UAB to the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UAB to the MVC?

Postby uniftw » May 20th, 2015, 1:50 pm

unipanther99 wrote:I think most here think UAB would be a fine addition to the conference, however I don't think they're the kind of "wow" school we need to make odd deals to get them to join. If they want in, great. If not, I think we're just fine without them.

I don't know that the MVC can get a "WOW" school - unless Dayton/SLU were pulled. What the MVC needs is 2 high quality schools that will boost RPI and add school in the at-large bubble pool that have some name recognition. UAB would be a great add in that regard.

What does worry me is the fact that it's so "cheap" to join the Sun Belt compared to the MVC, plus a more regional fit
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Drakey » May 20th, 2015, 2:36 pm

uniftw wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:I think most here think UAB would be a fine addition to the conference, however I don't think they're the kind of "wow" school we need to make odd deals to get them to join. If they want in, great. If not, I think we're just fine without them.

I don't know that the MVC can get a "WOW" school - unless Dayton/SLU were pulled. What the MVC needs is 2 high quality schools that will boost RPI and add school in the at-large bubble pool that have some name recognition. UAB would be a great add in that regard.

What does worry me is the fact that it's so "cheap" to join the Sun Belt compared to the MVC, plus a more regional fit

Cheaper? Am I not getting something?
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » May 20th, 2015, 2:40 pm

Drakey wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Cheaper? Am I not getting something?

Ah hell...misread the # of 0's. Don't have my glasses on me today.

So, I like the MVC odds then :buddies:
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 21st, 2015, 9:05 am

Looking like it's about to have the life support plug pulled..

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015 ... ll_no.html

Reading the UAB boards though, makes me wonder what the support/donors will do if/when it is completely killed. Sounds like most fans/donors will pull completely from the university
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » May 21st, 2015, 9:43 am

UABlazin wrote:I've been told the MVC and Sun Belt are the 2 primary options if football stays dead. UAB has been told the entry requirements for both leagues.

MVC:
$350,000-$400,000 and equipment upgrades necessary for quality campus telecasts.

Sun Belt:
$2,000,000

I swear to jeebus we better not have dropped football just to join the Sun Belt.

Why in the wide world of sport would the Sun Belt charge $2M? You'd think they'd be desperate to add any smidgen of quality basketball to their league.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Wufan » May 21st, 2015, 11:44 am

The newest article says decision still pending.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 21st, 2015, 12:11 pm

Wufan wrote:The newest article says decision still pending.

It's a weird situation.

If football stays cut the admin is essentially turning down 20-30 million dollars in donations. That would be a real :huh:
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » May 21st, 2015, 12:19 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
UABlazin wrote:I've been told the MVC and Sun Belt are the 2 primary options if football stays dead. UAB has been told the entry requirements for both leagues.

MVC:
$350,000-$400,000 and equipment upgrades necessary for quality campus telecasts.

Sun Belt:
$2,000,000

I swear to jeebus we better not have dropped football just to join the Sun Belt.

Why in the wide world of sport would the Sun Belt charge $2M? You'd think they'd be desperate to add any smidgen of quality basketball to their league.

Perhaps the Sun Belt realizes they would be the last resort choice when/if UAB has no where else to go.

In other words, if UAB has other choices, they will never choose the Sun Belt. So why not ream them if they end up with no other options.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » May 21st, 2015, 7:17 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Perhaps the Sun Belt realizes they would be the last resort choice when/if UAB has no where else to go.

In other words, if UAB has other choices, they will never choose the Sun Belt. So why not ream them if they end up with no other options.

I prefer the method of being friendly and welcoming to your new conference mate, instead of instantly trying to rob them of a few extra dollars. Heck, I'd be going opposite, charging nothing because that conference needs basketball pedigree, and a couple extra NCAA tourney units will make up for that 2M instantly.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » May 22nd, 2015, 7:49 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Perhaps the Sun Belt realizes they would be the last resort choice when/if UAB has no where else to go.

I prefer the method of being friendly and welcoming to your new conference mate, instead of instantly trying to rob them of a few extra dollars. Heck, I'd be going opposite, charging nothing because that conference needs basketball pedigree, and a couple extra NCAA tourney units will make up for that 2M instantly.

The SBC is still only going to be a 1 bid conference. They were something like 21st out of 32 conference last season. UAB joining isn't going to make them a 2 bid league.

CUSA was 17th.

MVC was 10th

For 1.6 million dollars less than their fee to the SBC they get into a top 10 conference (a massive jump from where they are now), will get extra shares from what they have now, and will get more exposure (assuming the MVC can get a better TV deal.).

That damn TV deal is the biggest thing holding the MVC back right now. Then again, how many people actually watched AAC games on CBSSports last year? Does someone have those numbers?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball