UAB to the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UAB to the MVC?

Postby rlh04d » March 22nd, 2015, 11:42 am

When was the last time a team was added to the MVC that was out of bus distance for the majority of the conference?

MSU in 1990?
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » March 22nd, 2015, 11:45 am

jsaluki080 wrote:
Wufan wrote:
IndyTreeFan wrote:I'd love to add Belmont or Murray, but the conference really should look to add a western team to kind of pair up with Wichita. Not sure who that should be, though. I'm sure the Shocker fans have some ideas...

Yes, let's add Tulsa!

Actually, UAB would become the geographic outlier being so far south. Belmont makes some sense.

I agree, I'm not a huge fan of UAB being in the MVC; region doesn't quit fit.
I like the idea of Tulsa. Weren't they part of the MVC before?
but ... I don't like 11 as a # for our conference :) Either Murray st or Belmont (may even SLU) would be a good 12th member.

Just my worthless thoughts though :D

Tulsa was a very good program in the MVC for many, many years.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 22nd, 2015, 12:25 pm

Wufan wrote:Tulsa was a very good program in the MVC for many, many years.

Tulsa's a pipe dream. That's an impossible add.

1. The AAC's TV contract isn't huge, but they're not going to give up that TV contract for a conference with no TV revenue.
2. They have a football program, and they're not going to be in the AAC without their basketball program. That would mean a massive step down in football conference affiliation.
3. The AAC's basketball conference is still significantly better than the MVC, which would mean a step down in RPI opponents and NCAA tournament shares.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » March 22nd, 2015, 12:43 pm

BCPanther wrote:11 is doable.

Just go to two single plays. The double round robin is great and full of tradition, but it's also an RPI killer.

I'd love to only have to play Bradley or SIU once instead of twice.

With an unbalanced schedule, SOMEBODY is going to get cheated out of a home game against a top team, and SOMEBODY is going to have to face the worst team twice. Take a look at how it works in the Mountain West, for instance. A lot of teams had to face San Jose State (0-28, RPI 336) twice. Boise State's RPI was dragged down because they played them twice, and San Diego State's was propped up because they played them once. That's one of the reasons why Boise State (despite beating SDSU twice and winning the MW regular season) had to play AT Dayton in the first round of the tournament.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby RoyalShock » March 22nd, 2015, 3:05 pm

IndyTreeFan wrote:
RoyalShock wrote:
IndyTreeFan wrote:I'd love to add Belmont or Murray, but the conference really should look to add a western team to kind of pair up with Wichita. Not sure who that should be, though. I'm sure the Shocker fans have some ideas...

No, no, no, no, no.

The obvious answer (assuming a private school for balance) would be Oral Roberts.

And again I say, no, no, no, no, no.

Who would you add? Realistically, of course.

Private school: Belmont

Public: Murray St.

I think those are the only two realistic choices.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Redbird23 » March 22nd, 2015, 4:05 pm

I like Belmont and Murray State the most. I like the consideration of Tulsa but I doubt they would leave the American and also FBS for football, possibly consider adding DePaul or Creighton back (both highly doubtful)
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby achrist70 » March 22nd, 2015, 4:53 pm

I think that Belmont and Murrary State make sense, both are good programs looking to move to a conference that you have a chance at an at large bid.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby pafan » March 22nd, 2015, 6:39 pm

UAB isn't terrible geographically. Yes it would add a new dimension to the conference, but here's the drive times:

Closest to Evansville, about 5 hours drive. The same as Bradley Evansville to Bradley.
About 10 hours from Chicago, the same as their current drive to Wichita.
About 12 hours from Wichita.
About 13 hours from Des Moines and Cedarloo.

So, a long-ass drive from 3 of the 10 existing schools. But not long enough that it wouldn't be doable in one day.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby HiddenDragon » March 22nd, 2015, 7:10 pm

Hello. As you can tell by my handle name I am a UAB fan. Congratz to Wichita and pulling for Northern Iowa to beat Louisville.

Regarding the MVC potential interest in UAB, some of you know these have been very difficult times for UAB Athletics. Our current president has to be one of most despised individuals in the State of Alabama and the City of Birmingham. We are still waiting to see if CUSA will allow us to stay or not. Giving the short amount of time I wouldn't expect a potential change in conference until 2016.

That said, if we are not given back our football team, I would love to see UAB in the MVC. Birmingham is the 40th largest TV market in the country and we have a very good basketball history. And the MVC would definitely be an upgrade from a basketball perspective.

Looking forward to more conversation about this subject.
HiddenDragon
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Drakey » March 22nd, 2015, 7:39 pm

I think it would be wise to take UAB. They are much more attractive after having dropped Football. The future of Non-FBS schools in Basketball is in schools that do not field Football teams. Would love to get Belmont too.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball