UAB to the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UAB to the MVC?

Postby UEACES80 » May 5th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Not debating as to whether UNI is the second best basketball program right now in the MVC but wow you would think INI is at the top of the hill like WSU is with some of this banter

Bradley, DBU, ISU(B), ISU(R), MSU, SIU, UE & WSU are curious as to how UNI's baseball team is helping the overall MVC. I believe everyone of the schools has likely had a NCAA appearance in the last 20 years.

Point is Creighton left the MVC and we are surviving fine without them - I would hope they might come back and wouldn't it be awesome if a Butler were to join at some point as well. We are in this together for many reasons and hopefully we don't try to tear each other down.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » May 5th, 2015, 2:04 pm

uniftw wrote:
Let's pretend the MVFC gives up power to the Summit but the Summit wants to keep things as is but take the MVC schools with it. That league is, minus WSU, is better than what's left in the MVC.

Your argument for how weak the league that is left would be hinges on not counting the best program left in that league? Seems pretty weak sauce.

I would love to see the MVCF break away. Good luck with that and have fun.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 5th, 2015, 2:17 pm

UEACES80 wrote:Not debating as to whether UNI is the second best basketball program right now in the MVC but wow you would think INI is at the top of the hill like WSU is with some of this banter

Bradley, DBU, ISU(B), ISU(R), MSU, SIU, UE & WSU are curious as to how UNI's baseball team is helping the overall MVC. I believe everyone of the schools has likely had a NCAA appearance in the last 20 years.

Point is Creighton left the MVC and we are surviving fine without them - I would hope they might come back and wouldn't it be awesome if a Butler were to join at some point as well. We are in this together for many reasons and hopefully we don't try to tear each other down.

What does baseball, a sport UNI doesn't have, have to do with this. Conference alignments aren't built on baseball. If the football schools leave chances are they are taking their baseball programs with them.

Yes, the MVC is surviving without Creighton but it's not thriving. Adding UAB, and keeping the schools currently here together would be a great start.

If you think the MVC would "survive" in something other than name only if it lost the football schools your nuts.

WSU does have the Final Four over UNI, no question about it. The numbers are very close outside of that over the last decade. After those two there isn't another program that's even freaking close. UNI has the longest streak of avoiding the PIG - since 02/03. How many times have Bradley or Drake avoided the PIG in consecutive years in that time? Here's a hint - UNI has been a Thursday teams less than Drake has not been a Thursday team. UNI had more NCAA wins this year than Evansville, Drake, and Loyola combined since 1972 Losing UNI and Creighton in the same 5 year span would be a big blow to overcome - especially when coupled with the loss of all of the other schools with scholarship football.

Creighton isn't coming back. The TV deal is WAY to good to leave - even if no one is watching the Big East. Same goes for Butler. You can quit dreaming about that.

You are right, though, we are all here together for the foreseeable future for a variety of reasons and we need to strengthen the conference through additions. I got my answer pretty quick if UAB having FCS football would be an issue though...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 5th, 2015, 2:20 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Let's pretend the MVFC gives up power to the Summit but the Summit wants to keep things as is but take the MVC schools with it. That league is, minus WSU, is better than what's left in the MVC.

Your argument for how weak the league that is left would be hinges on not counting the best program left in that league? Seems pretty weak sauce.

I would love to see the MVCF break away. Good luck with that and have fun.

Be honest - does this conference attract you

WSU
Drake
Bradley
Evansville
Loyola
Belmont
Valpo
ORU
UI-Chicago
Denver

I'll be honest

UNI
SIU
MSU
ISUb
ISUr
SDSU
NDSU
USD
WIU
the alphabet Indiana schools

isn't attractive to me at all and I don't want that. However, if we really want to get into splitting things up we are both looking at s*** situations.

It's why I asked if UAB bringing FCS football back would be enough to cause this type of split.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » May 5th, 2015, 2:51 pm

uniftw wrote:What does baseball, a sport UNI doesn't have, have to do with this.

Oh, the irony.

1. You lost your mind about 2 pages ago because a WSU fan wondered why we were talking about football. Apparently it's not ok that a WSU fan wouldn't want to talk about football because they don't have it, but it's totally reasonable that a UNI fan wouldn't want to talk about baseball because they don't have it.
2. The fact that UNI doesn't have baseball is kindof part of the point. They had baseball. And then they had to drop it because football was making them too poor to keep it. Exhibit A that even at the powerhouse and financial stalwart UNI, keeping FCS football literally forced them to cut a major sport.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » May 5th, 2015, 2:56 pm

TheDrake wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:When did people say "get rid of football schools"?

Seems like it was more likely someone said "some schools should get rid of football."

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4099&start=120#p88934
Drakey wrote:UAB would be a plus for the Valley as long as they DON'T have a scholarship Football program. Better yet, no football program at all. I personally would be fine with all of the Football schools leaving and being replaced with non-football schools. In the long run that is the only way to build a basketball conference above the other mid-majors. If the Valley wasn't such a hodge podge of schools they might even be able to attract the good Midwest basketball schools who are playing way out of their geographical area.

Funny thing...Drake is actually a football school and one of the 2 worst programs of the last decade. Only difference is the only one worse has shown signs of life while Drake really hasn't.

Have you no mercy? I already told you that the Drake fan base cares deeply about our non-scholarship football team so please stop hurting our feelings.

Who will you take down next, Club Lacrosse? :(

It does have that "mystique" :Beer:
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cdizzle » May 5th, 2015, 3:04 pm

DUBulldog wrote:It does have that "mystique" :Beer:

I know I almost went to Drake because of the lacrosse's team recruiting message. They were adamant that they were superior to the UNI lacrosse team.

Instead I didn't go to either of those schools because they are in Iowa and frankly, I hate corn.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 5th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
uniftw wrote:What does baseball, a sport UNI doesn't have, have to do with this.

Oh, the irony.

1. You lost your mind about 2 pages ago because a WSU fan wondered why we were talking about football. Apparently it's not ok that a WSU fan wouldn't want to talk about football because they don't have it, but it's totally reasonable that a UNI fan wouldn't want to talk about baseball because they don't have it.
2. The fact that UNI doesn't have baseball is kindof part of the point. They had baseball. And then they had to drop it because football was making them too poor to keep it. Exhibit A that even at the powerhouse and financial stalwart UNI, keeping FCS football literally forced them to cut a major sport.

Football wasn't the issue with that. It was more the previous AD not knowing how to manage a checkbook while not understanding how to get people to donate money and giving away tickets rather than selling them.

While I might have some issues with how Dannen handles himself there is a reason ticket revenue, donations, fund drives, etc... all set records every year at this point.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » May 5th, 2015, 3:14 pm

So UNI is bringing back baseball?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » May 5th, 2015, 3:24 pm

Cdizzle wrote:So UNI is bringing back baseball?

Even if the NCAA moved the season back two months, Santa Claus dropped a new stadium on campus, and Joe Torre volunteered to coach the team free of charge, I still think the answer to that question would be no.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball