UAB to the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UAB to the MVC?

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 24th, 2015, 12:20 pm

Right now the Big 12 grant of rights is holding up realignment at the major conferences, I think. It's going to be too difficult for anyone to move in the top 5 for the next decade or so.

I think UConn and Cincy are stuck in the AAC for a few years, although once 2025 hits, all bets are off.

The AAC with a western division of Wichita, Tulsa, Houston, SMU, Tulane, and Memphis isn't awful by any means, though. I trust Tulsa's program, Houston has Sampson in tow, Memphis is Memphis, and Jankovich is going to take over SMU any year now. Okay, well SMU is going to the basement fast, but everyone else is good. :D

The real question is if the AAC wants to deal with non-football members again.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 24th, 2015, 12:25 pm

rlh04d wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:Heck, Denver might be my leader in the clubhouse at the moment.

Denver was my leader over Loyola this last round. They'd still be my choice, despite their poor performance this year.

Although if Wichita ever does leave, Denver would become a massive outlier.

Denver has everything I want in a candidate except for actual on-court results, where they are a million miles behind everyone else. I still think they're a Big East team in 2050 if they can figure that part out.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 24th, 2015, 12:29 pm

HiddenDragon wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:How long is UAB being given to try and resurrect their FB program? I suspect CUSA would give them a year or so to try and figure this out first.

If it's dead, dead, dead, then I'm mostly onboard with bringing them on. The bigger issue is finding #12 to go with them, and finding the right balance of teams. I'm just not very excited about any #12 candidate. Oral Bob can financial issues I believe, and I've harped on and on about how I'm worried about how Belmont or Murray St would transition to a much higher league. Heck, Denver might be my leader in the clubhouse at the moment.

I think you're right on target with CUSA probably given us a year to see what transpires with the football program. I think within the next few months we will probably here something regarding the status of football as to whether it will be resurrected or not. Meanwhile, there are many UAB fans that love football so much that they believe the article that was written regarding the MVC interest was a carrot being dangle by Watts to divide the fanbase. It's a long story so I won't bother to go into it.

I definitely think mentioning the MVC was a calculated move. They're the one conference that represents an actual upgrade in basketball. Kind of like a consolation move, improving the basketball conference in exchange for killing football. There's no way they would mention the Sun Belt or OVC or (gulp) the A-Sun, because that'll kill basketball too.

I have to imagine that the admins want to protect the basketball program at all costs. The MVC is THE fix that exists.
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Red » March 24th, 2015, 1:38 pm

UConn fans desperately want their hoops back in the Big East. If they can place their football in a different league I wouldn't rule that possibility out.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby stl scooter » March 24th, 2015, 2:32 pm

Red wrote:UConn fans desperately want their hoops back in the Big East. If they can place their football in a different league I wouldn't rule that possibility out.

I don't think the Big East would want UCONN (state school) in a private school only conference.
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby stl scooter » March 24th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Horizon is looking to poach Murray and / or Belmont.
http://www.allkyhoops.com/2015/03/murray-state-belmont-mentioned-as.html?m=1
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby rlh04d » March 24th, 2015, 3:55 pm

MVCfans wrote:
Wufan wrote:Internet rumors heating up that the AAC is interested in WSU, though no rumors of merit have surfaced, sealed envelope or otherwise.

I don't follow realignment speculation as closely as some, but it seems to me that the obvious risk of such a move is that the AAC seems almost certain to undergo change very soon. Both UConn and Cincy want out and they are the two best basketball programs. My concern is that WSU could have buyer's remorse very quickly if that occurred. I'd rather see the MVC take a proactive approach and strengthen our league.

I can go in detail on this, but here are the four teams I could see leaving the AAC:

UConn: Will require ND as a full (-ish, with title game rights) ACC member to round out as #16. Not a candidate for SEC or B12, doesn't have AAU status for Big 10.

UCF: Possibly one of two to Big 12 if B12 has to expand to have title game.

Cinci: Possibly one of two to Big 12 if B12 has to expand to have title game.

Memphis: Possibly one of two to Big 12 if B12 has to expand to have title game.

BYU would be the other one that could very easily move to the B12 with an expansion there.

If I was in charge of the B12, I'd take BYU and one of Cinci or UCF -- but I'm not running the B12, Texas is, and they don't care about the B12. I don't ever see ND being willing to become a "full" member, but the ACC could get creative to get them there: ND is playing six ACC games this season, and I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the ACC is so desperate they'd give ND title game rights for six games.

None of UCF, Cinci, or Memphis are a candidate for any conference but the B12. Academics eliminates them from both B1G and ACC, none are good enough in football for the SEC, not to mention existing teams in FL/TN.
Last edited by rlh04d on March 24th, 2015, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 24th, 2015, 3:58 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:Right now the Big 12 grant of rights is holding up realignment at the major conferences, I think. It's going to be too difficult for anyone to move in the top 5 for the next decade or so.

The ACC now has a similar GOR.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » March 24th, 2015, 4:19 pm

rlh04d wrote:
Wufan wrote:Internet rumors heating up that the AAC is interested in WSU, though no rumors of merit have surfaced, sealed envelope or otherwise.

It's just my opinion ... but in two seasons I expect WSU to be in the AAC and UAB to be in the MVC.

I'm happy to eat crow if that's not the case. But I think WSU wants to move forward, I think the AAC now understands that they need to improve their basketball product, I think WSU is too big to not get the opportunity, and I don't think UAB has a hope at getting their football team back. I'm also not sure if Marshall will be with WSU when that happens, although I still think whether/when he leaves depends on what job opens up. And I don't think he'll leave until FVV/Baker graduate.

Just my prediction.

Why would leave the situation they are in right now? Can they be better? Even if they could be better, would they be more successful? They are Gonzaga right now. It would be foolish to change that.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » March 24th, 2015, 5:06 pm

Drakey wrote:Why would leave the situation they are in right now? Can they be better? Even if they could be better, would they be more successful? They are Gonzaga right now. It would be foolish to change that.

Being Gonzaga is a temporary situation. If Gonzaga becomes an average team for the next two to three years, does anyone care about Gonzaga anymore? A team like that can become a "remember them" situation very quickly.

I'm all for WSU leaving at the first chance they get, personally. I'd much prefer either the A10 or the MWC to the AAC, but ... I'll take all three over the Valley.

Unless the MVC can monetize WSU/UNI's success lately into an improved TV deal that's bringing in real revenue. The MVC's TV contract expires in October 2016. Add UAB and another quality program and get us $2-300k a year in TV revenue, and I'm all for WSU staying. WSU will be very good again next year. If IlSt and UNI are at-large teams as well, that could be a big negotiating point.

I don't think that fits the Valley's long-term mentality, though. The UAB discussion feels more like damage control over expecting WSU's departure, rather than a logical move to strengthen the conference.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball