in the WAC right now. NMSU/UAB would be a heck of a package deal in terms of on-court performance, but, man, that travel.

A NMSU/UAB package deal is something I would absolutely support WSU staying in the Valley for. Improved basketball product and something that could be used to negotiate TV revenue.

Travel for the bus-schools would be very costly, though.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » March 25th, 2015, 5:13 pm

BCPanther wrote:I like UNI, NDSU, and WSU to the Mountain West together.

Gets that league to 14 football member and 14 All sports members. Really evens things up for them.

Split Divisions East-West for Football and continue to play 18 basketball games. No division split for basketball

East
UNI
NDSU
UNLV
Colorado State
Air Force
Wyoming
New Mexico

West
Boise State
San Diego State
Utah State
Hawaii//WSU for basketball
San Jose State
Fresno State
Nevada

Makes WAY too much sense and would be one hell of a basketball league and definitely be the top Group of Five football league.

That's a hell of a lot of jet fuel. I think we've moved past the days of pinching every little penny, but I don't think UNI could financially justify a move like this unless it included significant TV revenue. There isn't a single bus trip on that list and football requires a big plane.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby UABlazin » March 25th, 2015, 6:00 pm

rlh04d wrote:
squirrel wrote:Also, UAB just locked in Haase through 2021 to the tune of $1M/year before incentives.
http://www.myfoxal.com/story/28614144/u ... erod-haase

His total compensation this year will be $625K.

That's interesting. I was under the impression he was holding out to see if UAB had a long-term plan for their conference affiliation.

Sounds like he's comfortable they'll be in CUSA or a similar/better conference when it's all settled.

Haase also mentioned an increased travel budget. I don't think it's a coincidence that a MVC link was leaked a few days ago. The administration has probably had serious conversations with several conferences.
UABlazin
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby HiddenDragon » March 30th, 2015, 5:14 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
squirrel wrote:Also, UAB just locked in Haase through 2021 to the tune of $1M/year before incentives.
http://www.myfoxal.com/story/28614144/u ... erod-haase

His total compensation this year will be $625K.

Exhibit A of what can happen when you drop a worthless football program.

Not quite true. Our football program was worthless (as you put it) because those in charge in Tuscaloosa wanted it to be worthless. That said, because of the struggles of the football program, it has prevented the basketball program from reaching its full potential. We were once in a league with Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Marquette, St. Louis, SMU, and DePaul. Now we've been regulated to Sun Belt status which I am sure Gene Bartow (the founder of UAB Athletics) did not want to happen to his jewel.

I was at UAB very first ball game in 78. I saw UAB beat UK with Sam Bowie to reach its first Sweet 16 in 81; beat Virginia with Ralph Sampson in 82 to reach the Elite 8. I want that type of success brought back to UAB and would love to see the Blazers in a better basketball conference.
HiddenDragon
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Wufan » May 1st, 2015, 5:10 am

CUSA won't change bylaws for UAB. They will no longer be in the conference if they don't reinstate football for 2016.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 1st, 2015, 7:53 am

Hypothetical for the non football schools.

UAB wants in but wants to start FCS football back up and join the MVFC. Is that a deal-breaker?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UABlazin » May 1st, 2015, 8:46 am

Even if basketball joins the MVC, the admin would look to place FCS football in a more regional league.
UABlazin
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby unipanther99 » May 1st, 2015, 8:49 am

UABlazin wrote:Even if basketball joins the MVC, the admin would look to place FCS football in a more regional league.

Is non-scholarship FCS an option? (Like Drake)

Travel expenses would be huge, but you would more than make up for it without scholarships to pay.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby UABlazin » May 1st, 2015, 8:52 am

The President never even considered FCS so I doubt it would be a possibility. The Trustees seem to be against UAB having D1 football of any kind.
UABlazin
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball