UAB to the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UAB to the MVC?

Postby jwa123 » March 25th, 2015, 10:11 am

I really have concerns about Murray. What to do with their football program as there is absolutely no guarantee that the MVFC would take them on and I am sure they won't add just one to get to 11 members. Also, Murray is in the boondocks with little to no market. Perhaps I am looking at it too narrowly but at this juncture Murray does not excite me.

I understand why the fans of WSU have dissatisfaction with the MVC and would like to move. At ISUr, there is the steady drum beat to increase attendance. I am of the opinion it's hard to get folks to come to the games regularly when there is a steady number of conference foes rolling into RBA with 200+ RPIs. Now if many of the conference members had RPIs less than 100 and each year you had 3 or 4 schools with RPIs less than 50 then you have an attraction that will draw bigger crowds. So as I see it, if WSU gets an opportunity to better themselves they have to go for it even if they don't have attendance problems. As a school, who do you want to play consistently year in and year out. A steady diet of 200+ RPI schools?

In the list of schools listed above as having potential to be good I would add SIU. Yes I know Lowery torpedoed the place and Barry is doing his best to right the ship and we will have to see where that goes. However, SIU has a solid history and reputation of being an excellent bball program. I can see the day where SIU is again going to be right back. The potential is there.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » March 25th, 2015, 11:17 am

I like UNI, NDSU, and WSU to the Mountain West together.

Gets that league to 14 football member and 14 All sports members. Really evens things up for them.

Split Divisions East-West for Football and continue to play 18 basketball games. No division split for basketball

East
UNI
NDSU
UNLV
Colorado State
Air Force
Wyoming
New Mexico

West
Boise State
San Diego State
Utah State
Hawaii//WSU for basketball
San Jose State
Fresno State
Nevada

Makes WAY too much sense and would be one hell of a basketball league and definitely be the top Group of Five football league.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 25th, 2015, 11:57 am

unipanther99 wrote:I would much rather have Murray than Belmont, and would rather keep the current 10 than add even UAB. I'm still unsure of their long-term commitment to athletics. It seems like most here thought it was a bad idea a year ago when it was discussed. One round of 32 trip shouldn't change that IMO.

I think it's best for everyone to sit tight and see how football shakes out over the next 5 years. Does the current 4 tier system stay in place (Power 5, non-Power 5 FBS, FCS scholarship, FCS non-scholarship), or does it change (Revenue generating, non-revenue generating, non-scholly does whatever)? If that happens, katy-bar-the-door for realignment.

Well when realignment was discussed last year, I don't think UAB was ever on the table (because of the football thing).

I'm sure hoping people aren't on the UAB bandwagon just because of a win over Iowa St. The fact they got a 14 seed out of CUSA is kind of damning, given that CUSA had UTEP/LaTech/ODU all tracking towards the 12 line. UAB is historically pretty good within CUSA, at least, and they do usually schedule up, so I think they help the conference overall.

The big question: will they help this league get an additional at-large bid?
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby squirrel » March 25th, 2015, 1:18 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
I'm sure hoping people aren't on the UAB bandwagon just because of a win over Iowa St. The fact they got a 14 seed out of CUSA is kind of damning, given that CUSA had UTEP/LaTech/ODU all tracking towards the 12 line. UAB is historically pretty good within CUSA, at least, and they do usually schedule up, so I think they help the conference overall.

No. It's a bandwagon because they are consistently pretty good. 5 NCAAs (including a Sweet 16) and 4 NITs over the past 13 years. As you say they generally schedule up, and it will be easier to schedule up in the Valley as opposed to CUSA or A-Sun. It also makes our end of the MVC-MWC more enticing for public interest, TV, the Mountain West, etc.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 25th, 2015, 1:28 pm

Yup, just making sure we're on board for the right reasons. Part of me might be nervous that a lot of their success came as they drafted off of the overall success of CUSA, back when CUSA meant a lot more in the national landscape.

I do think UAB would appreciate being in a conference with just 2 or 3 dead weights in the RPI instead of 8 or 10 :twisted:
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » March 25th, 2015, 1:38 pm

squirrel wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:

No. It's a bandwagon because they are consistently pretty good. 5 NCAAs (including a Sweet 16) and 4 NITs over the past 13 years. As you say they generally schedule up, and it will be easier to schedule up in the Valley as opposed to CUSA or A-Sun. It also makes our end of the MVC-MWC more enticing for public interest, TV, the Mountain West, etc.

This.

It's exactly why I wouldn't mind looking at NMSU or Tulsa...but neither will happen because of football.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » March 25th, 2015, 1:39 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:Yup, just making sure we're on board for the right reasons. Part of me might be nervous that a lot of their success came as they drafted off of the overall success of CUSA, back when CUSA meant a lot more in the national landscape.

I do think UAB would appreciate being in a conference with just 2 or 3 dead weights in the RPI instead of 8 or 10 :twisted:

Bradley will rise like a Phoenix from the ashes and that will be excellent for The Valley.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby squirrel » March 25th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Also, UAB just locked in Haase through 2021 to the tune of $1M/year before incentives.
http://www.myfoxal.com/story/28614144/u ... erod-haase

His total compensation this year will be $625K.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » March 25th, 2015, 2:02 pm

squirrel wrote:Also, UAB just locked in Haase through 2021 to the tune of $1M/year before incentives.

Exhibit A of what can happen when you drop a worthless football program.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » March 25th, 2015, 2:50 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
squirrel wrote:Also, UAB just locked in Haase through 2021 to the tune of $1M/year before incentives.

Exhibit A of what can happen when you drop a worthless football program.

Do you know for a fact or are you surmising?
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball