Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Postby Wufan » April 1st, 2015, 6:50 pm

Wufan wrote:
rally wrote:That's not accurate. He made $350k in calendar year 2011, which was only for a partial year. As I previously mentioned, his first full year in 2012 he made $650k.

To guess, his initial contract likely progressed at roughly $650k-$700k-$750k. He then received a raise/extension last year before the Elite 8 run, which I would guess put him in the $900k-$1M range. Gregory was making roughly $1M/yr before he left for comparison. He was given another raise/extension at the end of this season. Factoring in the Elite 8 run and a couple tourney wins this season, I would conservatively guess it to be in the $1.25M-$1.5M range.

You saying it doesn't make it true. How do you what he makes? Post a link.

Nevermind. I found this for his 2015 salary:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... ball/coach

$652K. This was contrary to all of the other numbers I saw, but kudos to you for knowing what's what.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rlh04d » April 1st, 2015, 7:29 pm

rally wrote:
Wufan wrote:
rally wrote:I could make a guess, but I don't have an actual number.

Miller was given an extension this year with his base increasing from $350,000.

That's not accurate. He made $350k in calendar year 2011, which was only for a partial year. As I previously mentioned, his first full year in 2012 he made $650k.

To guess, his initial contract likely progressed at roughly $650k-$700k-$750k. He then received a raise/extension last year before the Elite 8 run, which I would guess put him in the $900k-$1M range. Gregory was making roughly $1M/yr before he left for comparison. He was given another raise/extension at the end of this season. Factoring in the Elite 8 run and a couple tourney wins this season, I would conservatively guess it to be in the $1.25M-$1.5M range.

Sorry, but unless you have some evidence of that, those numbers are ridiculous.

According to this link, which relies on USA Today data from the 2014 NCAA season, he made $335,152 going into the tournament in 2014. That's roughly half of what you're claiming he made in 2012: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2 ... s/7215763/

Forbes lists the same salary here from 2014: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/fiei45gh ... of-dayton/

His contract was extended following the 2014 tournament, apparently up to $652k, per newer USA Today salary database information. That's the amount you're claiming he made in his first full year, and half to nearly a third of what you're claiming he makes now. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... ball/coach

These salaries also match what the University of Dayton has reported to the federal government, which you can find here: http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/ ... According to that site, the total combined salaries of ALL Dayton men's athletic head coaches was $548,219 in 2013-14, which is plenty of room for Miller to have been making the $335k shown above, leaving an extra $213k spread among all other men's head coaches. And while Dayton is a private school and, as far as I know, not required to provide that data to the government, why would they willingly provide that optional info only to intentionally falsify it?

I have absolutely no clue where you're getting a "conservative estimate" of $1.5 million, considering that's closing in on three times what every other source I can find shows. He did just receive a contract extension; it is phenomenally unlikely he received a 130% raise within it. A conservative estimate might put him at $800-900k now.

All available data shows his salary as $335k --> $652k --> whatever he just got.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rally » April 1st, 2015, 7:40 pm

Wufan wrote:
Wufan wrote:
rally wrote:That's not accurate. He made $350k in calendar year 2011, which was only for a partial year. As I previously mentioned, his first full year in 2012 he made $650k.

You saying it doesn't make it true. How do you what he makes? Post a link.

Nevermind. I found this for his 2015 salary:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... ball/coach

$652K. This was contrary to all of the other numbers I saw, but kudos to you for knowing what's what.

That would be his 2012 salary. Click on the methodology. FYI, Dayton is a private school.

Private schools: Pay information came from federal tax returns. Documents provide compensation data for the 2012 calendar year, based on all income paid by the school or related organization, including benefits, perks and performance bonuses.

Confirms what I said earlier.

rally wrote:Limited info out there, but he made $650K in calendar year 2012, his first full year.
rally
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby rlh04d » April 1st, 2015, 7:49 pm

rally wrote:That would be his 2012 salary. Click on the methodology. FYI, Dayton is a private school.

Private schools: Pay information came from federal tax returns. Documents provide compensation data for the 2012 calendar year, based on all income paid by the school or related organization, including benefits, perks and performance bonuses.

Confirms what I said earlier.

rally wrote:Limited info out there, but he made $650K in calendar year 2012, his first full year.

Except that data, for private schools, also includes all incentives/bonuses. It's not base salary.

You do definitely have a point on the USA Today data being old, though.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » April 1st, 2015, 8:38 pm

Internet rumors and the rumored lists both say Marshall was never considered by Texas. Texas' AD doesn't think Marshall's personality would fit in to the brand name Texas wants to promote.

Marshall can rub people the wrong way.

The other side of the argument is that Texas has some big $$ boosters who like to pull strings inside the athletic department and Marshall would have no chance of keeping those donors happy.

I was never worried about Bama. Bama fired a coach who was willing to schedule a H/H with Marshall. That's the kind of thing that makes a P5 coach a lifelong best friend forever of a coach in a mid-level conference. You don't fire someone and then expect his buddy to come in and take his job.

Marshall has said (and followed through on) he will listen to offers. He has never gone public with turning one down. At this time, the appearance is that both Marshall and Bama have put their interest in each other in the rear view mirror of life.

Last year UCLA established that $3.2 mill wouldn't deliver Marshall. This year, it looks like Bama offering $25 mill over 6 years wasn't enough.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bigdawg » April 1st, 2015, 8:45 pm

Marshall staying at WSU.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jwa123 » April 1st, 2015, 9:04 pm

I just saw elsewhere that Gregg Marshall has agreed to a new 7 year contract with WSU. If true, that's good news. Congratulations Shocker fans!
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Khan4Cats » April 2nd, 2015, 7:57 am

Khan4Cats wrote:
Play Angry wrote:You never know, but I'd peg Alabama's odds here at slim to none. If Gregg wants to leave there is another football school who'd shitcan their current guy in a heartbeat for him, and they have far more money and better facilities than Alabama in a location he recruits more heavily. The Tide are setting themselves up for a PR embarrassment when he says no.

I feel very safe that HCGM is staying put this offseason. If I am wrong, I would be beyond shocked if it were for Alabama.

I kind of am interested in hearing their response to his condition of accepting the job as dropping the football program.

ie, I agree that I don't see him going to a school where football is king and he stands behind the football coach in Athetic Department priorities. Now, there was a theory posted on Panthernation about maybe Crean looking to get out of Indiana and heading south. That ripple effect I might worry about for the Shockers, but it's hard to see Gregg leaving before Ron and Fred are done.

They must not have wanted to drop football. :D

Good for the Valley and WSU.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball