Geno Gone

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Geno Gone

Postby bufan42 » March 24th, 2015, 11:41 am

Play Angry wrote:
Majik45 wrote:Former IU coach Mike Davis is another name I heard in play in the paper this morning.

Interesting. What do BU fans think of him?

Davis would be a home run hire but I dont think BU is headed that way... Not sold on the "southern roots" comment as he coached at Indiana in some capacity for 10 years.

Guy has been to a title game AND has made the ncaa tourney at every place hes been. no brainer to me
bufan42
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » March 24th, 2015, 1:58 pm

Mike Davis was fired at his two previous stops before Texas Southern.

I'm not sure that = No brainer.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » March 25th, 2015, 1:51 pm

I was very sorry to see this happen to Geno but it had to be done. Fans liked him and colleagues liked him. The results just weren't there. He's an honest guy and very sharp and I'm sure some day he'll find success somewhere.

I like Mike Davis although I'm not expecting Reynolds to go there. MD spent 10 years at Indiana (6 as head coach) so he should have sufficient midwest ties. His last year at Indiana he made the second round of the NCAA. At UAB, he was fired a year after winning the CUSA title and making the NCAAs. Tough crowd. We won't fire him a year after making the NCAA at Bradley. (NIT maybe-- ask Molinari.) And in 3 years at Texas Southern, he's won 4 championships (2 regular season, 2 tournaments).

Davis has been a head coach for 15 seasons, and has 7 NCAAs and 4 NITs. That doesn't sound so bad to me after 4 years of Geno.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » March 25th, 2015, 2:05 pm

The latest name to surface is D2 West Liberty's Jim Cruthfield, whose teams have averaged over 100 points since Day One in his 11 years. With a career record of 300-53, he currently has the highest win% among coaches all-time, and is the winningest active coach by percentage.

West Liberty was not a D2 power before he took over. They fell one game short of 5 straight D2 Elite 8 appearances, and 2 wins shy of a fifth straight 30-win season. He also has had the D2 National POY 2 of the last 3 years.

http://www.hilltoppersports.com/coaches ... ath=mbball

Grantland did a feature on him a couple years ago.
http://grantland.com/features/college-b ... utchfield/
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » March 25th, 2015, 3:58 pm

squirrel wrote:The latest name to surface is D2 West Liberty's Jim Cruthfield, whose teams have averaged over 100 points since Day One in his 11 years. With a career record of 300-53, he currently has the highest win% among coaches all-time, and is the winningest active coach by percentage.

West Liberty was not a D2 power before he took over. They fell one game short of 5 straight D2 Elite 8 appearances, and 2 wins shy of a fifth straight 30-win season. He also has had the D2 National POY 2 of the last 3 years.

http://www.hilltoppersports.com/coaches ... ath=mbball

Grantland did a feature on him a couple years ago.
http://grantland.com/features/college-b ... utchfield/

That'd be a VERY interesting add. If he's going to go to the D1, it needs to be ASAP, though. He's already 59.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » March 26th, 2015, 9:22 am

Yeah, it would be very intriguing. I doubt he's a serious candidate, and he's supposedly turned down DI offers before. However, I have wondered about with the possibility of the 30-second shot clock, we are interested in him as a potential assistant coach. But that potential rule change won't be known for sure until May.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » March 27th, 2015, 7:27 pm

Brian wardle it is
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball