UAB to the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UAB to the MVC?

Postby UABlazin » March 24th, 2015, 7:32 am

unipanther99 wrote:Maybe the UAB poster can address this. I'm concerned with their seeming lack of autonomy in relation to the Crimson Tide-centric University of Alabama system. If football is dead, will Tuscaloosa leave UAB alone, or are you worried about further interference?

The BOT has never seemed overly concerned with the other sports, but they've wanted to kill football for years. As long as the current President and BOT are in power I don't think football will be back.

The MVC is a great conference and is a better possibility than I would have thought for us a few months ago.
UABlazin
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheDrake » March 24th, 2015, 8:03 am

I'd love to see the Valley add both UAB and Belmont. This would expand the conference's footprint significantly and add two great cities in Birmingham and Nashville.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » March 24th, 2015, 8:30 am

MVCfans wrote:
Wufan wrote:Internet rumors heating up that the AAC is interested in WSU, though no rumors of merit have surfaced, sealed envelope or otherwise.

I don't follow realignment speculation as closely as some, but it seems to me that the obvious risk of such a move is that the AAC seems almost certain to undergo change very soon. Both UConn and Cincy want out and they are the two best basketball programs. My concern is that WSU could have buyer's remorse very quickly if that occurred. I'd rather see the MVC take a proactive approach and strengthen our league.

I agree with much of this. I don't pay a ton of attention, but enough to know enough to have a conversation when it comes to realignment.

Cinci and UCONN are both gone on the next train that pulls into the station.

Cinci to the B12 seems like a very real possibility. The B12 is at 10 right now, and if they can get to 12 they will. I've heard it's basically down to picking 2 of Cinci, Memphis and Houston. Let's say it's Cinci and Memphis (the two most likely).

Assuming it takes UCONN also finds a new home, which is likely, who else does the AAC add? It's going to need another football school. That likely means they are pulling a CUSA program or invite Navy as a full time member, and not just football. If they pull a CUSA team I'd put money UTSA or WKU. For this exercise let's pretend it's WKU as it seems most likely....

Central Florida
East Carolina
Houston
South Florida
SMU
Temple
Tulane
Tulsa
Western Kentucky
Wichita State

You think WSU is a geographic outlier in the MVC.......or that the MVC is top heavy....

If AAC pulls WKU, CUSA probably pulls a SBC member or an FCS. A FCS team for CUSA means the SB goes after an FCS program...and Missouri State would be fighting hard for it. Essentially we could end up trading Missouri State for UAB.

If the MVC could pull UAB and Murray State/Belmont (or both if musical chairs lands Missouri State in the Sun Belt) it would be every bit the equal of the AAC in terms of competitiveness and quality. Yes, WSU is still going to be an outlier - that's going to happen with every single conference except the B12 and without high level football that's a 5th level of inception dream for WSU.

The only thing the AAC would have over the MVC at that point, granted it's not a small thing, is the TV contract. How long would that contract actually stick around though? Right now the conference can at least sell Cinci and UCONN as a package deal. When those two are gone and you're left with Tulane/USF as your prime time game you aren't going to attract a lot of TV offers.

Here's the AAC with WSU
http://www.mapcustomizer.com/map/AAC%20BB

Here's the MVC (with MSU still here and not in the Sun Belt)
http://www.mapcustomizer.com/map/MVC%20BB

Would it not be in everyone's best interest (the conference and every member school) to do everything possible to land some combo of UAB, Belmont, Murray State, Denver, New Mexico State, SLU and/or Dayton?

We all love the true round robin because it allows for a "true champion". If the league expands and becomes a 2 or 3 bid league before the auto-bid ever gets thought of isn't that a win/win for everyone?

Is the AAC going to continue to be that kind of league when....not if...Cinci and UCONN are gone? I don't think so.

A MVC with UNI, WSU, ISUr, UAB, Belmont/Murray State would be plus the rest
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » March 24th, 2015, 9:10 am

Where do you folks see UConn escaping to?

They are stuck like chuck. Bitter about it, yes, but the B1G and ACC were their only landing strips in the storm and both have turned off the lights on the runway (and in the ACC's case, there is a member(s) who would actively lobby against their membership).
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » March 24th, 2015, 9:25 am

Play Angry wrote:Where do you folks see UConn escaping to?

They are stuck like chuck. Bitter about it, yes, but the B1G and ACC were their only landing strips in the storm and both have turned off the lights on the runway (and in the ACC's case, there is a member(s) who would actively lobby against their membership).

I won't be shocked to see the B10 at 16. They could essentially run 2 divisions in all sports and could run the basketball tournament as the top 5-6 from each division. Who that would include, I don't know, but I'd bet UCONN is a part of it with another east coast team...Temple?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » March 24th, 2015, 9:33 am

uniftw wrote:

I won't be shocked to see the B10 at 16. They could essentially run 2 divisions in all sports and could run the basketball tournament as the top 5-6 from each division. Who that would include, I don't know, but I'd bet UCONN is a part of it with another east coast team...Temple?

Although not impossible, you're definitely entering throwing darts against the wall territory. There's really no talk of that strategy being implemented anytime soon.

I think writing off UConn as "gone" in the next couple years is, at best, very premature.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » March 24th, 2015, 9:42 am

So, you'd want to be 1500 miles away from your biggest (and possibly only) rival?

That doesn't make much sense...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » March 24th, 2015, 10:13 am

BCPanther wrote:So, you'd want to be 1500 miles away from your biggest (and possibly only) rival?

That doesn't make much sense...

I mean, it's silly to get too into a "Merits of the AAC" debate at this point since everything is conjecture and probably still a longshot. And I can't really tell what you're getting at, but if it's an assertion that UConn (or another team 1500 miles away) would be WSU's only rival in that conference, that is very wrong.

Tulsa, a 2+ hour drive away, is the rivalry we never replaced from the 90s on. Creighton was getting close when they departed. We would immediately have a stronger historic and geographic rival in the AAC than anything we have in the current MVC.

The jist of my argument was that I think it's silly to say "UConn is gone" when they have nowhere to go.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » March 24th, 2015, 10:21 am

Play Angry wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Although not impossible, you're definitely entering throwing darts against the wall territory. There's really no talk of that strategy being implemented anytime soon.

I think writing off UConn as "gone" in the next couple years is, at best, very premature.

UCONN is throwing darts but be honest with yourself....do you see UCONN sticking around when, if WSU doesn't join, the next best program (because face it, Cinci and/or Memphis are likely gone to the B12 sooner than later) is SMU or Temple...and after that is...well.......

You think having to travel to St. Louis is bad for a conference tournament - enjoy traveling to Orlando the next two years...yes, Orlando is a nicer destination than St. Louis but if distance is the issue then Orlando is a non-starter.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » March 24th, 2015, 10:30 am

I think you're missing the point completely. I'm not arguing that UConn doesn't want out. They do, desperately.

The problem is that nobody wants them and it takes two to tango. Trust me, WSU fans are very familiar with the concept.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball