UAB to the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UAB to the MVC?

Postby TheDrake » May 1st, 2015, 10:30 am

uniftw wrote:The reason I even asked is this

The MVFC is made up of 5 MVC, 4 Summit and 1 Horizon.

The Summit was able to bully their way into getting South Dakota into the MVFC because they threatened to pull their teams to another conference, or start their own, if USD wasn't let in. The minimum number for keeping an AQ bid to the FCS playoffs is 7 '(I believe). Getting to 6 MVFC and 1 Horizon team takes pretty much all the leverage away from the Summit to split.

Why is that a benefit to the MVC?

If UNI, SIU, ISUr, MSU and ISUb were all of a sudden out of a football conference they would need to look for a new home. No conference is going to take 5 football only members, especially when almost all of them are better basketball programs than that conference currently has. You think WSU doesn't like the MVC now, just wait until UNI is gone and there isn't a second team holding a name nationally and your left at 5 schools with all of them being bottom half teams, sans WSU.

I was just asking because I think it would actually strengthen the MVC from defections that could be football related (sans MSU who seems hell bent on playing in an FBS league that's significantly worse than their FCS league). It's also why I would like to see Drake go MVFC as well, even if they stayed offering no, or next to no scholarships.

The issue with Drake is they like to create a "mystique" about their program that they are the same level as UNI and are just as good as UNI because of that when the reality is very different. Being forced to play UNI on a yearly basis would ruin that real quick.

Lol, "mystique"? I can personally guarantee you that no one at Drake gives a enough of a s*** about the football team to try and create a mystique. The only people that go to the games are the player's parents.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » May 1st, 2015, 11:23 am

UAB dumped football. Why is this thread talking about football?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 1st, 2015, 11:44 am

Wufan wrote:UAB dumped football. Why is this thread talking about football?

Because I asked a question about if they decided to bring it back as an FCS if that would be a problem. That then led into UAB being an affiliate elsewhere as a possibility and why it would be beneficial for the MVC for UAB to be MVFC IF they did.

WSU fans don't need get all pissy because someone said the word "football" around this place
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » May 1st, 2015, 12:35 pm

Trying to cast WuFan as "pissy" is pretty rich.

Especially for someone who is apparently threatened by the Drake football team.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 1st, 2015, 1:22 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Trying to cast WuFan as "pissy" is pretty rich.

Especially for someone who is apparently threatened by the Drake football team.

I never once indicated being threatened. Far from. Drake would likely go 0-8 in conference play for the next 5-6 years losing by 20+ ppg. That's part of the reason they won't do it. They (the coaches/school) like to play the "We're the same level as UNI and Southern Illinois" card to recruits but are extremely hesitant to play those kinds of teams because it exposes them for what they are
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Someone_Else » May 1st, 2015, 1:44 pm

With the exception of Mo State I could not see any school place themselves in a worse basketball conference just for their FCS football.

Although there are a local minority of WSU fans that want football, I believe most would rather be successful in the existing sports then divert attention and money away for football. So I feel confident in saying that WSU doesn't give two flying tacos about the Gateway Conference(MVFC) or its effect on the MVC.

FCS football is regional.
Someone_Else
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby uniftw » May 1st, 2015, 2:24 pm

Someone_Else wrote:With the exception of Mo State I could not see any school place themselves in a worse basketball conference just for their FCS football.

Although there are a local minority of WSU fans that want football, I believe most would rather be successful in the existing sports then divert attention and money away for football. So I feel confident in saying that WSU doesn't give two flying tacos about the Gateway Conference(MVFC) or its effect on the MVC.

If you don't believe the Summit pulling their teams from the MVFC and doing a complete split wouldn't have some serious impacts on the MVC you're kidding yourself.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Someone_Else » May 1st, 2015, 3:30 pm

uniftw wrote:
Someone_Else wrote:With the exception of Mo State I could not see any school place themselves in a worse basketball conference just for their FCS football.

If you don't believe the Summit pulling their teams from the MVFC and doing a complete split wouldn't have some serious impacts on the MVC you're kidding yourself.

Ok, the four Summit schools break away and start their own conference. Maybe every MVFC school joins the Summit for football, are you saying the UNI or another school would then decide to leave MVC? I find that hard to believe.
Someone_Else
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby rlh04d » May 1st, 2015, 4:46 pm

uniftw wrote:WSU fans don't need get all pissy because someone said the word "football" around this place

This thing where one fan responds to you and you generalize them onto an entire fanbase is becoming a theme with you. Next you'll still be bringing up how "WSU fans get angry when football is mentioned" three weeks from now.

UNI fans really seem to have a problem with singular form.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » May 1st, 2015, 4:49 pm

Now as for UAB, at this point I'm assuming they'll be in the MVC in 2016.

Assuming no one leaves, what team joins with them?
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball