Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Rollbird5 » March 23rd, 2015, 11:37 am

Alabama is preparing to offer Marshall in excess of $3 million per year. Here's the link to the article: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... g-marshall

plan to pitch piles of money, athletic department with a culture of winning and every resource he needs to compete with anybody on a national level.

I know he's happy but that's a big offer to consider. Don't think he will leave but sounds like Bama is going all out to get him
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Postby Rambler63 » March 23rd, 2015, 11:49 am

DePaul is reportedly looking at Buffalo's Bobby Hurley. DePaul was paying Purnell $2.2 million.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/jon-gre ... tely-needs

http://zagsblog.com/articles/source-dep ... turn-down/

Ben Howland is out of the running after accepting the Mississippi State job today.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Singeril » March 23rd, 2015, 12:01 pm

Bama is, and always will be, a football school. I don't think that this is the kind of school where Marshall wants to go.
Singeril
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby achrist70 » March 23rd, 2015, 12:02 pm

I kind of think that 3 million is going to be Alabama's starting offer, wouldn't surprise me to throw more money at him if he shows any interest. I just don't see him leaving for Alabama though.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby hot nuts » March 23rd, 2015, 12:42 pm

Looks like Bama wants to start spending that football money to upgrade their basketball program.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » March 23rd, 2015, 1:04 pm

You never know, but I'd peg Alabama's odds here at slim to none. If Gregg wants to leave there is another football school who'd shitcan their current guy in a heartbeat for him, and they have far more money and better facilities than Alabama in a location he recruits more heavily. The Tide are setting themselves up for a PR embarrassment when he says no.

I feel very safe that HCGM is staying put this offseason. If I am wrong, I would be beyond shocked if it were for Alabama.

Also what a surprise that a Redbird fan started this thread. Everyone needs hope I suppose.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » March 23rd, 2015, 1:20 pm

Not sure the dig at a redbird fan starting the thread citing a quote from a legit basketball insider is warranted. I would hate to see Marshall leave and have WSU potentially take a slide. That's pretty hard to pass up, not just from a $$$ standpoint, but also if they plan on putting resources behind him that he would need too.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » March 23rd, 2015, 2:12 pm

Play Angry wrote:You never know, but I'd peg Alabama's odds here at slim to none. If Gregg wants to leave there is another football school who'd shitcan their current guy in a heartbeat for him, and they have far more money and better facilities than Alabama in a location he recruits more heavily. The Tide are setting themselves up for a PR embarrassment when he says no.

I feel very safe that HCGM is staying put this offseason. If I am wrong, I would be beyond shocked if it were for Alabama.

I kind of am interested in hearing their response to his condition of accepting the job as dropping the football program.

ie, I agree that I don't see him going to a school where football is king and he stands behind the football coach in Athetic Department priorities. Now, there was a theory posted on Panthernation about maybe Crean looking to get out of Indiana and heading south. That ripple effect I might worry about for the Shockers, but it's hard to see Gregg leaving before Ron and Fred are done.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » March 23rd, 2015, 2:45 pm

Love him or hate him, if Gregg Marshall leaves WSU, it is a loss to the school but to the Valley as a whole as well. I hope he stays
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Rollbird5 » March 23rd, 2015, 2:56 pm

Play Angry wrote:
Also what a surprise that a Redbird fan started this thread. Everyone needs hope I suppose.

Just started it as informative valley basketball news. My hope is in the progression of our team, coach, and new recruits the rest of the NIT and off-season. If our team doesn't continue to improve it doesn't matter who is coaching wsu. We battled wsu pretty good this year and were able to get over the hump in one game so hopefully that can lead to some more good matchups next year between our two teams.
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball