UAB to the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UAB to the MVC?

Postby tribecalledquest » March 23rd, 2015, 10:58 am

I realize the name holds no power right now...but Northern Kentucky is a school to watch. They have a ton of money and won't be in the Atlantic Sun for long.

I am not advocating them, just mentioning them.

They have a very nice, 9,400 seat arena on campus and nice facilities overall.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » March 23rd, 2015, 11:37 am

tribecalledquest wrote:I realize the name holds no power right now...but Northern Kentucky is a school to watch. They have a ton of money and won't be in the Atlantic Sun for long.

Not another directional school! :D
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby HiddenDragon » March 23rd, 2015, 4:21 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:How long is UAB being given to try and resurrect their FB program? I suspect CUSA would give them a year or so to try and figure this out first.

If it's dead, dead, dead, then I'm mostly onboard with bringing them on. The bigger issue is finding #12 to go with them, and finding the right balance of teams. I'm just not very excited about any #12 candidate. Oral Bob can financial issues I believe, and I've harped on and on about how I'm worried about how Belmont or Murray St would transition to a much higher league. Heck, Denver might be my leader in the clubhouse at the moment.

I think you're right on target with CUSA probably given us a year to see what transpires with the football program. I think within the next few months we will probably here something regarding the status of football as to whether it will be resurrected or not. Meanwhile, there are many UAB fans that love football so much that they believe the article that was written regarding the MVC interest was a carrot being dangle by Watts to divide the fanbase. It's a long story so I won't bother to go into it.
HiddenDragon
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby E-Villan » March 23rd, 2015, 4:59 pm

HiddenDragon wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:How long is UAB being given to try and resurrect their FB program? I suspect CUSA would give them a year or so to try and figure this out first.

If it's dead, dead, dead, then I'm mostly onboard with bringing them on. The bigger issue is finding #12 to go with them, and finding the right balance of teams. I'm just not very excited about any #12 candidate. Oral Bob can financial issues I believe, and I've harped on and on about how I'm worried about how Belmont or Murray St would transition to a much higher league. Heck, Denver might be my leader in the clubhouse at the moment.

I think you're right on target with CUSA probably given us a year to see what transpires with the football program. I think within the next few months we will probably here something regarding the status of football as to whether it will be resurrected or not. Meanwhile, there are many UAB fans that love football so much that they believe the article that was written regarding the MVC interest was a carrot being dangle by Watts to divide the fanbase. It's a long story so I won't bother to go into it.

I read some of that on your board. Pretty interesting to say the least. Would love to hear something from our end on it. Elgin has hinted around that expansion is a possibility in recent months.

Birmingham is a nice town and market, and really not far out of our footprint, especially if a Belmont or Murray State came tagging along. I know many of you would love to keep football, but if it doesn't happen, I would love to see UAB in the Valley.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby isumvc1 » March 23rd, 2015, 5:38 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:I realize the name holds no power right now...but Northern Kentucky is a school to watch. They have a ton of money and won't be in the Atlantic Sun for long.

Northern Kentucky could possibly wind up in the Horizon League, I think all the conference shuffling that will occur will happen right after the Final 4 is over
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 23rd, 2015, 6:56 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:Heck, Denver might be my leader in the clubhouse at the moment.

Denver was my leader over Loyola this last round. They'd still be my choice, despite their poor performance this year.

Although if Wichita ever does leave, Denver would become a massive outlier.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » March 23rd, 2015, 7:26 pm

I believe the current longest trip from one MVC school to its nearest neighbor is WSU to MSU, about 4 hours.

With UAB it becomes UAB to Evansville at about 5 hours.

Denver to Wichita is 7. Without WSU, the nearest opponent to Denver would be Drake at 9 hours.

Bottom line: Kansas is big.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Wufan » March 23rd, 2015, 7:43 pm

Internet rumors heating up that the AAC is interested in WSU, though no rumors of merit have surfaced, sealed envelope or otherwise.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 23rd, 2015, 8:18 pm

Wufan wrote:Internet rumors heating up that the AAC is interested in WSU, though no rumors of merit have surfaced, sealed envelope or otherwise.

It's just my opinion ... but in two seasons I expect WSU to be in the AAC and UAB to be in the MVC.

I'm happy to eat crow if that's not the case. But I think WSU wants to move forward, I think the AAC now understands that they need to improve their basketball product, I think WSU is too big to not get the opportunity, and I don't think UAB has a hope at getting their football team back. I'm also not sure if Marshall will be with WSU when that happens, although I still think whether/when he leaves depends on what job opens up. And I don't think he'll leave until FVV/Baker graduate.

Just my prediction.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » March 24th, 2015, 7:13 am

Wufan wrote:Internet rumors heating up that the AAC is interested in WSU, though no rumors of merit have surfaced, sealed envelope or otherwise.

I don't follow realignment speculation as closely as some, but it seems to me that the obvious risk of such a move is that the AAC seems almost certain to undergo change very soon. Both UConn and Cincy want out and they are the two best basketball programs. My concern is that WSU could have buyer's remorse very quickly if that occurred. I'd rather see the MVC take a proactive approach and strengthen our league.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball